ਨਸਾਜ਼ੋਨਬਾਜ਼ੋਨਫ਼ੌਜੋਨਫ਼ਰਸ਼॥ਖ਼ੁਦਾਵੰਦਬਖ਼ਸ਼ਿੰਦਹਿਐਸ਼ਿਅਰਸ਼॥੪॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Q's re: Today's Hukamnama
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 24, 2007 03:31AM

Vaheguroojeekakhalsa,Vaheguroojeekeefateh!

Khalsa Jeeo,

A few questions re: today’s Hukamnama above (please give reasons if possible):

- Re: the 3rd panktee: does

Dwir

mean destroy and what other meanings does it have?

- How have they arrived at the following meaning: ‘O Lord Har Har Destroyer of demons have mercy upon me…’? The order of the words within the panktee has confused me as to what to make of it. Please provide as much detail as possible.

- Should

Eumwhw

be pronounced with a bindee on both or the last kanna?

- What is the exact meaning of

rwm

in this panktee?

- Re: the 6th panktee:

guxgwvhguxbolhbwxIhirguxjipEumwhwrwm]2]

, should the

h

at the end of the first 2 words be pronounced as ‘gaav-ha’ (as in ‘ha-ha’) or ‘gaav-hair’ (as in ‘hair’) and should bindees be pronounced at the end of these words?

- Re: the 7th panktee: what is the significance of

quolwhw

having an aunkaR and a hora under the first letter? My limited understanding is that both would need to be pronounced but how would you do so? I think this because as it is the first letter of the word the aunkaR can’t be there for viyakaran purposes…or am I wrong?

- Re: the last panktee:

dIndieAwlhohujnaUpirdyhunwnknwmuEmwhwrwm]4]5]11]

– does the bishraam go after

aUpir

?

Dhanvaad.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: Q's re: Today's Hukamnama
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2007 12:16AM

vaheguroojeekakhalsa,vaheguroojeekeefateh!

veer kulbir singh jeeo,

you've given others ample opportunity to have a go first but no-one has so it's time for you to have a go. lol.

kirpa karo.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: Q's re: Today's Hukamnama
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 27, 2007 12:16PM

--------
Dwir

mean destroy and what other meanings does it have?
---------

The word dhaar above does not means destroy. Dhaar here means 'do'. Kirpa dhaar means kirpa karr. Other meaning of the word dhaar is flow or current of water. Dhaar also means to adopt i.e. dhaaran karna.

---------
How have they arrived at the following meaning: ‘O Lord Har Har Destroyer of demons have mercy upon me…’? The order of the words within the panktee has confused me as to what to make of it. Please provide as much detail as possible
-------

The pankiti is as follows:

har har kirapaa dhhaar madhhusoodhan mil sathasa(n)g oumaahaa raam ||1||

Har Har here has been written two times and it shows the urgency in which this imploring has been done - O Hari, O Hari.

The word Madhusoodhan is a very beautiful word that is often used for Vishnu jee or Siri Krishna and it means the killer of demon called Madhu. Another meaning of Madhusoodhan is the destroyer of the illusion of madhu (honey) roopi Maaya. Whatever the meaning, I find this word extremely sweet for Vaheguru and Siri Guru Raam Dass jee Maharaaj has in particular used this word quite often in reference to Vaheguru jee.

The whole pankiti can be transferred as follows:

O Hari, O Hari, O Madhsoodhan, do kirpa on me (dhaar kirpa) so that I may meet Sat-sangat and develop Umaaha i.e. chaayo, shauq, love for you.

---------
- Should
Eumwhw

be pronounced with a bindee on both or the last kanna?
-------

No bindi in the end of Omaaha.

---------
What is the exact meaning of
rwm

in this panktee?
---------

The word "Raam" in this pankiti is not related to the meanings of this pankiti but is there, as is in case of most chhants, for alankaarak (poetic decoration) purposes. The words "Raam Raajay" in the chhants of Siri Asa kee Vaar are not related to the meanings of the pankitis they appear in but are there for sundarta (beauty) of the kaav (poetry). This is what my understanding is and many scholars have stated this. Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh and I could be wrong in what I have written.

-------
at the end of the first 2 words be pronounced as ‘gaav-ha’ (as in ‘ha-ha’) or ‘gaav-hair’ (as in ‘hair’) and should bindees be pronounced at the end of these words?
--------

as in ‘gaav-hair’ (as in ‘hair’

And the sound is nasal in the end.

---------
having an aunkaR and a hora under the first letter? My limited understanding is that both would need to be pronounced but how would you do so? I think this because as it is the first letter of the word the aunkaR can’t be there for viyakaran purposes…or am I wrong?
--------

In case of "tolaaha" the correct spelling is "Tolaaha" i.e. with a hora. Since, the aunkad is also given, so the non-normal lag should be pronounced and in this case the pronunciation should be done with the aunkad. This is the view of most scholars including Professor Sahib Singh. This is to do with the poetic meter. Hora is full maatra while aunkad is half maatra. Over here, due to poetic meter consideration, half a maatra was required and Guru Sahib used aunkad instead of hora to fit the word in the pankiti. In doing so, Satguru jee also retained the original lag i.e. hora with it. But the one to be pronounced should be the opposite one i.e. non-normal lag which is aunkad in this case.

For the last question, yes the bishraam should be after "Oopar".

Bhul chuk maaf jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib