ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

How many Gursikhs bani in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji?
Posted by: Jatinder Bir Singh (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2008 02:30PM

Dear Gur pyare jeo,

Anyone please let me know " How many gursikhs bani is compiled in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji along with six gurus and bhatt's bani? What are their names? "

Re: How many Gursikhs bani in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji?
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2008 06:07AM

Mardana, Balwand and Sata as far as i can discern.

did you mean the bhagats?

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2008 11:14AM

Following are the Bhagats who’s baani is in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. In reality these bhagats were comtemporaries of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee and according to our history, Siri Guru jee met them and they became Sikhs of Siri Guru jee.

1. Bhagat Kabir jee
2. Bhagat Naamdev jee
3. Bhagat Ravidas jee
4. Bhagat Ramanand jee
5. Bhagat Parmanand jee
6. Bhagat Sain jee
7. Bhagat Beni jee
8. Bhagat Dhanna jee
9. Bhagat Pipa jee
10. Bhagat Jaidev jee
11. Bhagat Farid jee
12. Bhagat Bhikhan jee
13. Bhagat Trilochan jee
14. Bhagat Surdas jee
15. Bhagat Sadhna jee

Following are the 11 Bhats who’s baani is in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. These Bhats travelled for one year throughout the Indian subcontinent but could not find anyone who could quench their spiritual thirst and in the end they came to the darbar of Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee. They became Sikhs of Guru and then Guru jee enabled them to pronounce Dhur kee Baani:

1. Kal Sahaar
2. Jaalap
3. Keerat
4. Bhikha
5. Sal
6. Bhal
7. Nal
8. Gayand
9. Mathura
10.Bal
11.Harbans

Apart from them there is a vaar, also called Ramkali kee Vaar and Tikke kee Vaar, that was pronunced by Hazoori Kirtaniyas of Guru Sahib. Their names are:

1.Satta
2. Balwand

Finally a baani called Ramkali Sadd was pronounced by Sunder jee, the grandson of Siri Guru Amardas jee.

In total, the contributers of baani of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee are as follows:

6 Guru Sahibaan
15 Bhagats of Guru Nanak Dev jee
11 Bhatts, Sikhs of Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee
2 Hazoori Raagis – Sikhs of Guru Arjun Dev jee
1 Grandson and Sikh of of Siri Guru Amardas jee

Total contributers are 6 + 15 + 11 + 2 + 1 = 35

Some Gursikhs believe that there is baani of Bhai Mardana jee too in Gurbani but this is not true. Those saloks with heading Salok Mardana (Mahala) 1 are saloks written by Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee but probably addressed to Bhai Mardana jee.

One thing I would like to add is that in many old saroops there is one salok under the heading Mahalla 10, within Saloks of Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib jee. I personally am inclined to believe that this indeed is the baani of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj but present printed Birs of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee don’t contain this heading of Mahalla 10. If we were to assume that this indeed is the baani of Siri Guru Dasmesh jee, then the total contributors of Gurbani would rise to 36.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: June 19, 2008 11:23AM

yes that makes sense that Guru Nanak wrote the sloaks entitled Mardana.

" In reality these bhagats were comtemporaries of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee and according to our history, Siri Guru jee met them and they became Sikhs of Siri Guru jee."

-wow! are you SERIOUS? thats far out!

which sloak is that which is written mahala 10? can someone please let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2008 12:17PM by admin.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib