ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

woman of honour - bibi surinder kaur
Posted by: malton (IP Logged)
Date: January 01, 2008 11:00PM

our panth has had many great women. the story below is of shaheed bhai satwants singhs wife. an unbelievable woman of character and respect. such loyalty, such honour, such dedication and committment - she is simply an inspiration to us all.

THE DEDICATION OF BIBI SURINDER KAUR

Bhai Satwant Singh was kept in Tihar jail in Delhi. His family and his fiancée, Bibi Surinder kaur were only allowed to meet him 3 times. The bullet near his spine was still causing him great pain. The authorities would not allow doctors to see him. So one day he used his own finger nail to cut his skin and remove the bullet. After the bullet was removed, he regained his health and was in a state of Chardi Kala!

The authorities witnessing his better health and shining face, thought of new methods to affect him and his family. They stopped his fiancée from visiting him, stating that she can only visit once they have married. Bibi Surinder Kaur decided she would marry a photo of Satwant Singh, so that they could not use this excuse. Their relatives were unhappy with this decision. Bhai Satwant Singh`s father, Sardar Tarlok Singh stated, “Dear daughter, we will marry you to our youngest son Swaran Singh. The Khalsa Panth has had to deal with this brutal Indian Government. How can you ever expect any justice from such a brutal regime? Even courts are just pawns in the hands of Rajiv Gandhi. There is no hope that Satwant Singh will ever be free!”

Bibi Surinder kaur replied, “Bapu ji, a woman only ever loves one man. I have already accepted Satwant Singh as my beloved husband. He is my husband, and I am his wife. That is how it shall remain. The brother of Satwant Singh, will be my brother.”

Bibi Surinder kaur`s father, Sardar Virsa Singh said, “Daughter, if you do not change your decision to marry the photo of Satwant Singh, then I will commit suicide by taking poison!”

Bibi Surinder Kaur replied, “Dear Father ji, Gurbani states, Marran Lekiaee Mandal Mae Ayee, every person has their death written by Akaal Purkh Waheguru before they are born on this earth. Waheguru has already written your last breath, and in the same way the decision on my marriage to Satwant Singh cannot change either. If it is written that he is going to die by hanging, then that will happen also. I am ready to face whatever comes my way in the future. Until my last breath, I will never let any stain come on respect due to the dastaar of Satwant Singh, your dastaar father, and the dastaar of my father-in-law.”

It was now the year 1988, the role of Sri Akal Thakht Jathedar was held by Jasvir Singh Rode. Due to the fact that Bibi Surinder Kaur would not change her mind to marry the photo of Satwant Singh, both families decided to take her to the Jathedar so he could convince her. Jasvir Singh said to her, “Bibi, do not rush to make such a big decision. There is no hope that the authorities will not give Satwant Singh a sentence of hanging. So do not make such a big life decision, without thinking it through…”

Bibi Surinder kaur replied, “Singh Sahib ji, you are right. The authorities will give Satwant Singh the hangmans noose. Both our families had decided to marry me and Satwant Singh. Due to Satwant Singh not getting holidays, the wedding was delayed at the last moment. However if Satwant Singh killed Indira Gandhi after our marriage, then he would have been sentenced to hanging aswell. I, as Satwant Singhs wife would have had to see every hard time in the future. My husband, Satwant Singh did a Great and brave task! The integrity of the Sikh Nation, its dastaar, was ripped off by Indira Gandhi and she stamped on it with her feet in June 1984. My husband took the dastaar of the Sikh Nation and replaced it on its head. Even in my worst dreams, I could never turn my back on such a Great man. It can never happen! I have accepted Satwant Singh as my husband. I will never let a stain come on his Dastaar. I will spend my whole life as the widow of Satwant Singh!”

Akal Takht Jathedar Jasvir Singh Rode said to both fathers of Satwant Singh and Bibi Surinder Kaur, that due to the strength of will of Bibi Surinder kaur, we should allow her to marry the photo of Satwant Singh, in the presence of Siri Guru Granth sahib ji. According to the hukam of Singh Sahib, on 2nd May 1988, Satwant Singhs father, Bapu Tarlok Singh, his mother, elder brother and wife, left their house with a picture of Satwant Singh for the house of Sardar Virsa Singh. In the presence of Sahib Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji, Bibi Surinder kaur married the photo of Satwant Singh. In the afternoon, the Doli of Bibi Surinder kaur left the residence of Sardar Virsa Singh for the house of Bhai Satwant Singh.

Re: woman of honour - bibi surinder kaur
Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 03:33PM

Bibi Ji decided to marry the picture, but how was the ceremony actually carried out? Did someone carry the picture around whilst doing the 4 Pheray?

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib