ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Ardaas question
Posted by: silahiwala (IP Logged)
Date: November 22, 2007 11:32AM

Gurfateh! (This might seem like a stupid question but) why in ardaas do we bow twice and not once nearing end? 1st after 'nanak naam chardi kalla tere bhanay sarbatt dha bhalla' and 2nd time after 'aagaiya bhae akaal ki......so humri rachiya karay gur kalgitaar jagdish'?

Suggestions please.

Re: Ardaas question
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 23, 2007 01:00PM

The second time matha tek is mandatory only if one is sitting in diwan and going to sit afterwards. If doing ardaas outside of Gurdwara sangat, one has to do matha tek after "Nanak Naam chardi Kala...." and then after the jaikara one just needs to say fateh and if need be bow your head.

I could be wrong and the above is just my understanding.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: November 23, 2007 06:47PM

If one doesn't have Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Mahraaj da Saroop in his/her home, am I right in saying that there is no need to do matha tek after Ardas? Do we take the literal meaning when we are told NOT to bow before anyone or anything apart from the Guru?

This brings up other questions: many people do Matha Tek to various pavitar places, i.e. in Harmandir Sahib, Sevadaars do it to the manji/palki sahib. Some do Matha Tek to Gurbani Pothiyaa(n)/Senchiyaa(n), and others to historical places/artifacts that were somehow connected or belonging to the Gurus.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2007 10:49AM

bump! :P

(sorry admins)

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2007 11:56AM

--------
If one doesn't have Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Mahraaj da Saroop in his/her home, am I right in saying that there is no need to do matha tek after Ardas? Do we take the literal meaning when we are told NOT to bow before anyone or anything apart from the Guru?
----------

I think irrespective of whether there is Guru Sahib's parkash or not, we still should matha-tek after ardaas. We matha-tek to all pervading Vaheguru and our Guru Sahibaan. The only difference is that when doing ardaas in the hazoori of Guru Sahib, we are all supposed to face Guru Sahib but when Siri Guru Granth Sahib is not parkash, then Gursikhs can do ardaas facing whichever direction they please.

---------
This brings up other questions: many people do Matha Tek to various pavitar places, i.e. in Harmandir Sahib, Sevadaars do it to the manji/palki sahib. Some do Matha Tek to Gurbani Pothiyaa(n)/Senchiyaa(n), and others to historical places/artifacts that were somehow connected or belonging to the Gurus.
---------

It's perfectly fine to matha-tek (out of respect) to anything positively associated with Guru Sahib but matha-tek done for Guru Sahib should be only to Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee or Khalsa as a whole (sangat).

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib