ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Interesting: Shahmukhee & Gurmukhee
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 24, 2007 03:33AM

"...Shahmukhi (شاہ مکھی, literally "from the King's mouth") is a local variant of the Arabic script used to record the Punjabi language. It is based on the Nasta'liq style of the Persian script and has traditionally been used by the Punjabi Muslims of India and Pakistan. However, since the middle of the 20th century it has mainly been used by those in the Punjab province of Pakistan. The Gurmukhi script is used to write Punjabi in India. The text is written in the right to left direction and from right page to left page..."

[en.wikipedia.org]

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: Interesting: Shahmukhee & Gurmukhee
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 25, 2007 03:03AM

I met a pakistan punjabi in europe(their punjabi is so sweet and pure) and he wrote my name in shahmukhee.
But Gurmukhee is Gurmukhee. Gurmukhee has been created by Waheguru Himself.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2008 09:08AM

Shahmukhi script is inadequate to write Punjabi language and Gurmukhi is specially designed for Punjabi. Therefore, it is the correct script to write Punjabi. I was reading the an article by Sardar Bhagat Singh on this subject and was surprised to see that he was suggesting the Devnagri script for writing Punjabi. While Devnagri script may be better than the Shahmukhi script, it too lacks the strength to record Punjabi.

As for Punjabi spoken in Pakistan, I feel that the Punjabi has been totally burdened by Farsi words. Perhaps the Punjabi spoken in rural areas of Pakistani Punjab is good but the one spoken in Lahore, Sialkot or other cities is no good and has too much influence of Urdu and Farsi.

The Pakistani Punjabis are suffering from the worse kind of inferiority complex because they have given up their mother tongue to adopt Urdu. The Bangladeshi Muslims refused to give up Bangla as they were proud of their language and did not adopt the Shahmukhi script or the Urdu language but our Pakistani brothers in Pakistan are extremely shameless as they have already given up Punjabi. Why should Urdu be the national language of Pakistan and not Punjabi?

Kulbir Singh

Date: January 02, 2008 06:15AM

<<Gurmukhi is specially designed for Punjabi>>

Pyare Kulbir Singh veerji,

Can u explain this a bit more. I had the impression that Gurmukhi Was designed to write gurbani and gurbani has lots of sanskrit, hindi,brij bhasha etc words.

Date: January 03, 2008 07:02AM

-----
Can u explain this a bit more. I had the impression that Gurmukhi Was designed to write gurbani and gurbani has lots of sanskrit, hindi,brij bhasha etc words.
-------

What I meant was that Gurmukhi is the best script to write Punjabi. I take back my original statement that Gurmukhi is specially designed for Punjabi.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Date: January 05, 2008 01:49AM

Veerji,
I have one more similar question. THere are many many sikhs who are very passionate about being punjabi, about punjabi language. Though punjabi is my mother tongue too and i do like punjabi but whts the relationship between punjabi culture/ language and sikhi way of life/ Gurbani. Is it easier for a punjabi person to understand or practice sikhi than say a sikh born in karnataka or maharashtra knowing gurmukhi but not knowing punjabi language ??? I hope my question is making some sense.

Posted by: gurmantar (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2008 03:55AM

In my humble oppinion i beleive that todays punjabi culture and Guru Nanak Dev ji's sikhi marag are 2 worlds apart. Todays Punjabi culture has become about having massive wedding reception parties & weddings on the whole, drinking etc. Whereas Satguroo's Gursikh way of life is very different, in fact it is the opposite, it is about being simple, loving one another for who they are, and being respectful.
3 main principles not adopted by the majority of TODAYS punjabi culture:
1.vand ke shakna
2. kirat kamai
3. naam japna
Dont get me wrong i think we do need to be prowed of who we are.. but as Gursikhs not Punjabi's.
Think about our history and attain our identity through that.
If you are brought up in a punjabi house hold it is easier for you to grasp sikhi and its ideals as it is usually in the background of every house hold, and most kids do go to the Gurdwara even its rarely, knowing the punjabi language also helps you understnad gurbani easier i think.
vaheguru mehr kareah
bhul chuk maf karni
VAHEGUROO JI KA KHALSA VAHEGUROO JI KI FATEH!!

Date: January 11, 2008 07:39AM

-------
I have one more similar question. THere are many many sikhs who are very passionate about being punjabi, about punjabi language. Though punjabi is my mother tongue too and i do like punjabi but whts the relationship between punjabi culture/ language and sikhi way of life/ Gurbani. Is it easier for a punjabi person to understand or practice sikhi than say a sikh born in karnataka or maharashtra knowing gurmukhi but not knowing punjabi language ???
----------

There is no doubt that though the language of Gurbani is Sant-bhaasha but there are a lot of pure Punjabi shabads and North-Indian language shabads in it. A person from Haryana, Punjab, UP or other North-Indian states would have a bit advantage for the ease of understanding Gurbani but this does not mean that a person from South India as you mentioned, can't be a good Gursikh. I believe that once you start reading Gurbani, you start to understand it, irrespective of your background.

To be a good Gursikh, one has to keep rehit, japp Naam and do Nitnem. Anyone who does this can be a good Gursikh irrespective of their background. And yes, I agree that Punjabi culture is not equal to Sikh culture and as the Sikh religion will spread throughout the world, the relevance of Punjabi culture will decrease with that proportion. Now since the majority of followers of Sikh faith are from Punjab, they sometimes mix Punjabi culture and values with Sikhi but this will change in the future.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: gurmantar (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2008 09:56AM

wow-why do you think it will change in the future Bhai kulbir singh jee?
--VAHEGUROO--

Posted by: Ghareeb (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2008 03:54AM

<<<Gurmukhee has been created by Waheguru Himself>>

Is there anything, any language, any script, or any being that is not created by Waheguru Himself?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Ghareeb

Posted by: Menu Ke Patha (IP Logged)
Date: January 14, 2008 11:36AM

Ghareeb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <<>
>
>
> Is there anything, any language, any script, or
> any being that is not created by Waheguru
> Himself?
>
> Bhul Chuk Maaf
>
> Ghareeb

AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALUHHH
wel said jio!!!
everyfink is created by sree akaal purakh vahegurooooooooooooooo!!

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa
vaheguroo jee kee fatehh

Date: January 15, 2008 01:05AM

<<Is there anything, any language, any script, or any being that is not created by Waheguru Himself? >>

designing a script is a science. Gurmukhi script has been made by Satguru jee/Waheguru jee who is the souce of all science/knowledge.
Same with grammar. Grammar is also a science, but the grammar of gurbani is perfect. At present we use the help of dunaivi grammar life nouns, adjectives, prepositions, etc to understand Gurbani Grammar but I feel a person who has become one with Waheguru jee wikll get to know the TATT grammar science.
what a play!

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib