ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

People need to know the importance of bana!
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 05:47AM

I feel very sad when I see people living on a land where once Gursahibaan walked and not knowing the importance of bana. I personally wear bana and whenever I am travelling, everybody calls me baba or babajee,lol. Some call with respect,while others try to mock a bit.(at home my family treats me like a baby and the outside world has made me a baba,hahahahaha). People feel that if a person is wearing bana, that person would either be some gurdwara da bhai or some bhangi nihung. Sometime back i was standing outside a Gurdwara sahib waiting for somebody, an old lady came and forcibly handed over 5 rupeee coin to me and told me to have tea,hahaha. If i tell somebody that I am a student, people feel that i have gone mad or maybe something terrible might have happened to me,so out of shock i am wearing bana.hahahaha
Even in the akj jatha, many people dont like bana, some who like bana feel that bana shud only be worn at smagams and that singhs shud move with time and wear pant shirt.sometime back a family was interested in me for ristha, they enquired about me from a fellow singh, they had problem with my bana and the father of the bibi said, challo koi na, once the marriage happens, bana ve uttar jayega. He meant that his bhekhi daughter would do some clever poochi poochi and I will remove my bana.(i wud remove the khoppri of such a bhekhi bibi, haha)
I really feel bad seeing all this. I feel that may be there could be a bana day where all singhs irrespective of wherether they wear bana or not, shud wear bana. Bana is an excellent way to do parchar. I fee singhs shud wear bana and let the world know who we are and to whom we belong.

Re: People need to know the importance of bana!
Posted by: staffsv (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 04:30PM

I fully agree Harinder Singh ji with you and fully respect your views.
It reminds mre one of the shabad( not syre if its from guru granth shib ji though) what my father would play each morning:
Fauj Firey AKAAL ki
Neela bana Hoyey
Neela Baana pehar kay
Awar naa deesey koyyey....
Beautiful lines were sung in a beutiful tune

We must respect and have pyaar with BAANEE and BAANAA
Bhai Amrik Singh ji (who was with Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindrawaley)studied Phd and wore BAANA every time and that also in India. And here atleast we have the freedom to wear any outfit .......Well you know what i mean.

But I think at the same time that there is no harm in pent kameej too specially one who hasn't got amrit chak yet etc. Do you agree? As there are so many examples of very uch avastha gursikhs who served Indian army and yet kept their FULL REHAT apart from Baana

Date: January 02, 2008 11:27PM

BAna is a beautiful rehit and every amritdhari shud try to keep this rehit,same as sarbloh. However, even without sarbloh and baana, a person can reach high avastha.On the other hand, u might have people with bana and sarbloh, becoming arrogant or doing ridiculous things like playing politics against fellow gursikhs, running to west via marriage,kirtan,akhand paathee, etc...

Yes, abroad u have freedom to wear anything, a man can dress like a female and still people wont mock u or laugh at u. In my college there are quite a few goraas who come for exchange and some of them really like my baana, and they always take my snaps and send it to their friends. They also admire my shastars and my gandassa,lol.goraas are nice sauuuu aatmaaas, india ch bande missnee, chalaak te cunning nee.
Regarding pant shirt, well if one wears it it shud be worn in a nice way, these days people those ridiculus shirts and pants exposing their body parts, thats a paap.

Posted by: gupt (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 11:10AM

WJKK WJKF

Heyy evrybody should wear bana singhs and singhnis

Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: January 04, 2008 04:44PM

Could we perhaps discuss the importance of the Bana, seeing as that is the name of the thread :P

Why is the Bana imortant in this day and age? I know a handful of Sikhs that wear it, but I have never really got a proper answer as to why... it was like because we are suppose to...

Date: January 05, 2008 11:04AM

Great souls like Baba Deep Singh Jee and Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee wore bana. Mata Bhag Kaur jee wore bana. There is a reference that great singhni jee of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee also wore bana. Satguru Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj used to wear bana and bana is the dress of His army, its the dress of khalsa army. Wearing bana has a tremendous assar on the life of somebody who is doing solid naam kamayee and bana is not just a male dress. If a bibi is japping loads of naam wears a surmayee bana and carries 3 foot sri sahib well she will look just like Mata Bhag Kaur jee.
Instead of asking why wear bana I feel the question shud be why not wear bana ? Its much more comfortable(pant shirt etc is just a jail), it makes one look preety in the eyes of Satguru Jee and it makes one look pretty even to this world(though that shud not be the reason to wear bana, lol), moreover wearing bana is an ailaaan that I belong to somebody, I have a Khassam, a Husband, a Father, A mother, A True Guru.
Many people dont wear bana because they are conscious of the society that people might mock or laugh. But a pakka sikh of Guru doesnt give a daam about this temporary selfish world.Why shud a pakka sikh wear dress designed by manmukhs and reject the great dress given to him by Satguru jee ?? Clothing is a way to cover this precious human body. Bana is the gurmat way of covering this body.Cloths affect ones mind and ones body too and thats why its very important that sikhs start to wear bana. We came alone, we are going to go alone, waheguru is going to give us food, then why wear clothes for this jhotti duniya ?? Why not dress up for our creator ??

Posted by: staffsv (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2008 01:48PM

Prob the first reason i can think could be worldly as we get engrossed buying outfits of various shapes colours and whats in fashion etc
All this put our mind away from guru sahib. It attaches us to wordly MAYA.Whether or not I look good enough....

Secondly it make us look all the same all the students of Dasam Pita.
Equality on the basis of AMIR GARIB

All will recognise us in the whole world who we are. Nobody then question what religion are we?
Nobody will get mixed us to be someone else as it happened after 9/11
Bana will remind us all the time of who we are as its so easy to forget ourselves in the age of KALYUG

Guru Gobind Singh Ji made us a seperate identity that comes with Rehat- Baani and Baana thats why we say in Ardaas too Baani Te Baaney Naal Pyar...

Anyone else has more solid answers, please share so that we can all educate ourselves.

Date: January 07, 2008 12:09AM

Everyday humanity burns huge chunks of money,time and enery in designing clothes, buying clothes and wahing clothes. This only brings khuaari and chintaa. Adopting bana will save people from this aggni of cloth industry. Bana is a simple,smart and humble dress and covers this precious human body in a very decent and dignified manner.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib