ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

too much paath?
Posted by: khalsawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: December 12, 2007 12:54PM

ive noticed on this forum that reading mass amount of gurbani is encouraged such as doing 25japji sahibs or 5 sukhmani sahibs. of course doing this is superb! one has such great karma just to recite this much bani. however isnt there a better option then this? nothing wrong with doing the above but can we not do better? this is my personal opinion and also a question for all to give their input. for e.g. instead of doing 5 sukhmani sahib paath, y not do 1 sukhmani sahib and 4hours simran instead? isnt the main point of bani to naam jap!?
pls remember im not against reading loads of bani, but am suggesting, in my humble opinion, is there a better option... such as more naam simran instead, because reading so much bani there is little time left for a good amount of simran.

Re: too much paath?
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 03:33AM

The tatt hukam of Gurbani is Naam only but one cannot japp Naam without the aid of Gurbani.Without Gurbani, the kalla of Naam will stop after some time. Ideally a person shud be a solid abhiyaasi of both Naam and Gurbani. Plus Gurbani has Naam in it as well so japping Gurbani is also like japping Naam. Plus lots of things depend on persons mood. Personally some day i japp more naam and less gurbani and other day i just keep on doing gurbani.
Yes, doing just gurbani and not Naam is a mistake. Infact japping Naam helps in diving into Gurbani and understanding it better. Also, reading Gurbani makes one aware of spiritual states, games of Maya and one doesnt fall into the trap of ridhiyaan sidhiyaan which are just a form of Maya and are servants of gursikhs.
IN short, I agree one shud be giving more emphasis on Naam but one shud also become a solid abhiyaasi of Gurbani.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 09:33AM

A very good point 'Khalsawannabe'.

Your suggestion that instead of doing more paaths, why not do 1 Siri Sukhmani Sahib and 4 hours of simran is a good idea but the only problem is the practicality of doing so. If one can do simran as you suggested then surely one should go ahead and do so. The reason why Singhs from past have been advising to do a lot of Gurbani paath is that due to the Paaras-Kala of Gurbani, one's Naam abhyaas goes in full force. More paath one does, more simran one would do. This is a golden rule that is sanctioned by many Gurbani Pankitis:

gurbwxI vrqI jg AMqir iesu bwxI qy hir nwmu pwiedw ]3]

gurabaanee varathee jag a(n)thar eis baanee thae har naam paaeidhaa ||3||

The meanings are clear that by doing paath of Gurbani, ones gets to do more paath.

siqgur kI ijs no miq AwvY so siqgur mwih smwnw ]

sathigur kee jis no math aavai so sathigur maahi samaanaa ||

ieh bwxI jo jIAhu jwxY iqsu AMqir rvY hir nwmw ]1] rhwau ]

eih baanee jo jeeahu jaanai this a(n)thar ravai har naamaa ||1|| rehaao ||

Whoever knows this baani by heart, in his heart resides Naam.

It would be wrong to not do Naam Abhyaas and only do Gurbani paath but if one does one's regular Naam Abhyaas at Amrit Vela and then does a lot of paath, then Gurmantr goes on automatically in one's heart.

As Veer Harinder Singh stated above, the main thing to do is Naam and Gurbani paath is the greatest aiding Karma for doing Naam Abhyaas. Rehit is the next important aiding Karma.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 11:34AM

Everything has been said, but I'll just like to add to that. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that reading paath and by becoming ATTACHED to it, we attach ourselves to where the Gurbani originated from, ie saachkhand. Therefore, going there after death. Jap ji sahib paath is a good one, as sant narijan singh ji said, it gives single-minded concentration when japping Naam.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 14, 2007 04:04AM

Even if someone is able to have Naam going 24 hours without gurbani, even then one shud be reading Gurbani. By doing solid Naam abhiyaas, ridhiyaan sidhiyaan come, one experiences amazing spiritual things, a person who has no knowledge of gurbani will most probably be unable to handle these experiences or handle these powers and can very easily fall down and thats a terrible thing.
Gurbani is Nirankaar, its a maha maha paap to ignore gurbani

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib