ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Who is ALLOWED to wear a bana?
Posted by: yes (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2008 05:20PM

I recently wore a Bana to a program at a Gurdwara as it was in preparation of the Vaisakhi activities. I thought that I should wear Bana since it was the month of Vaisakhi. I am not Amritdhari although I try to keep a basic strict Rehit.

After I wore the Bana, two days after a man approached me asking why I wore it... and I answered because it was Vaisakhi and it felt appropriate. However, he said that I wasn't allowed to wear it because I am not Amritdhari, not in an angry way but in a nice manner.. After the conversation I felt slightly confused...

So, I just wanted Gurmat views on this... can Non-Amritdharis wear a Bana on a special occasion? Or even to the Gurdwara?

Thanks for your help.

=)

Re: Who is ALLOWED to wear a bana?
Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2008 06:52PM

<< I recently wore a Bana to a program at a Gurdwara as it was in preparation of the Vaisakhi activities. I thought that I should wear Bana since it was the month of Vaisakhi. I am not Amritdhari although I try to keep a basic strict Rehit.>>

pyariyaa, thats so sweet. pyare jee, i personally feel u can wear gursikhi bana inside a gurdwara or attending a parbhatferi, vaisakhi etc.
other than this, i feel u shud wait till chakking amrit(u will be an amritdhari and a pretty nice one, TRUST ME, lol).
the above was my personal opinion, if we talk things a bit more legally, well noone can really be stopped from wearing a wide kurtaa(for sikhs its bana), a turban, pagg(khalsaii dastaar or nihungi dumalla), a long underwear(khalsaaii kachhera), an iron bangle(khalsaaiii karraaa), a comb(khalsaiii kangha)

Posted by: 00Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 03:24AM

Its a matter on opinion I think. I feel its fine, you're getting into the spirit of things so why not? But I have to say, Bana does look better with full kakaars too!

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 04:13AM

absolutely pathetic...

may i ask if this person was wearing bana at the time?

Date: April 09, 2008 05:36AM

just to add 1 more thing,
many people(punjabis, hindus, muslims) wear kurtas,infact kurta was the main dress of males in this part of the globe.
Now kurtaa i feel is much better than panth-shirt, but a wide kurtaa is much better than a traditional kurtaa as it is much more comfortable, DECENT and looks much better.
When an amritdhari wears wide kurtaa, it is equal to bana.
by this logic, u can wear a wide kurtaa whereever u want too. I personally will agree with this logic.

<< can Non-Amritdharis wear a Bana on a special occasion? Or even to the Gurdwara? >>
i am HURT(aaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....). if someone stops u from wearing a wide kurtaa, just email me and I will take care. i am planning to get a few banas(untill u chakk amrit, for u its just a wide kurtaa) stiched from a zabardast tailor that the panth other than nihungs does not know about. if u wish i can send u a zabardast wide kurtaa and people in ur galli, mahalla, town, city will start to fall at ur feet and who knows u might become a Baba,hahaha,jokes.

Date: April 09, 2008 05:53AM

<< Bana does look better with full kakaars too>>
i think u meant bana looks better with gaatra but i feel gaatra IS A PART of sikhi baanaa. I personally feel it is used to maintain the shastar(tegh) rehit of an amritdhari but then others feel it is used to maintain the kakkaar rehit.

Date: April 09, 2008 07:44AM

just to add more thoughts
who is ALLOWED to wear kachehra ??
only sikhs but I feel the entire human population shud wear long underwear stiched like kachehra.

who is ALLOWED to wear dastaar ??
only singhs but i feel the entire human population shud keep their hair and wear a turban or pagg or paggrriii( i hate the word paggriii, hahaha)

who is ALLOWED to cook degh ?
only a jeevan wala amritdhari but I feel the entire human population shud use aataa,gheeooo, sugar and water and prepare food using the technique of degh.

Posted by: gsingh (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 09:32AM

my personal opinion is that those who have not taken amrit should not wear khalsa bana. I do not have any problems with the intent of the individual who wears it, as he is prolly doing it out of pyar for sikhi, but at the same time to wear bana when you have not yet taken amrit is to turn bana into a bhekh. By wearing bana one gives other people the impression that he is a Singh of Guru Gobind Singh, but if a person has not yet taken amrit, this appearance does not match the truth. Rehitnamae even go to the point of saying 'kes dharae pahul binaa, bhekhee moorakh sikh'

just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.

Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 10:23AM

Veer gsingh jeeo,

What is your opinion of 'allowing' little veers/bhens wearing BaNa? shouuld they be restricted? How about people who are trying their uttermost to become Gursikh but haven't yet been bestowed Amrit di daat?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but according to you, one should adopt Khalsa BaNa rehat after/during Amrit Sanchaar? Does this apply to other rehats such as Bibek, Waking up at Amritvela, Nitnem...?

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Posted by: oothpathang (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 11:21AM

I say go for it. If it looks good, then do it.

Posted by: sidhu.hcl (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 01:10PM

veer ji in my opinion , a "BANA" is combination of (wide kurta + kashera+ kesh+ dastaar+ sri sahib ji+ kara) when all these combined bana is formed for a sikh.
If any of the thing is absent we cant call it a "bana"

In india and in abraod its freedom to wear what u want "unless it hurts somebody's sentiment" . yes ofcourse u can wear a wide kurta , kashera and keshgi but it cant be termed as BANA

Posted by: gsingh (IP Logged)
Date: April 10, 2008 08:27AM

Outwardly ji,

No, it would not generalize to other rehits. Bana is a way of showing who you are - a Singh of Guru Gobind Singh ji. Until someone becomes a Singh of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, is it not a bhekh to wear the dress of a Singh? Perhaps I am wrong.

Other rehats such as amritvela and nitnem are not just rehats for Singhs. All sikhs should keep these, even if they are still sehajdhaari and working towards taking amrit. It is only through bani that someone will get the thirst to drink amrit. Also, these rehits are not outwardly rehats and they are not displayed to the world. Wearing bana is the same as yelling out 'my pita is guru gobind singh ji'.

Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2008 03:28AM

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ

khalsa jeeo,

i was blessed with bana after returning from panjaab which i visited for the first and only time about 2-3 years ago. all the singhs e.g. maleeaa(n)valae were wearing bana and so i wore it. i was naam-heen at that point.

i do feel that continuing to wear it all the time when returning back to the UK gave me more confidence and helped me 'mentally accept' other important rehits along the way before having been given naam i.e. bibek including food bibek (sarbloh bibek). maharaaj jee jandae if i was committing a major beadbee - perhaps i was even despite the fact it 'helped me'.

previous to wearing bana, i had been wearing panj kakaars for a long time before being given naam but looking back, although i didn't eat meat, take drugs, cut my kesh etc., i still had a 'girlfriend', who was long-term and the person i ended-up marrying and taking a(n)mrit with, but i think i am trying to sweeten this up now!!!

looking back, for me to have worn kakkaars whilst having a 'girlfriend' was definitely a case of beadbee regarding kakaars and if i could change one thing that i have experienced during my journey so far regards sikhee, it would be that.

i mention the last issue in the hope that it could potentially influence other members of sangat, who are 'walking towards' maharaaj jee, and trying to decide whether they should wear kakaars before stopping all kurehitaa(n)/before being blessed with naam.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Date: April 11, 2008 06:55AM

having a girl friend and wearing Dashmesh Pita's bana is BEADBI and I guess may be deserves some serious beating.
Yes having a girl friend and wearing a wide kurtaa is a person's freedom.
Now, a person is wearing a wide kurtaa or a bana, only he knows.

Posted by: Harcharan Singh (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2008 08:28AM

With regards to wide kurtha etc, could I ask who at which point in time did the hukum arise that this is baana. Wide kurthaa is simply the r'vaaj amongst many Sikhs today (last 100 years).

In my opinion only 5 kakaar are Banaa (outwardly).

Date: April 11, 2008 10:50AM

lets say a person(hindu, muslim, non-amritdhari) starts on the path of exploring aatmic-jeevan. He wants to wear a suitable dress. He thinks of wearing a long kurtaa and then to make it more decent(especially while chaunkrraa sitting), he widens his kurtaa. Nuthing wrong.Theory invented,lol
if a non-amritdhari starts on the path of exploring gurmat aatmic-jeevan, he can wear a wide kurtaa.
PROVE THIS THEORY WRONG AND U WIN 1 GANDAASSA FREE, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

<<< veer ji in my opinion , a "BANA" is combination of (wide kurta + kashera+ kesh+ dastaar+ sri sahib ji+ kara) when all these combined bana is formed for a sikh.
If any of the thing is absent we cant call it a "bana" >>>

Kakaars are different. Veer ji to be honest its tough for mortals to understand gur-mukhi bana, just as its almost impossible for us to understand gur-mukhvaak-bani.
Bana is something Satguru jee wants his pyara laadla baby bhollaa sikh to look like. It can include chollaa, gaatra, dastaar,dumalla, chakkarr, chand, torraa, maalaaa,punj shastraa or even a gandassaaa, hahahaha

Dhan Dhan Baba Mitt Singh Jee

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib