ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Vedas Katebas
Posted by: Bijla Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2008 04:28PM

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥

I have read multiple meanings of this pankti.

ਬੇਦਕਤੇਬ – Vedas and Quran
ਕਹਹੁ - ਕਹਹੁਂ ਜਾਂ ਕਹਿੰਦਾ ਹਾਂ I (Kabeer) say
ਮਤ – Religions or ways
ਝੂਠੇ – false
ਝੂਠਾ - false is he
ਜੋ ਨ - who doesn't
ਬਿਚਾਰੈ - do vichaar of this fact

I (Kabeer) say that religions (ways) preached by Vedas and Katebas are false and false are those who do not do vichaar or understand this fact.

In the light of viyakaran these do not seem correct because of the word ਕਹਹੁ. It is plural and similar to ਜਪਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ etc which are basically instructions to others.
Second meanings are:

Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

This doesn’t make sense at all. Vedas and Quran are false at many places and Gurbani rejects them. Bhagat Ji himself rejects both in his Bani.

Third meanings:

It explains the event that happened in Kanshi where Kabir Ji lived. Hindus and Muslims were talking ill of each other. They were condemning the religious books of each other. They came to Kabir Ji. To calm them Kabir Ji gave this sublime counsel.

ਗੁੱਸੇ ਦੀ ਆੜ ਵਿਚ ਵੇਦਾਂ ਕਤੇਬਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਝੂਠੇ ਨਾ ਕਹੋ ਬਲਕਿ ਝੂਠੇ ਤਾਂ ਉਹ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਸੱਚੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ । ਭਾਵ ਕਿ ਗੁੱਸੇ ਵਿਚ ਕੁਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਹਿਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਾਲ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ । ਮਤਲਬ ਕਿ ਵੀਚਾਰ ਕੀਤਿਆਂ ਇਸ ਨਤੀਜੇ ਤੇ ਪਹੁੰਚਿਆ ਜਾ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਵੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਝੂਠੇ ਹਨ । ਨਹੀਂ ਤਾਂ ਸਾਰੇ ਹੀ ਸਿੱਖ ਝੂਠੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਇੰਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦੇ ।

Third meanings make more sense but still are not too clear yet. It would be great if someone could do veechar of this pankti. The entire shabad clearly questions Muslims and their practices which means it rejects Islam so meanings of validating Vedas and Katebas cannot be derived and would not be correct because Bhagat Ji says:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਇਫਤਰਾ ਭਾਈ ਦਿਲ ਕਾ ਫਿਕਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
The Vedas and the Scriptures are only make-believe, O Siblings of Destiny; they do not relieve the anxiety of the heart. (Ang 727)

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥੩॥
Whatever the Pandits and Mullahs have written, I reject; I do not accept any of it. ||3|| (Ang 1159)

Re: Vedas Katebas
Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: December 08, 2008 12:07PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਭਾਈ ਬਿਜਲਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀਉ,

ਪਹਿਲੇ ਨੰਬਰ ਵਾਲੇ ਅਰਥ ਜ਼ਿਆਦਾ ਢੁਕਵੇ ਲਗਦੇ ਹਨ। ਦਾਸਰਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਵਿਆਕਰਣਿਕ ਗਿਆਨ ਤਾਂ ਨਹੀ ਪਰ ਸਾਡਾ ਆਧਾਰ ਕਹਹੁ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੀ ਹੈ। "ਕਹਹੁ" ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿਚ ਔਕੜ ਵਾਲੇ ਹਾਹੇ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਨਾਸਕੀ ਹੈ ਜਿਸਦੇ ਉਚਾਰਣ ਕੀਤਿਆਂ ਭਾਵ ਬਣਦਾ ਹੈ "ਨੂੰ ਕਹਿ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ" (in Present Tense)। ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਹੁਣ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਤੁਕ ਵਿਚਲੇ ਅਰਥ ਸ਼ਪਸ਼ਟ ਹੋ ਗਏ ਅਤੇ ਤੀਸਰੀ ਤੁਕ

"ਮੁਲਾਂ ਕਹਹੁ ਨਿਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਈ ॥ ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ "

ਵਿਚ "ਕਹਹੁ" ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਨਾਤਮਕ ਭਾਵ ਵਿਚ ਲਗ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ। ਭਾਵ ਮੂੱਲਾਂ ਨੂ ਕਹਿ ਰਿਹਾ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਕੀ ਤੂੰ ਇਹ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰਨੇ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰਕਿਰਿਆ ਨੂੰ ਖੁਦਾ ਦਾ ਨਿੰਆਂ ਸਮਝਦਾ ਹੈ ਇਹ ਹੋਰ ਕੁਝ ਨਹੀ ਬਸ ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਦਾ ਭਰਮ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਖਤਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਰਿਹਾ। ਦੋਹਾਂ ਹੀ ਤੁਕਾ ਵਿਚ ਕਹਹੁ ਦਾ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਇਕ ਹੀ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹਏ, ਹੁਣ ਜੇਕਰ ਦੂਸਰੇ ਜਾਂ ਤਾਂ ਤੀਸਰੇ ਨੰਬਰ ਵਾਲੇ ਅਰਥ ਲਈਏ ਤਾਂ ਦੋਵੇ ਹੀ ਤੀਜੀ ਤੁਕ ਦੇ ਅਰਥਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਨਹੀ ਸ਼ਪਸ਼ਟ ਕਰਦੇ। ਦੂਸਰਾ ਇਹ ਅਰਥ ਤਾਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦੇ ਸਨ ਜੇ "ਕਹਹੁ" ਦੀ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ "ਕਹੁ" ਹੁੰਦਾ, "ਮਤ" ਦੀ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ "ਨ" ਅਤੇ "ਬਿਚਾਰੈ" ਦੀ ਥਾਂ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ਹੁੰਦਾ।
ਬਾਕੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀਆਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ ਜਾਣੇ ਅਸੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਕੀ ਲਖ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਾਂ। ਭੁਲ ਚੁੱਕ ਦੀ ਮਾਫੀ। ਹੋਰ ਵੀਰ ਭੈਣ ਜ਼ਿਆਦਾ ਜਾਣਕਾਰੀ ਦੇ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਨ।

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 08, 2008 10:51PM

Vedas and ketaas are limited to 3 gunns of Maya and maya is jhotthi, as a result bed kateb are jhoothe as well.
Infact, all bani other than the bani of SATGURU is kachi(diluted with maya).
The present days sikhs and kathavachaks like to speak a bit goody goody about vedas and ketaabs because they want to please the world.

Posted by: onkar (IP Logged)
Date: December 31, 2008 02:44PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

I am confused now. I request other Gursikhs like Bhai kulbir Singh and others to put their view on this panki.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Posted by: M Singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 02, 2009 12:33PM

Onkar ji
If u get Veer Kulbir Singh's mail.............u will be lucky enough. He is too busy, seems, these days. I do not find him here.

Posted by: Bijla Singh (IP Logged)
Date: January 03, 2009 05:32PM

According to my understanding the correct meanings are:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ – Vedas and Semitic scriptures

ਕਹਹੁ – call or declare them

ਮਤ – religions

ਝੂਠੇ – false

ਬੇਦਾਂ ਕਤੇਬਾਂ ਦੇ ਮੰਨੇ ਹੋਏ ਰਸਤਿਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਕਹੋ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਝੂਠੇ ਹਨ

Call the religions preached by Vedas and Semitic scriptures false

Last half pankti (line) is also misinterpreted because it cannot mean “Those who do not contemplate them are false” since it is in singular form. Here is word to word translation:

ਝੂਠਾ - false is he

ਜੋ ਨ - who doesn't

ਬਿਚਾਰੈ - contemplate the truth

Meaning – ਅਤੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਹੀ ਉਹ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਸੱਚ ਦੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ ।

And false is the person who follows any of these religions and does not contemplate the truth.

Bhai Randhir Singh Ji in his book “Gurmat Gauravta” gives the following interpretation of this line:

ਵੇਦ ਕਤੇਬੀ ਮੱਤ ਹਿੰਦੁਆਂ ਤੇ ਤੁਰਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਮੰਨੇ ਹੋਏ ਇਹ ਸਭ ਝੂਠੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮੱਤਾਂ ਦੇ ਵਿਚਾਰਨਹਾਰੇ ਭੀ ਝੂਠੇ ਹਨ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਉਹ ਸੱਚੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਿਚਾਰਦੇ.....

Religions of Vedas and Semitic scriptures are false and their followers are false as well because they do not contemplate the truth. As long as a person does not realize the truth of Gurmat he is false.

Word ਕਹਹੁ is a verb is third person and cannot mean "I call them". It is an instruction or calling upon others. Bhagat Ji would've used the word ਕਹਉ for himself. Had the correct interpretation been "Do not call vedas and katebas false" the order of the words would've been reversed like ਮਤ ਕਹਹੁ. In this case ਮਤ means religions and ਕਹਹੁ means call them. This is what I understand and this interpretation fits well with the rest of Gurbani.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib