ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

TV is especially bad for naujavaan khalsa faujaa(n)
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 08, 2008 12:25AM

[news.uk.msn.com]

Ban TV for young children - expert

Pre-school children should not be allowed to watch TV or play with computers, a leading expert and author claims.

Dr Aric Sigman wants to see parents and teachers encouraged to enforce an early years "buffer zone" that would ban all electronic media to protect developing brains.

He has accused ministers of ignoring scientific evidence that hours spent in front of televisions and computer screens can inflict lasting damage on young children.

Dr Sigman will spell out his radical ban-the-box plan in a lecture to the Institute of Biology in London.

The doctor, an associate fellow of the British Institute of Biology who has campaigned strongly against young people having too much access to TVs and computers, argues that Government policy is putting children at risk.

He pointed out that teachers were now legally required to show children as young as 22 months how to turn on and operate televisions and computers.

At the same time as education policies were cultivating more screen viewing by children, convincing scientific evidence of the way television and computers can harm childhood development was coming to light, said Dr Sigman.

Television viewing among children under three was linked to poor mathematical ability, reading recognition and comprehension in later years.

"Educational" DVDs for babies and toddlers were thought to hold back language acquisition, and screen viewing at all ages from one to 14 was associated with "attention damage".

In addition, violent TV programmes, DVD recordings and computer games were known to cause changes in brain functions affecting impulsiveness and aggression.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: TV is especially bad for naujavaan khalsa faujaa(n)
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 09, 2008 12:15AM

I personally feel TV nu aggg laaa ke fook dena chahidaaa.TV ne duniyaa te sikhan nu barbad kar dittaaa. Some time back, I went to the house of a bibeki family,when i entered dastaar valiyaan bibiyaan were watching a RIDICULOUS serial, their eyes were dead stuck on the TV screen.That serial meant a lot to them, hahahaha. Though they told they keep strong bibek, but somehow my conscience dint allow me to eat from their hands.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:04AM

In Western countries where it is quite difficult to instill Punjabi as the mother tongue of kids, it is imperative that the kids are kept away from TV. We have this information first hand that kids who don't watch TV and if their parents speak Punjabi at home, then the kids definitely have Punjabi as their mother tongue. Fluency in Punjabi helps in understanding Gurbani and reading Gurmat literature because most of the Gurmat literature is in Punjabi.

Another negative point of indulging kids in watching TV or playing video games is that kids are not fit physically and many kids are actually obese. This is pretty bad. Kids who become obese during childhood, God knows, what they will become when they grow older.

So the best policy is to avoid TV.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: No_0ne (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2008 12:53AM

The main reasons for why playing games or watching tv is wrong because:

- it distracts you
- you become lazy to jap naam, do your paath, etc
- it becomes an attachment
- it can encourage you to commit wrong deeds because they usually show gf/bf
- you cannot remember God

its only made to bring pleasure and joy from maya, so it can only give bad things

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2008 09:50AM

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ

khalsa jeeo,

everything we experience through our sense organs leaves some sort of impression – whther subtle or gross. For instance, some of the young people I work with have suffered from sexual abuse from parents. This manifests within them in the form of negative energies of all kinds. For instance some of them are very violent, some hate themselves, some are unable to trust anyone, some harm themselves etc.

just as we generally physically experience things, so the things we see and hear affect us. Television is certainly the biggest maya-based distractions out there.

Anyone who even takes their bhagtee-jeevan even half-seriously will either drastically reduce the amount of television they watch or completely eliminate it from their lives. This is because when they jap naam, they come to experience first-hand how the panj chor actively bring all those images, sounds and scenarios to their attention in order to distract them from immersing into naam.

The following shabad, which mentions transient worldly dramas (ਕਸੁੰਭ ਕੀ ਲੀਲਾ) should be taken as referring to the vast majority of drivel that hat people watch on TV i.e. dramas, films, big brother etc.

ਗਉੜੀਮਹਲਾ੫ ॥
ਛੋਡਿਛੋਡਿਰੇਬਿਖਿਆਕੇਰਸੂਆ ॥
ਉਰਝਿਰਹਿਓਰੇਬਾਵਰਗਾਵਰਜਿਉਕਿਰਖੈਹਰਿਆਇਓਪਸੂਆ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਜੋਜਾਨਹਿਤੂੰਅਪੁਨੇਕਾਜੈਸੋਸੰਗਿਨਚਾਲੈਤੇਰੈਤਸੂਆ ॥
ਨਾਗੋਆਇਓਨਾਗਸਿਧਾਸੀਫੇਰਿਫਿਰਿਓਅਰੁਕਾਲਿਗਰਸੂਆ ॥੧॥
ਪੇਖਿਪੇਖਿਰੇਕਸੁੰਭਕੀਲੀਲਾਰਾਚਿਮਾਚਿਤਿਨਹੂੰਲਉਹਸੂਆ ॥
ਛੀਜਤਡੋਰਿਦਿਨਸੁਅਰੁਰੈਨੀਜੀਅਕੋਕਾਜੁਨਕੀਨੋਕਛੂਆ ॥੨॥
ਕਰਤਕਰਤਇਵਹੀਬਿਰਧਾਨੋਹਾਰਿਓਉਕਤੇਤਨੁਖੀਨਸੂਆ ॥
ਜਿਉਮੋਹਿਓਉਨਿਮੋਹਨੀਬਾਲਾਉਸਤੇਘਟੈਨਾਹੀਰੁਚਚਸੂਆ ॥੩॥
ਜਗੁਐਸਾਮੋਹਿਗੁਰਹਿਦਿਖਾਇਓਤਉਸਰਣਿਪਰਿਓਤਜਿਗਰਬਸੂਆ ॥
ਮਾਰਗੁਪ੍ਰਭਕੋਸੰਤਿਬਤਾਇਓਦ੍ਰਿੜੀਨਾਨਕਦਾਸਭਗਤਿਹਰਿਜਸੂਆ ॥੪॥੬॥੧੨੭॥
(ਅੰਗ ੨੦੬)

gourree mehalaa 5 ||
Gauree, Fifth Mehla:

shhodd shhodd rae bikhiaa kae rasooaa ||
Give them up - give up the pleasures of corruption;

ourajh rehiou rae baavar gaavar jio kirakhai hariaaeiou pasooaa ||1|| rehaao ||
you are entangled in them, you crazy fool, like an animal grazing in the green fields. ||1||Pause||

jo jaanehi thoo(n) apunae kaajai so sa(n)g n chaalai thaerai thasooaa ||
That which you believe to be of use to you, shall not go even an inch with you.

naago aaeiou naag sidhhaasee faer firiou ar kaal garasooaa ||1||
Naked you came, and naked you shall depart. You shall go round and round the cycle of birth and death, and you shall be food for Death. ||1||

paekh paekh rae kasu(n)bh kee leelaa raach maach thinehoo(n) lo hasooaa ||
Watching, watching the transitory dramas of the world, you are embroiled and enmeshed in them, and you laugh with delight.

shheejath ddor dhinas ar rainee jeea ko kaaj n keeno kashhooaa ||2||
The string of life is wearing thin, day and night, and you have done nothing for your soul. ||2||

karath karath eiv hee biradhhaano haariou oukathae than kheenasooaa ||
Doing your deeds, you have grown old; your voice fails you, and your body has become weak.

jio mohiou oun mohanee baalaa ous thae ghattai naahee ruch chasooaa ||3||
You were enticed by Maya in your youth, and your attachment for it has not diminished, one little bit. ||3||

jag aisaa mohi gurehi dhikhaaeiou tho saran pariou thaj garabasooaa ||
The Guru has shown me that this is the way of the world; I have abandoned the dwelling of pride, and entered Your Sanctuary.

maarag prabh ko sa(n)th bathaaeiou dhrirree naanak dhaas bhagath har jasooaa ||4||6||127||
The Saint has shown me the Path of God; slave Nanak has implanted devotional worship and the Praise of the Lord. ||4||6||127||

(Ang 206)

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: February 14, 2008 04:43AM

Lots of TV serials are about women playing clever tricks, women fighting with their mother in law. And i have seen lots of bibis(including amritdhari including dastaar dhari) have become addicted to such serials. THese serials ruin the whole house atmosphere. These days even amritdhair bibis are reluctant to take care of their parents in law and also do chugglis with each other.
Bibis either a want a professional singh who stays away from his family or u have nri bibis buying naukarr cum husbands from the 3rd world and doing complete beadbi of anand karaj ceremony.

apne he sukh seo sabb laage, kyaa daaraa kyaa meet.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib