ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

This Message Board is designed to discuss issues concerning Gurmat, Gurbani, issues related to the Sikh Panth and Sikh history. Any type of posts that contain vulgar language, personal attacks, flame wars, and content against the teachings of Gurmat are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Constructive, respectful debates with the aim to learn about Gurmat are encouraged. Arguments simply for the sake of argument will not be tolerated. Moderators and Administrators have authority to delete/edit such posts. Administrators and moderators only interest is to maintain a constructive, well run Message Board which promotes learning and Gurmat inspiration. www.tapoban.org does not necessarily endorse the views and opinions voiced on these forums, and cannot be held responsible for the content of sites linked from these pages or the views of the members posting here.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
deen duniya dar kamandey - need translation
Posted by: guroo guroo jap (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 06:43PM

sangat jio, i need the translation of Bhai Nand Laal Ji's gazal about Dhan Guru Gobind Singh ji:

dIn dunIAw dr kmMdy AW prI ru^swir mw ]
hr do Awlm kImqy Xk qwir mUey Xwir mw ]
mw nmy Awrym qwby gmzey imXZwin aU ]
Xk ingwhy jW i&zwieS bs bvd drkwir mw ]
gwih sU&I gwih zwihd gwih klMdr my Svd ]
rMghwey mu^qil& dwrd buqy A~Xwir mw ]
kdr lwly aU bjuz AwiSk ndwnd hyc ks ]
kImqy XwkUq dwnd cSim gOhr bwir mw ]
hr n&s goXw bXwdy nrgsy m^mUir aU ]
bwdw hwey SOk my nOSd idly huiSAwir mw ]

bhai kulbir singh ji had given the meaning of the first two lines (except for 'deen duniya dar kamandey') in this thread - [www.tapoban.org]

could veerji or somoene else please give a brief translation for the rest of the shabad? It would be appreciated if this was posted by friday morning as i would like to sing the shabad and give the translation for guru gobind singh ji's gurpurab.

thank u pyario.

Re: deen duniya dar kamandey - need translation
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 07:01AM

I will try to translate to the best of my ability. I don't have a steek of Bhai Nandlal jee at this time, therefore the translation may not be up to par:

----------
mw nmy Awrym qwby gmzey imXZwin aU ]
Xk ingwhy jW i&zwieS bs bvd drkwir mw ]

----------

The first pankiti means that I cannot sustain or bear the movement of the eyebrows of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj. ‘Maa Namay Aaraem taabay’ - I cannot bear it. “Ghamza-e-Miyghaan-e.oo” means the Ishaara of his eyes. The word “Ghamza” is used to describe the killer glance of your pyaara. Mirza Ghalib has used this word in one of his shayers as follows:

Yeh paree chehra log kaise hain.
Ghamza-o-Ishwa-o-Adaa Kya hai.

Ghamza means ishaara or communication done through eyebrows. Bhai Nandlal jee is basically saying that when his pyaara i.e. Siri Guru jee looks at him, he can’t bear it i.e. he is so much filled in Rass.

The second pankiti means that ‘just one glance that is life-filling, is enough for me’. Yak means one, nigaah means glance, jaan-fizaayash means life-giving. Darkaar means enough.

-------
gwih sU&I gwih zwihd gwih klMdr my Svd ]
rMghwey mu^qil& dwrd buqy A~Xwir mw ]

--------

Here Bhai Sahib talks about the spiritual greatness of Guru Sahib. Sufi means a Sufi Faqir. Zaahid means a religious scholar that follows Sharia to the fullest. Kalandar means a spiritual faqir. Ranghaaye is the plural of Rang or colour. Mukhtalif means different.

The whole shayer means that ‘O Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaj, you alone pervade or exist within the Sufi, Zaahid and a Kalandar. These seem like different colours, but in reality you alone are pervading in everyone.

--------
kdr lwly aU bjuz AwiSk ndwnd hyc ks ]
kImqy XwkUq dwnd cSim gOhr bwir mw ]

---------

Kadar means keemat, laal means jewel, Bajuz means without, aashiq means lover. Chasham means eye, gauhar means jewel.

The whole shayer means that the price or kadar of a jewel is not known by anyone other than the aashiq or lover. The price of Vaheguru-roopi jewel is known only by our eye (chasham) that is shedding jewel-roopi tears all the time.

----------
hr n&s goXw bXwdy nrgsy m^mUir aU ]
bwdw hwey SOk my nOSd idly huiSAwir mw]

----------

Har means every, nafas means every moment, goiya means Bhai Nandlal jee, Nargis is a kind of flower, Makhmoor means intoxicated, Bada means liquor or sharaab and here it means the spiritual sharaab of Naam.

The whole shayer I think means that every moment ‘Goiya’ (Bhai Nandlal jee’s poet-name) stays intoxicated in the yaad or remembrance of beautiful flower like Vaheguru. Even though he is intoxicated in the spiritual shauq, still his heart is hoshiyaar or alert in his yaad.

Bhai Sahib’s baani is of very high level and my intelligence is very lowly. A lot of mistakes may have been committed. Sangat bakash lave.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Mehtab Singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 07:23AM

Vaaheguroo!
What an amazing expression of roohaani ishq for Satgurujee!!!

Posted by: freed (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 07:30AM

Gurfateh!

here is a translation by B P L Bedi

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6918/dsc03373xu5.jpg

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3999/dsc03372gr3.jpg

* from The Pilgrim's Way - Diwan of Bhai Nand Lal Goya - B P L Bedi - PUP - 1999

Hope that helps

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

© 2007-2011 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib