Current Page: 1 of 2

Degh
Posted by: Manmat (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 09:07AM

vjkk vjkf

I wanted peoples views of degh maryada

whats does tapoban sahib do?

and what kind of gursikhs should make degh

anyone share there experiences with degh lol !

Re: Degh
Posted by: Singh5 (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 09:38AM

Degh Maryada
Author: Balpreet Singh
Date: 07-05-03 11:37

Lately I've been asked about the proper maryada for degh/maha-parshaad/karah parshaad. The seva of Degh is usually given to Singhs who have a strong bibek and their prepared food is acceptable to all Singhs. In Bibeksar RaN Sabaaiees this seva is given to Malleeaa(n) valay Singhs because of their "babbar bibek" ie. hardcore bibek.

First the Singhs preparing Degh must do full ishnaan and wear fresh clothes. No pyjaamee should be worn when preparing degh. The KaRas must be scrubbed clean as well as the kirpaan. Then the area in which degh is to be prepared must be throughly cleaned. All utensils to prepare degh must be of only Sarbloh and not have any kind of rust on them. The Sarbloh utensils should "shine like silver". The area in which Degh is prepared should be aside and not open to the public eyes or traffic. Preferabbly the whole area should be open to the degh sevaadaars alone.

I won't go into the recipe for degh, but when preparing degh, the Singhs should keep their mouths and noses covered and recite either gurbaaNee or gurmantar.

When Degh is ready, if possible, it should be transferred to a sarbloh bata and then covered with a thin white cloth and taken into sangat, where a cleaned table/khaRaunchee is present. If there is too much degh for it to fit in any baTa, ie. at a big smaagam, it should be carried into sangat in the kaRaahee it was prepared in, still covered in white cloth. In some places degh is carried in buckets into the divaan which is wrong.

The Singhs who prepared the degh should themselves sit at pehraa of the degh or appoint another tyaar-bar tyaar Khalsa to do so. The degh should be cooled, if at all possible, before bringing it into sangat. It's not desirable to openly cool it in sangat.

When it is time to for ardaas and bhog, the kirpaan which has been scrubbed should again be rinsed in water and dried. Bhog can then be done after ardaas has be done for it.

When it is time to distribute the degh, these sevadaars should also be tyaar-bar tyaar khalsas with strong bibek. They too should not wear pyjamees. The first 5 servings go to the first 5 Khalsa in sangat, then a bata is set aside for the Granthi once s/he is done their duties.

All batas used for distributing should be only sarbloh and covered with white cloth. The sevadaars should also cover their nose and mouth when doing this seva. The sevaadaars should distribute all the degh and then take whatever is left over, but it should not be more than the servings given to the sangat, although in such a circumstance as a lot of sangat, it can be less.

This is the Khalsa Maryada for degh, and in the words of Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee in "Jhatkaa Maas Parthai..." "Getting it would be a good thing! What more consecrated food than mahaaparsaad then? Mahaaparsaad is the real consecrated food. Being a Sikh, what else could one consume?"

[www.tapoban.org]

Posted by: staffsv (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 11:51AM

Read Rehat Maryaada. You don;t need peoples views on it. People will come up with hundred thousand different views, whose would you follow then.
Bhul chuk maaf ji

Posted by: Manmat (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2008 01:18PM

vjkk vjkf

sorry if my post offended you staffsv

i justed wanted to know what gursikhs do whilst preparing degh

as i know it's always rehitvaan singhs who do this, just wanted to get idea of how there jeevan should be, for people who carry out this seva

singhs have also told kamarkasaa is essential, whilst giving out the degh i was told by some nihangs and singhs from taksal.
I thought i this that one should be wearing the full roop of Guru Sahib, Bana, Hazooria, Kamarkassa, whilst doing seva
Please could one of the tapoban sangat reply to this

seems like this could be a long topic since everyones got there own way. But i think Bhai Balpreet Singh post helped a lot, i will stick with that

Date: January 02, 2008 04:21PM

See chapter VIII
of the following link.
[www.sgpc.net]

Not too clear to me though and the water quantity should be approx 4 times that of atta whereas atta and sugar remains of same quantity.

In my opinion some common sense should also be used and shouldn't go into too much VEHAM etc
Degh should be prepared by amritdhari singh or singhni wherever possible
Atleast moolmantar sahib should be repeated while preparing in a well clean environment with no meat alcohal or any other similar food or alcohal or smoking etc.( Just saying as in western countries the freezers in the kitchen are full of non veg stuff and the degh gets prepared in the same kitchen.)
We need to learn to respect at each step
If somebody amritdhari is not available then the person preparing should be in clean body status, mouth wrapped, possibly new patila / pan should be used, not ordinary which one had been used to cook everyday daal subzi etc.
Clean surface to place it after its been prepared, clean dish to distribute it into with covered rumaal. Not uncovered degh should be distributed in any case.
Degh is not degh until it gets kirpan bhet. Before starting to distribute, look around for punj amritdhari persons to e served. If not enough then take 5 portons in memory of our punj piyarey and mixed back with the rest of degh. You would know the BURKUT man.Any left over degh should not be placed among other dirty dishes in the kitchen and should be placed at higher or cleaner place where no one should be able to touch it with dirty hands.

Bhul chuk maaf ji

Date: January 03, 2008 03:08AM

Sorry that you took my mail as if i was offended. just to clarify that i was not offended at alla nd agree that Bhai BAlpreet Singh Ji's reply is very much appropriate.

Thankyou Bhai Balpreet Singh Ji.
Its my ardaas tahtw e should all be able to live to that sachi such avastha of Gursikhi Jeevan.

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 03:38AM

vaheguroojeekakhalsa,vaheguroojeekeefateh!

'staffsv',

you wrote:

"Degh is not degh until it gets kirpan bhet"

yet you also wrote:

"If somebody amritdhari is not available then the person preparing should be in clean body status..."

...yet you seem to think that guroo-ka-degh can be made by people who have not been blessed with guroo-ka-amrit i.e. who are naam-heen? do you not think that this aspect is even more important and primary before we even get to the kirpan-bhet aspect?

whether you like it or not, guroo-ka-langar and guroo-ka-degh can only be called such if it is made by guroo-ke-sikh. to be guroo-ka-sikh, you must have been blessed with amrit and be trying to follow all of maharaaj jee's rehit as much as possible.

langar and degh is not just about hygeine and recipe - this only becomes important, from a bibek aspect, only once the fundamental aspect mentioned above has been aknowledged. otherwise you can use all the hygeien and recipe you wish to, but you won't be preparing guroo-ka-degh or guroo-ka-langar.

don't get me wrong if someone wants to prepare 'degh' or 'langar' in such a fashion fine, but they shouldn't claim it belongs to guroo jee. only that which attempts to meet maharaaj jee's fullest standards can be said to be 'of him' or 'belong to him'. the rest is ofcourse his kirpaa.

eh jeree cheezaa(n) hai, eh bohat, bohat keemat dee cheezaa(n) hai. sirf tyaar-bar-tyaar khalsa naal, naalaa(n) maharaaj dee beant kirpa naal, eh cheezaa(n) safal hao suckdeeaa(n). nay taa(n), sirf munmukhaa(n) dah 'degh' naalae munmukhaa(n) dah 'langar' sanoo milda hai. bhul chuk maaf karna jeeo.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2008 03:38PM

There seems to be a lot of importance over how to make Degh.. but why is this served at Gurudwaras? What is the significance of it and why do we have to accept and eat it?

Date: January 04, 2008 04:55PM

O yes Atma Singh Ji. These are priceless things. i do agree with you but are people in gurdwaras amritdhari these days who prepare degh and langar? I'll say very rarely. Then, does it mean there should be no degh and langar prepared in gudwaras?
You know we can only give rise to hundred thousands questions whereas these topics are very delicate and all we can do is- follow rehatnama of Akal Takhat Sahib.Otherwise theres what not wrong happening in todays world specially by our own preding Amritdharis(I must make sure that i only mean who are mis using Amritdhari(ness))

May Satguru ji give them and obviously us the mutt budh to follow the true path os SIKHI.

Guru GobinD Singh Ji dey AVTAAR PURAB DEE LAKH LAKH VADHAEE AAP SAB NOO JI.

Posted by: hardeep sengh (IP Logged)
Date: January 05, 2008 02:47PM

can any one post recipe for degh for about 7 people

grams and ml if u can plz

Posted by: Xylitol (IP Logged)
Date: January 06, 2008 11:50AM

accordign to giani thakur singh ji - degh has both kirpa and karma in it. but when not made with maryada, all we get is the degh maker's bad karms, and not the kirpa. it should always be made by amritdhari, and it's better to simply not accept degh made by monay imo. no disrespect, it's just that degh is especially sacrosanct, even more so than langar.

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2008 08:10AM

Waheguru ji ki khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

"accordign to giani thakur singh ji ------ and it's better to simply not accept degh made by monay imo -----."

By the way is this is same giani thankur singh ji who attended the RSS function recently knowing that Sri Akal Takhat Sahib prohibted to do so?

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2008 09:52AM

I dont think Akal Takhat prohibited because the Jathedar of Akal Takhat was there himself.. i think Giani Thakur Singh Ji that was mentioned was of Damdami Taksal and was the jathedar after Sant Bhindranwale.

Posted by: csingh (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2008 11:59AM

no proper sikh should be mixing with Guru de Nindaks like RSSS

Posted by: Xylitol (IP Logged)
Date: January 08, 2008 03:27PM

giani Thakur Singh ji is a mahan kathakar from taksal, and was very close to Sant ji. But he's not the jathedar.

Posted by: hardeep sengh (IP Logged)
Date: January 10, 2008 10:53AM

DEGH PARSHAD MUST BE COOLED BEFORE IT IS CONSECRATED

Once, on the eve of the birth of the Khalsa, at Vaisakhi celebrations,
parshad was brought into the Guru’s presence in two containers and
placed before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The hasty preparation by the
attendants meant that the parshad was still hot when placed in front of
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. At the end of the programme, Ardas was
performed and as per the tradition, parshad was offered to Guru Ji so
that it could be consecrated. The hukamnama was read, following
which, the attendants distributed the deg parshad, to the sangat. The
sangat was reciting simran of Satnam-Waheguru and Baba Ji was
standing behind Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji waving the fan (chaur Sahib).
At this time the tenth master Guru Gobind Singh Ji appeared before
Baba Ji and said, ”Bhai Harnam Singh! Today the deg was very hot.
Just look, the attendants can’t even serve it properly with their hands.
How can we have such hot parshad? So in the future, deg should be
prepared with sanctity and allowed to cool down before it is offered for
bhog (consecration or blessing of the parshad by the Guru).” After the
parshad was distributed, Baba Ji told the sangat about the order of the
great Guru. After this incident, Baba Ji would personally check the
vessel and parshad to see if it was too hot, before it was offered for
bhog. If it was too hot, then a fan would be placed over the vessel and
the parshad stirred to cool it down before being offered for consecration.
So, we should always be careful about offering hot deg parshad to Sri
Guru Granth Sahib Ji for bhog and make sure the parshad is warm or
cool before the Ardas and bhog.

Posted by: gupt (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2008 02:25PM

mmmmmmmmm degh :)

Posted by: Aadsach (IP Logged)
Date: January 12, 2008 11:33AM

gupt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mmmmmmmmm degh :)

Lol

Posted by: gupt (IP Logged)
Date: January 13, 2008 08:29AM

can any one post recipe for degh for about 7 people

any 1

Date: January 14, 2008 02:31PM

About 250 gms atta, same amount sugar and four times water to atta. EG if the 250 gms fits into one cup then water should be approx 4 cups.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib