ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

removing kakkaar for genuine professional work.
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 03:57AM

Is removing kakkaar while travelling to complete some genuine professional exercise correct ???
Would appreciate some intelligent answers from pyari Guroo roop sadh sangat.

Re: removing kakkaar for genuine professional work.
Posted by: 00Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 07:18AM

Don't you have to remove your kirpan when you fly regardless of the purpose of visit??

Date: December 13, 2007 08:23AM

I was told that sri shud not be removed for Maya but for attending some gurmat smagam or doing darshan of some itihaasak place, removing Sri Sahib is fine.
So will this genuine professional work come in the category of Maya?
In reality everything other than Naam in Maya only so i am kind of confused as what to do.
I just cant imagine Baba Deep Singh Jee or Bhai Mani Singh Jee sitting in an aeroplane without their kakkaar.

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: December 13, 2007 09:06AM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

Besides Air Travel abroad, No kakkar should be removed for any work reason. Does not matter if it is a professional or volunteer work. As we heard and read that Indian Airlines still allows only Sikhs to carry on small kirpans. We do not know how effectively this is implemented. We do not think there is any kind of work in which Kakkar becomes hurdle. From military to doctors, from Shipman to Cab privers no problems experienced except not experimented during NASA flights to space and there should also be no problem.

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Date: December 14, 2007 03:15AM

I remove my kirpan when I go swimming. Is this wrong?

Posted by: hardeep sengh (IP Logged)
Date: December 23, 2007 06:38AM

what if a shark attacks u and u hav no kirpan to defend yourself wid

Date: December 24, 2007 01:20AM

I feel souls like Bhai Mani Singh Jee, Baba Deep Singh Jee, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee will prefer death to removing their sri sahib for maya and everything other than Naam in Maya. So u shud not removing ur Sri Sahib while swimming.
If u are that much interested in learning swimming, come to punjab, stay in some pind and do swimming in some tobbaaaa(small pond), u will have some cows(majhaan) give u company.

Date: December 25, 2007 04:21AM

not cows, but buffaloes

Posted by: Manjot Singh Khalsa (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 08:24AM

This removing kirpan for travel thing is the slow guilt of the panth and will soon eat at us all. I know that the more travel I do, the more this is on my mind.

This is a dhill we are introducing, and as all dhills, it will only get worse.

(Think back to when the first exceptions were probably made for bibia to not wear dastar)

Date: January 05, 2008 02:02AM

yes its a dhill, and ideally kirpan shud not get removed. However there are some really nice naam jappan vale singhs doing frequent travelling.

Posted by: malton (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2008 03:26PM

is it true that guru gobind singh ji gave a certain group of singhs a pardon not to wear their kirpana, as the area they were in did not permit. from what someone told me, this group still carries this tradition today of not wearing it.

if i am totally wrong, please excuse, i am going on heresay.

Date: January 07, 2008 01:43AM

Malton, That is correct, they are the Nirmala Singhs.

Date: January 07, 2008 01:44AM

I disagree. I feel too much importance is placed on the ritual aspects of wearing kakaar. Where it can be avoided you shouldn't remove kakaar as they are sacred gifts to be treated like angs but if you're going swimming etc then I see nothing wrong with it - I'd rather not have the chlorine water reduce my kirpan to rust. For me personally, I follow Guru Nanak Dev Ji lead whereby the refused to wear the sacred thread and they spoke about not becoming consumed in rituals.

To the Bhai Sahibs who are talking about Bhai Mani Singh Ji and Baba Deep Singh Ji, with all due respect I can't imagine them in an aircraft without their kirpan as planes didn't exist then - in fact Sept 11th 2001 hadn't happened either - are you saying you won't travel abroad then for the sake of your kirpan?! What if it were to travel to an international smaagum held in a country other than your own - you would have missed out on the opportunity to do seva, simran and sangat!!

Don't reduce Sikhi to a rigourous set of rules with Do's and Do not's. Sikhi is a way of life teaching compassion - not about the technicalities of kakaar wearing or bana (both of which are still very important).

Fateh!

Date: January 07, 2008 07:01AM

pyare veer
i see ur point. But i still believe that ideally kirpan shud not get removed. In india, i have observed 2 types of people who are against removal of kakkaar while traveling. One who have great jeevan and genuinely feel kirpan shud not get removed.I do respect the views of such people. Others who themselves could not make it to west or deep down feel a bit envious of singhs in the west, thats a pretty natural thing to happen to be honest.
And I do agree that there are some really nice honest naam jappan vale singhs in the west who do travelling and I respect such people a lot.
But I also feel that a brahamgyani sikh would not remove his kakkaar. Like he will remove kakkaar and travel only if he is told to do so by Satguru Jee but brahamgyanis are a extremely rare commodity.

Posted by: csingh (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2008 12:03PM

Guru ji did not have any separate rules for nirmallas. This is rubbish. They made up there own rules and just use Guru jis name.

The Roop of the Guru Gobind singh is only the Khalsa

Posted by: gurmantar (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2008 08:01AM

kirpan, Keski, kangha, karra, and kachera are our ang's, none of them should be removed at any point at any time. In the situation of flying Guroo sahib knows that we do not want to remove it, and we have no choice, while it is off i was told by a singh that does 5 pyaareah di seva that you keep doing naam abiyaas or paath on the plane, and do ardass b4 and after taking it off, also do not eat/drink or talk much. the reason for this is that if any other ang of our body was cut off, we would not want to do anything else until maharaj does kirpa to give it back to us, everything is in maharaj's hands.
VAHEGUROO JI KA KHALSA VAHEGUROO JI KI FATEH!!

Posted by: Xylitol (IP Logged)
Date: January 09, 2008 01:23PM

on a plane wear a small necklace kirpan. although it's nto the same as wearing a reasonable size kirpan, the aim is to remain as close as possible to maharaj.

Date: January 10, 2008 02:49AM

With all due respect gurmantar sahib. The actions you mentioned are what we should do regardless of having 5 kakaars on or not.

Therefore it comes back to your own personal relationship with Guru Sahib and Akaal Purakh. If one feels uncomfortable removing kakaar then that's their prerogative, if they are comfortable, again that is their choice. The idea of this sansaar, is to lose sense of duality, therefore one cannot say whether removing kakaar is right or wrong.

Again, I stress, Sikhi is not about rituals, rites, do's and do nots. Its about Compassionate living.

Items such as eating meat (yes I will say this as I strongly believe meat is against Sikhi maryada), Adultary, Intoxicants etc etc are things that one should avoid naturally regardless of whether you are Amritdhari or not, or another faith.

WJKK WJKF!

Date: January 11, 2008 02:28AM

<< Sikhi is not about rituals, rites, do's and do nots. Its about Compassionate living>>

Dear Veer,
Do u mean that people who dont do traveling as they dont want to get separated from their kirpan are ritualist ? Ritual is an action thats done just for the sake of doing it, whereas wearing kakkaars, loving kakkaars and not removing kakkaars are the orders of Satguru Jee and are not rituals. Regarding do's and dont's, sikhi is all about do's and dont's. Its all about obeying Satguru jee's hukams. These hukams either allow doing some things or prohibit doing certain things. Regarding compassionate living, it might sound nice talking about compassionate living but how can one get this compassionate living? This can only be achieved by obeying the sets of hukams, or the set of do's and dont's prescribled by Satguru Jee.
Ideally kirpan shud not get removed, no doubt about it. But Satguru is all dyal and all knowing and thats why if a good rehitvaan sikh removes his kirpan during air travel, Satguru jee might easily forgive that sikh. And people who dont japp much naam and just want to put gursikhs down using kirpan removal issue wont get much love of Satguru jee either.
In short, its a dhill but Satguru is all knowing and there is no end of HIs dyallness.

Date: January 11, 2008 09:50AM

Exactly Harinder Singh Ji, My issue is trying to counter statements such as "Kakaar should not be removed at all" or "Brahm Gianis would never remove their kirpan" - They're very bold statements, my intention is solely to attempt introduce facts such as Guru Sahib and Above All Akaal Purakh are Antarjami and so know reasons such as Air Travel are necessities due to our Gristi (i.e. worldy) Jeevan.

If one were to say, go to a theatre or a nightclub (lets just say for examples sake) and were to remove their kirpan for that - that would be unacceptable! It is Guru Sahib's ingenious plan to provide us with a kirpan sahib so that Amritdhari's who may get tempted to enter an establishment such as a nightclub will be barred entry by the security! Hence the Sikh is saved. If the kakaar has been removed for the purpose of entry then it is my personal belief that the Amrit has been compromised!

WJKK WJKF!

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib