View Post Listing    |    Search    

solutions to punjab drug problem
Posted by: mandeep (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2008 12:51AM

Tackling drug menace in the Sikh state of Punjab. Date: 11/07/2007
11 votesAdd a comment to your rating
Comments Email this Article

News Source: [www.sikhsangat.org]
Addressing a panel discussion after the screening of Reema Anand's documentary on drug addiction "Punjab: The enemy within" at the Chandigarh Press Club, Dua pleaded for saving the energetic Punjabis from decay caused by drugs.

Equating the syringes shown in the documentary to missiles that were destroying society, Dua said they were the symbols of death as over 50 per cent of the youth of Punjab had fallen prey to them.

"In fact, liquor is the first step to addiction in Punjab," Anand told mediapersons after the screening of the documentary. Drugs were the slow poison that effected the entire family and society and grandparents and parents are today fighting this enemy within in Punjab, she said.

The influx of the migratory labour had left the rural Punjabi youth with hardly any work. “With no work, they take to drugs and are ruining their lives,” she said.

Even the NRI money being pumped into Punjab was responsible for the sorry state of affairs and goes a long way in pushing the youths to drugs, she added.

Dr Jatinder Jain, DIG (Bathinda range), regretted that there was no national policy to tackle the drug menace. Criminal neglect on the part of the parents was the basic cause of the children taking to drugs, he claimed.

Sharing Dr Jain's sentiments, Dr Deepinder Singh from Ludhiana, regretted that society seemed to have accepted the use of drugs. Awareness, prevention and treatment were essential parts of the any strategy to tackle the menace, he added.

Prabhjot Singh, senior journalist, who moderated the discussion, said the connivance of the politicians and the police with the drug mafia had virtually led to the mushrooming of a parallel economy in the state and only a mass movement against drug addiction could save the present and future generations.

Meanwhile, the documentary showed heart-rending scenes of the farmers consuming poppy husk and youngsters puncturing their veins with syringes.

Premiered at Los Angeles in 2006, the documentary makes a mention of the rural population in Punjab, particularly in Malwa hooking onto "bhukki" (poppy husk) which had become the poor man's addiction and smack and heroin being used by the richer sections of society in urban areas.

“Punjabis struggled hard to fight with Central Government in the past but now they are up against a enemy within,” the narrator said in the documentary underlining the nexus between politicians-police-drug mafia.

swapping naam for nasha...amal-dhrir instead of naam-dhrir
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 18, 2008 10:03AM

BrIAYhQupYruqnudyh ]
pwxIDoqYauqrsuKyh ]
mUqplIqIkpVuhoie ]
dyswbUxuleIAYEhuDoie ]
BrIAYmiqpwpwkYsMig ]
EhuDopYnwvYkYrMig ]
puMnIpwpIAwKxunwih ]
kirkirkrxwiliKlYjwhu ]
AwpybIijAwpyhIKwhu ]
nwnkhukmIAwvhujwhu ]20]

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: swapping naam for nasha...amal-dhrir instead of naam-dhrir
Posted by: sidhu.hcl (IP Logged)
Date: March 05, 2008 10:24PM

addicting to Drugs is not a new problem, this problem is perenial problem and it exist right from the begining...

Mawla was earlier famous for Hukka and Bidi smoking people and Maajha and Doaba was safe. But now the situation has turned

u can see more no of Amritdhari Sikhs in Malwa region and people have really left Hukka and bidi .
But In majha and doaba region youth dont really want to work. thy are intrested in easy earning and living a king size life without spending even a minute in hard work or work or study.

90% youth in this perticular region wants to go and get settled abroad be it any possible way. Here thy dnt want to work anywhere coz "Bhaiyaa"z work in India not Jattz.

Re: solutions to punjab drug problem
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2008 03:09AM

a good honest government at new delhi and punjab is the solution to all problems of india and punjab.

Posted by: mandeep (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2008 04:25PM

sidhu agree with you, but parants are the once who need the slapping, cause at the pace drugs are taking over the punjab and sikh youth continue to get lazy i don't believe in caste system but before you know it the jatts will be working for the bhaiyaaz.

Posted by: Sardar (IP Logged)
Date: April 21, 2008 05:07PM

who cares? those who suffer, suffer. those who are sikh, are sikh. big deal. why do we have to care about manmukhs getting into drugs? the visits i have made to india i didnt see any "drug problem" in punjab. what "drug problem" are you talking about? i know if you drive down on the roads of Punjab, you will notice signs saying "Theka Sharab Desi" meaning bar, alcohol, traditional. that is a problem and that needs to be dealt with and all the bars in Punjab need to be shut down permanently. other than that, what other "drug problem" you talking about? Isnt there more here in Canada as people(including our own punjabis) are into weed, crack, crackcocaine, cocaine, hash, etc and the youth here deal drugs. i dont think the youth in india specifically Punjab deal drugs. Is the problem more in Canada or Punjab? I know there is a lack of Sikhi, that needs to be dealt with, but drugs? people dont even think about that! at least i dont think...depends on the "type of india" you see during the trips to india i guess. here the youth are into gangs, drugs, illegal activities, shooting, stabbing, possesionss of illegal weapons example guns and WHAT NOT??? i dont really know anything about india like i dont live there. but seriously request to all the sangat give some examples that you have seen in Punjab that are really disturbing. Thanks.

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib