ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Punjabi language will disappear in 50 years: Unesco report
Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: March 01, 2008 05:52PM

Nayar vows to save Punjabi
Punjabi language will disappear in 50 years: Unesco report
Sarbjit Dhaliwal
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, March 1
Noted journalist Kuldip Nayar has taken it on himself to preserve the Punjabi language and culture.

“I have gone through a report prepared by Unesco which says the Punjabi language will disappear from the world in 50 years. It shocked me. I am out to save Punjabi language and culture,” he said here today. He was invited by the Punjabi Bachao Manch seeking his help to save Punjabi in Chandigarh, capital of Punjab, a state carved on the basis of Punjabi language.

“Tomorrow I will be in Jalandhar and the next day in Patiala to speak in favour of Punjabi language and culture,” he said. “Our roots, Punjabi language and culture, are decaying and none in Punjab is worried about it,”he said, adding, “I have been to Pakistan and people there also feel their new generation feels hesitant to converse in Punjabi”.

It was shame for Punjabis that they were discouraging children from conversing in Punjabi while at home and want them speak English or Hindi. “I am not against Hindi or English, but I will not like these languages to become a cause for the demise of Punjabi language,” he added.

He said politicians linked the language to politics and it caused huge damage to Punjabi language. He said at the time of the Punjabi Suba Morcha, he had met then Congress president Kamraj, who had agreed to keep the boundary of the Punjabi Suba up to Panipat and for including the remaining part in the greater Delhi region. Even Bhagwat Dayal, a leader from the Haryana region, had agreed. But Sant Fateh Singh, who was leading the morcha, did not agree, he said. “Now you see how much damage has been caused because of reducing Punjab, which was one of the biggest states in the country, into a tiny state. It happened because of political reasons,” he said.

A former vice-chancellor of Guru Nanak Dev University Dr S.P. Singh said at the cost of Punjabi language, Adarsh schools, dominated by English language and culture, were being set up in Punjab. Political leaders were creating an elite class in urban and rural areas to strengthen political bases, he said.

He said the elite class was dominating bureaucracy, politics and other spheres whereas commoners had lost identity. Dr Darshan Singh, journalist Tarlochan Singh, manch’s convener Gurpartap Singh Riar, former editor Shingara Singh Bhullar and Prof Rajpal Singh were among the speakers.

Re: Punjabi language will disappear in 50 years: Unesco report
Posted by: Sardar (IP Logged)
Date: March 02, 2008 01:45PM

think about the west. this new punjabi generation dont even speak punjabi with each other. they all speak english. some of them dont even know punjabi, or at least not properly. the west needs to be saved too, not just india.

Posted by: sidhu.hcl (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2008 11:51AM

The report here is absurd. Punjabi has become the 6th most spoken language in the world and intrestingly Hindi lies at 7th position.

Yes this may be true that people are illitrate in Punjabi Gurmukhi writing and reading .
We can hold special programs at Gurudwars to teach everyone Punjabi(gurmukhi). this can help us.

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: March 06, 2008 04:18PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

ਆਪਾ ਜੇਕਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਵਿਚ ਰਹੀਏ ਜਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਵਿਚ ਆ ਜਾਈਏ ਤਾਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਗਲ ਦੀ ਚਿੰਤਾਂ ਨਹੀ

ਨਾਨਕ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਹੇਇ ॥ ਪੰਨਾ 955

ਜੀਹਨੇ ਇਹ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਬੋਲੀ ਬਣਾਈ ਹੈ ਉਸਨੂੰ ਇਸ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਿਆਦਾ ਚਿੰਤਾਂ ਹੈ। ਕੁਲਦੀਪ ਨਈਅਰ ਜੀ ਜੇਕਰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਵਿਚ ਆਉਣ ਦਾ ਉਦਮ ਕਰ ਲੈਣ ਤਾਂ ਅਸੀ ਸਮਝਦੇ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਇਸ ਬੋਲੀ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਬਹੁਤ ਵਧੀਆ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਹਨ। ਸਾਡਾ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਨਿਸ਼ਚਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਭਾਈ ਇਹ ਬੋਲੀ ਤਾਂ ਅਜੇ ਰੁੜਣੀ ਹੀ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ਅਜੇ ਤਾਂ ਏਸ ਨੇ ਜਵਾਨ ਹੋਣਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਆਉਣ ਵਾਲੀਆਂ ਸਦੀਆਂ ਤੇ ਰਾਜ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੈ।
[pa.wikipedia.org]

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib