ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Jewelry in Sikhism
Posted by: S1NGH (IP Logged)
Date: December 04, 2007 11:21AM

I was wondering, is jewelry of any sort totally forbidden in sikhi?

i know that piercing the body is wrong, but what about wearing bracelets, chains or rings? What about a simple necklace?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 01:37PM by admin.

Re: Jewelry in Sikhism
Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: December 04, 2007 01:47PM

Jewellery, no matter what kind, is completely forbidden to be worn in Sikhi. Everything you see with your eyes is an illusion; this world is just our dream, nothing is real. Therefore, nothing is of any use. This Sikhi teaches. Only God's name is real, it will be with us when we most need it, but only if we accept it now.

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: December 04, 2007 02:16PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh,

SINGH JIO,

Jewelry is allowed but mandated to following metal and shapes. All jewelry should of Sarabloh (cast iron) and the shapes are Kara (bracelets), Kirpan (Necklace) although extended up to waist, Chakkar (Ring but wear in dastaar or dumalla i/o finger) , mala (chain), simrana (chain) etc. Since last 300 years Sikhs has extreme love for this kind of Jewelry. Some Sikhs if they do not wear all e.g chakkar, mala, simarna but they keep at home with love and respect. Two of them (karra, kirpan) are part of five Kakkars as same as KESKI, KANGA and KASHEHRA.

Guru Mahar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki afteh

Posted by: Koi (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:29AM

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Je Ki Fateh

Its not so much the Jewelry that is wrong, as is the attatchment to the jewelry. Wearing it should make no difference, as jewelry is not needed. However, Sri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan Khalsa Ji was once asked why he wore rings on his fingers. To which he replied, "My father, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji is the Lord and Master of the whole universe. He is the true king. He is not a begger, so why can I not wear these rings?" The point he was trying to make was that Guru Sahib Ji is the King of the whole Cosmos. He is not begger. He is our father, making us princes or princesses. He owns all wealth, so why can we not wear jewelry. It is the attatchment to the Jewelry that is wrong. It should not make a difference to your Sikhi whether you were it or not. For example, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was always adorned in beautiful clothes, shoes and jewelry. Some of his shastar were decorated with gold, jade etc. It is the attatchment to the jewelry that is wrong.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Je Ki Fateh

Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2007 06:48AM

Yogi Bhajan, was wrong to wear jewellery. You can't start calling anyone a saint. The 3HO white sikhs wear jewellery, dance and some wear make up, and learnt Sikhi from this guy, yogi bhajan.

GURU GOBIND SINGH JI'S CHOICE OF JEWELLERY FOR HIS SIKH ARE SHASTERS. Why don't we instead try and make our soul beautiful, instead of our body, by Japing Naam.

nice one, khalsaspirit.

Date: December 06, 2007 05:57AM

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

All valid points. However, I believe "Death" is mistaken. I have not referred to Yogi Bhajan as a Sant. Sri Singh Sahib was what he was known as. And as for your comment referring to 3HO Sikhs as "white Sikhs", what are you trying to imply? That they are second class Sikhs. Please forgive me if I have misinterpreted this.
The difference between them and others who are born into a Sikh family is that they CHOSE Sikhi after living according to a different religion. Yogi Bhajan Himself never danced about and wore make-up. If you say he did, prove it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Posted by: harveen_singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2007 07:41AM

koorh soena, koorh rupa korrh painanhaar.

False is gold, and false is silver; false are those who wear them

"My father, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji is the Lord and Master of the whole universe. He is the true king. He is not a begger, so why can I not wear these rings?"
this is what yogi bhajan said.
guru sahib is not a beggar he is the king and he is the lord and master, but not through wealth and jewellery, he was the king because of beeing the true guru who spread naam and made khalsa panth, gave amrit to the panj then took it himself. that humbleness makes him the king, sacrificing the whole sarbans makes him the true king, then giving the khalsa panth an eternal guru makes him the true king.
and not jewellery.

Date: December 06, 2007 09:27AM

wow, thanks for the good replys to this question. I am so thankful for the answers.

I have come up with this as a conclusion: Wearing jewelry is up to ones self, its a personal choice, but it depends for what reason you wear it. if its to look good and show off then i think its so bad cos it brings ego and is forbidden. But jus to wear it cos it was a presents or sommat, i think its okay, to keep others happy.
But, me myself, has never worn jewelry, the reason i wondered about this question was because i have seen other people wearing chains and i was thinking if its okay...

But sikhi is nto about the outside but about the JEWEL ont he inside, the soul should be nurtured with Naam. Naam is the true jewel, life and teh world revovles around it, there is nothing but Waheguru.

Well, thats my own sort of summary, but was i correct about it? or is there other views to my answer?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Date: December 06, 2007 10:04AM

harveen_singh Ji has made a valid point. It is not the jewelry that makes Guru Sahib a true king, it is because he created the panth, spread naam, gave amrit and made countless sacrifices.
In the strictest sense, there is no need to wear jewelry, but again, it is not the jewelry that makes a person good or bad, it is their deeds and the attatchement to the jewelry.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 07, 2007 01:02AM

For an amritdhari, claiming to be a sikh of Satguru Sri Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj Jee, to wear jewellery is a shameful act. There is no point wearing jewelerry for this temporary, selfish world, a sikh shud wear jewelerry only for Waheguru Jee and that jewelerry is Naam, sarbloh shastars.

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 07, 2007 03:47AM

vaheguroojeekakhalsavaheguroojeekeefateh!

veer 'S1INGH' jee,

"But jus to wear it cos it was a presents or sommat, i think its okay, to keep others happy".

either you can keep the world (relatives, friends etc.) happy or try to keep siree guroo sahib jee happy. you'll find that when one has been appeased, the other has been ignored.

always ask yourself: is what i'm doing getting me closer to maharaaj jee, is it improving my sikhee.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Date: December 07, 2007 09:28AM

safe, thanks for the answers everyone.....

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Posted by: Pakhand (IP Logged)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:00PM

Guru Ji says in Wadahans, First Mehl, Second House:

The peacocks are singing so sweetly, O sister; the rainy season of Saawan has come.
Your beauteous eyes are like a string of charms, fascinating and enticing the soul-bride.
I would cut myself into pieces for the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan; I am a sacrifice to Your Name.
I take pride in You; without You, what could I be proud of?
So smash your bracelets along with your bed, O soul-bride, and break your arms, along with the arms of your couch.
In spite of all the decorations which you have made, O soul-bride, your Husband Lord is enjoying someone else.
You don't have the bracelets of gold, nor the good crystal jewelry; you haven't dealt with the true jeweller.
Those arms, which do not embrace the neck of the Husband Lord, burn in anguish.
All my companions have gone to enjoy their Husband Lord; which door should I, the wretched one, go to?
O friend, I may look very attractive, but I am not pleasing to my Husband Lord at all.
I have woven my hair into lovely braids, and saturated their partings with vermillion;
but when I go before Him, I am not accepted, and I die, suffering in anguish.
I weep; the whole world weeps; even the birds of the forest weep with me.
The only thing which doesn't weep is my body's sense of separateness, which has separated me from my Lord.
In a dream, He came, and went away again; I cried so many tears.
I can't come to You, O my Beloved, and I can't send anyone to You.
Come to me, O blessed sleep - perhaps I will see my Husband Lord again.
One who brings me a message from my Lord and Master - says Nanak, what shall I give to Him?
Cutting off my head, I give it to Him to sit upon; without my head, I shall still serve Him.
Why haven't I died? Why hasn't my life just ended? My Husband Lord has become a stranger to me. ||1||3||

To my understanding Guru Ji is saying that the true jewellery is the naam

But im probably wrong! sorry for any mistakes

Humreh avgun bohut bohut heh buhu bar bar har gant nah aveh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib