ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

This Message Board is designed to discuss issues concerning Gurmat, Gurbani, issues related to the Sikh Panth and Sikh history. Any type of posts that contain vulgar language, personal attacks, flame wars, and content against the teachings of Gurmat are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Constructive, respectful debates with the aim to learn about Gurmat are encouraged. Arguments simply for the sake of argument will not be tolerated. Moderators and Administrators have authority to delete/edit such posts. Administrators and moderators only interest is to maintain a constructive, well run Message Board which promotes learning and Gurmat inspiration. www.tapoban.org does not necessarily endorse the views and opinions voiced on these forums, and cannot be held responsible for the content of sites linked from these pages or the views of the members posting here.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Doubts About Laridaar Saroop
Posted by: Sardar Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 30, 2009 08:58PM

I recently saw a debate about Laridaar Saroop vs. Pad Chhed Saroop. A number of points were raised which I wanted to answer here.

1) There are several printing mistakes in both Laridaar and Pad Chhed Saroops

- yes, this is true. But to equate unintentional printing errors with the intentional manmat of changing Guru Sahib's saroop and deciding what the correct pad chhed is for all words and forcing that on the reader (whether it is correct or incorrect), is ridiculous. Yes, the uninentional printing errors should be corrected but they should not be used to justify pad-chhed.

2) Guru Sahib used different kannas than present saroops and the manglacharans were in different places.

-I have seen numerous puratan saroops and the kannas are not different than what we see in printed saroops today. In the very early Gurmukhi, the kanna was often just a dot. The oldest saroop I have seen is from 1644 and even that uses a line.

-Manglacharans: there are some printed saroops with all manglacharans first. I have seen numerous handwritten puratan saroops though with the manglacharans ahead and behind. I have only seen one puratan saroop with all the manglacharans first. I suspect and it makes logical sense that this is the way it should be and was originally though.

But once again, these issues are not one of intention. If there are errors, they are unintentional. No one has attempted to change Guru Sahib's doing.

3) Larreevaar Saroops break words in "inappropriate ways" than Pad-Chheyd. Often, words in Larreevaar Saroops are broken at the end of the line and continued on the next line.

-This argument is born from complete ignorance. This is not pad-chhed at all. Where the line ends, the word must be carried on to the next line. All puratan saroops are like this. The intention is not to break the word and the paathi understands that what appears at the end of a line is not necessarily an entire word.

4) Baba Deep Singh prepared saroops in Farsi and Arabic. These were altering the original form of the Guru Sahib's Saroop.

-Do you know that these saroops were meant to be parkash and treated as Guru Granth Sahib? Can you provide any historical reference to suggest they were treated the same as Guru Granth Sahib in Gurmukhi?

In summary, where there are unintentional errors in Laridaar, they are due to human imperfection which is forgivable. Where someone has used their own mat (intellect) to break Guru Sahib's saroop into pad chhed and impose their own mat on the reader (often incorrectly breaking words), accepting pad-chhed amounts to accepting manmat.

Pad-chhed saroops should not be parkaash and Gursikhs should not accept them. Laridaar is the Saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib and no one has the authority to change that.

Re: Doubts About Laridaar Saroop
Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2009 09:24PM

Gurbani is agaadh BODH !! Meaning that GURU Jis KIRPA..Gurparsaad is ESSENTIAL.
Laridaar sroop ensures we never let go of the Guru Jis little finger..its His Kirpa/Gurparsaad that GUIDES US...in Padd-chhedd sroop we let go of Guru Jis fingers and depend on the budhi of the person who did the padd-chhedd. simple as that. On a padd-chhedd sroop the pathi just races along reading what the padd-chhedd writer intends..Guru Ji is left by the sidelines.

1. I wholeheartedly support that the PS (padd-chhedd sroop) should be used for TEACHING/LEARNING process..as in a classroom situation the important thing is to begin communicating with Guru ji..take it one step at a time..BUT then when competent..we must do further paaths on the LS (laridaar sroop) and stop relying on the PS..or we will NEVER get to relish the rass that one gets form a LS.

2. Its a MYTH..that LS paath is difficult..prone to errors..etc. That is an escapist excuse that i dont buy from anyone. To the LAZY person..anything is difficult...to such a person even doing nitnem may also become difficult...doing sehaj paath continously may also become difficult..IF we cant take that little EXTRA STEP towards the GURU we say we Love..what can be said about our attitude ??
One of my SLOWEST GURBANI studnets (lowest educated)..did only two paaths on PS..and then wnated to try the LS...after just three times going the complete way..she is now so fluent and came out TOPS in my class...she also said LS is so much exciting..a new experience everytime she begins paath..what more proof..when Gurbani also declares..Satgur Mera nit Navaahn.... So "education" is not important..its LOVE and DEDICATION that we need.

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

Re: Doubts About Laridaar Saroop
Posted by: admin (IP Logged)
Date: June 02, 2010 08:15AM

Bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

© 2007-2011 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib