ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

This Message Board is designed to discuss issues concerning Gurmat, Gurbani, issues related to the Sikh Panth and Sikh history. Any type of posts that contain vulgar language, personal attacks, flame wars, and content against the teachings of Gurmat are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Constructive, respectful debates with the aim to learn about Gurmat are encouraged. Arguments simply for the sake of argument will not be tolerated. Moderators and Administrators have authority to delete/edit such posts. Administrators and moderators only interest is to maintain a constructive, well run Message Board which promotes learning and Gurmat inspiration. www.tapoban.org does not necessarily endorse the views and opinions voiced on these forums, and cannot be held responsible for the content of sites linked from these pages or the views of the members posting here.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dasvandh
Posted by: Aalas Moorakh (IP Logged)
Date: December 22, 2009 01:31PM

Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo ji ki fateh.

Just a quick question regarding dasvandh. Basically my question is where should your dasvandh go to? Iv recently believed that it should go towards Gurus parchaar, however iv started to doubt it a little bit as we always say that the Gurus golak is a poor persons mouth (ie the money given to guruji should be to feed poor people). But then again Guru sahib says a poor person can feel like a King if he is with god and the problem that the whole of humantiy faces is a spiritual one, which would back the idea of putting the dasvandh towards parchaar.

If it is parchaar, what kind of parchaar should you put it towards.
If it is poor/ill people how do you know the money will not be abused (ie to buy drugs/alcohol).

This was a quick question which has turned long :O)

Re: Dasvandh
Posted by: Takhat Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 23, 2009 08:59AM

Dasvandh is essentially, as you said, for Panthic causes. It is like a tax on a Sikh to be submitted to the Panth. In earlier times it would go directly to Guru Sahib but now a Sikh must decide where to give it. It could go to a Gurdwara or additionally you could spend it on books to give people or some other Panthic cause.

In addition to Dasvandh, a Sikh is still encouraged to be a generous and daani person and to help those in need. A poor person's mouth is still Guru ki Golak but that doesn't mean that covers Dasvandh.

I used to always give food or some other item in lieu of money to beggars but I learned that many of these people were begging as a job and so I've stopped. Many beggars will use money you give to buy drugs and that makes you partly responsible for it if you're funding the habit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

© 2007-2011 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib