ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

1978: Panthic Eikta = Love beyond differences
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:26AM

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ

Sadh-Sangat Jeeo,

The below is a stanza from a poem written by Panth Rattan and Mahaan Gursikh, the late (Sant) Baba Gurbachan Singh, BhinDraa(n)valae who was a previous Jathedar of Damdamee Taksaal . Furthermore, as most people know, he was an extremely prominent and well respected Panthic figure who did immense amounts of seva and had immense Gurmat kamaaee. The following stanza is located in the poem 'Sri Gurmukh Parkaash' (Published by Baba Mohan Singh Ji, 1984, by Locket Printers, Amritsar Sahib):

ਦਿੱਲੀ ਮੇ ਰਕਾਬ ਗੰਜ ਕੰਧ ਢਾਹੀ ਜੋ ਫਿਰੰਗੀ,
ਸਿੰਘ ਸਾਵਧਾਨ ਜਾਗੇ ਸੀਸਾਂ ਤਾਂਈਂ ਲਾਵਨੇ।
ਭਾਈ ਰਣਧੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੀਸ ਦੇਣ ਆਪ ਗਏ,
ਕੰਧ ਉਸਰਾਲੀ ਫੇਰ ਮੋਨੀ ਘਬਰਾਵਨੇ।
ਸੰਤ ਰਣਧੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਨਾਮੁ ਲਿਵਲਾਈ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ,
ਕੀਰਤਨ ਅਖੰਡ ਕਰੈ ਮਨ ਤਿਪ੍ਰਤਾਵਨੇ।
ਸਤਾਰਾਂ ਸਾਲ ਜੇਲ੍ਹ ਕਟੀ ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਬੀਚ ਛਕੈ,
ਧੰਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਮਨ ਤਨ ਰੰਗ ਗਾਵਨੇ॥

The above is Baba Jee talking about Bhai Sahib Bhai RaNdheer Singh, who in the early 1900's came to be know as a prominent figure within a Panthic Jathebandee (group/collective), which in turn came to be known over time as the 'Nirbaan Keertanee Jatha', 'Akhand Keertanee Jatha' etc.

Although they had differences of opinion i.e. Baba Jee was a staunch proponent of Raagmaala as GurbaaNee, whilst Bhai Sahib was of the belief that Raagmaala is not GurbaaNee, we can see above that this did not affect the love they shared between one another. Baba Jee refers to Bhai Sahib as a 'Sant', mentions his lengthy jail sentence (incurred as a result of Bhai Sahib spearheading the early agitation against British Imperial Rule i.e. Lahore Conspiracy Case), praises his strict Rehitvaan-Jeevan and then finishes by describing Bhai Sahib as a beloved of Siree Guroo Sahib, whose mind and body was coloured and sang in the love, the very colour, of Vahiguroo's love. Please remember that Baba Jee was not the sort of person who did someone’s Ustat (praised them) for effect or to carry favour, and he certainly wasn't the type of person who contradicted his own words.

My Bentee is that the youth of today, who will be the Panthic leaders of tomorrow, should take note of the above. Baba Jee and Bhai Sahib had love for one another - never can it be proved that they ever spoke a harsh word about one another. Furthermore, the above proves that there was a sense of Eikta (one-ness/united-ness) between them.

Yet, we still continue to hear youth either speaking or writing things on cyber-forums such as 'Bhai Sahib died painfully because he didn't believe in Raagmaala' or that 'Bhai Sahib admitted to Baba Jee that it was GurbaaNee but didn't tell anyone else'. Why do we feel the need to tell such stories and taint such beautiful memories?

The learning point I wish to humbly share is this: Let us realise that Eikta is not achieved by convincing ourselves that everyone must agree with our 'Eik Mat and Eik Gurmat Sojhee' for us to achieve Eikta, whether that is regarding the way we do Paath, the way we Jap Naam, the way we dress, the way we eat, who we do Sangat with etc. When requested let us do Veechaar with love, with humility, without feeling anger and ego. If we disagree then that is His Bhana.

True Gursikhs exude humility and Ghareebee (almost poverty-like humility/powerlessness) when doing Veechaar. How easy it would be if we all agreed on everything - then there would be no test. It's easy to love someone who thinks exactly like you isn't it? It's not so easy to love someone who doesn't is it? Our ego can’t take it. Well that is a basic Gurmat test yet many of us do not seem to be able to rise up to it.

Eikta is achieved only by realising that we are members of the Eik Khalsa Panth, that this Eik Panth has Eik Pyaar which transcends all 'jathebandic affiliations'. When we submit to Siree Guroo Sahib Jee in the form of our complete Jeevan, when we try to live according to His Rehit, only then will we start behaving like the Mahaan Gurmukhs we so often claim to respect and agree with. You see, Baba Jee and Bhai Sahib were united by their love for Siree Guroo Sahib Jee, His Being, His Hukams and His Rehits. They were coloured in the same colour. This went beyond any differences they had. They lived, breathed and exuded obedience and servility in the presence of Hazar Nazar (ever-present/ever-watchful) Satguroo Jee. This was through the gift of Bhagtee and Seva that Maharaaj Jee blessed upon them. Can we say the same regarding ourselves? Then why do we use their esteemed names, their Sunder (beautiful) memory to justify our 'gang mentality', this need we have to get everyone to agree with us, so we feel better about what we believe? These Jathebandeeaa(n) only exist today because of the Seva and Kamayee of these Gursikhs – yet we use their existence to formulate, mobilise and justify our bitterness and our resentment for one another.

Khalsa Jeeo, these Highly Spiritual Souls, who are probably both trying to wash each-other's feet in Sachkhand as we speak, would no doubt say the following to us:

'Take Amrit and become Tyaar-Bar-Tyaar (forever prepared and ready) Guroo-Walae. Read GurbaaNee, Jap Naam and keep Rehit. Do Seva for the Panth, be ever-ready to give your mind, body and wealth for the sake of this beloved Panth. Above all, Love one another and be prepared to give Shaheedee standing shoulder together with one another'

If we had Jeevans and as a result took on board what they have to say, and what they will forever represent, we would have Panthic Eikta right now. It is no coincidence that in 1978, 30 years ago, it was gursikhs from these two Panthic Jathebandeeaa(n), Damdamee Taksaal and Akhand Keertanee Jatha, who met and then stood shoulder to shoulder against the Naqlee Nirankarees. It is no coincidence that it was they who were hand-picked from amongst the Panth and blessed with Shaheedee.

Khalsa Jeeo, these Gursikhs had not only their Kamaaee but the legacy of their Jathebandeeaa(n), the part they have played in the Khalsa Panth, to support them, to raise them and finally, to exalt them. United as Khalsa brothers, their Pita Jee, Dasmesh Pita Jee, blessed them, just as he had blessed his Sahibzaadae previously.

Khalsa Jeeo, let us realise that Jathebandeeaa(n) are siblings, are brothers. Sometimes they disagree, sometimes they argue and sometimes they say hurtful things to one another. However, their Pita Jee intervenes, chastises them and then continues loving them equally. Their Pita Jee, Dasmesh Pita Jee, surely says to them:

"My Khalsa, my Perfect Satguroo - be prepared to give Shaheedee not just for me but for one another. For if you cannot do this, if you do not truly love one another, my Khalsa, then you do not truly love me. Piyaario (beloved ones), tell me, who else is it that you see in one another's faces, hearts and souls when it is I who breathes, lives and is exalted through the Khalsa?"

Dasmesh Pita Jee has written the following about His Khalsa:

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੀਜਾਤਅਰਪਤ ॥ khhalasa maeree jath ar path
Khalsa is my caste & creed

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਸੋਮਾਕੋਉਤਪਤ ॥ khhalasa so ma ko outhapath
Because of the Khalsa, I was born

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਭਵਨਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥ khhalasa maero bhavan bhanddara
Khalsa is my world treasure

ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇਕਰਮੇਰੋਸਤਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ khhalasae kar maero sathikara
Because of the Khalsa, I have respect

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਸ੍ਵਜਨਪ੍ਰਵਾਰਾ ॥ khhalasa maero svajan pravara
Khalsa is my close family

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਕਰਤਉਧਾਰਾ ॥ khhalasa maero karath oudhhara
Khalsa grants me favours

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਪਿੰਡਪਰਾਨ ॥ khhalasa maero pindd paran
Khalsa is my body and soul

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੀਜਾਨਕੀਜਾਨ ॥ khhalasa maeree jan kee jan
Khalsa is the breath of my life (life of my life)

ਮਾਨਮਹਤਮੇਰੀਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਸਹੀ ॥ man mehath maeree khhalasa sehee
Honour and glory accompany my Khalsa

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਸ੍ਵਾਰਥਸਹੀ ॥ khhalasa maero svarathh sehee
Khalsa is my real interest

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਕਰੇਨਿਰਬਾਹ ॥ khhalasa maero karae nirabah
Khalsa maintains my mission

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਮੇਰੋਦੇਹਅਰਸਾਹ ॥ khhalasa maero dhaeh ar sah
Khalsa is my body and breath

Khalsa Jeeo, whatever changes you need to make in your Jeevan in order to truly start loving one another as Khalsa, beg for the Udham (strength of effort) from Dasmesh Pita Jee so that those changes can be made from today. It is then that the Panth will rise up, that it will be in Chardhee Kalaa (ascending spirits), instead of it's current state of Dehndee Kalaa (descending spirits).

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: 1978: Panthic Eikta = Love beyond differences
Posted by: inderjeet1012 (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:26AM

amazing and so true...........

Re: 1978: Panthic Eikta = Love beyond differences
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:27AM

Excellent post by Bhai Atma Singh jee.

Sant jee has expressed his love for Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee in beautiful words and in poetic form.

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib