ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Dasvandh
Posted by: Aalas Moorakh (IP Logged)
Date: December 22, 2009 01:31PM

Vahiguroo ji ka Khalsa, Vahiguroo ji ki fateh.

Just a quick question regarding dasvandh. Basically my question is where should your dasvandh go to? Iv recently believed that it should go towards Gurus parchaar, however iv started to doubt it a little bit as we always say that the Gurus golak is a poor persons mouth (ie the money given to guruji should be to feed poor people). But then again Guru sahib says a poor person can feel like a King if he is with god and the problem that the whole of humantiy faces is a spiritual one, which would back the idea of putting the dasvandh towards parchaar.

If it is parchaar, what kind of parchaar should you put it towards.
If it is poor/ill people how do you know the money will not be abused (ie to buy drugs/alcohol).

This was a quick question which has turned long :O)

Re: Dasvandh
Posted by: Takhat Singh (IP Logged)
Date: December 23, 2009 08:59AM

Dasvandh is essentially, as you said, for Panthic causes. It is like a tax on a Sikh to be submitted to the Panth. In earlier times it would go directly to Guru Sahib but now a Sikh must decide where to give it. It could go to a Gurdwara or additionally you could spend it on books to give people or some other Panthic cause.

In addition to Dasvandh, a Sikh is still encouraged to be a generous and daani person and to help those in need. A poor person's mouth is still Guru ki Golak but that doesn't mean that covers Dasvandh.

I used to always give food or some other item in lieu of money to beggars but I learned that many of these people were begging as a job and so I've stopped. Many beggars will use money you give to buy drugs and that makes you partly responsible for it if you're funding the habit.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib