ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

ਹੁਕਮਨਾਮਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ - hukamnama sahib : 15/7/08
Posted by: Atma Singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 15, 2008 11:01AM

ਸਲੋਕ॥
ਰਸਨਾਉਚਰੰਤਿਨਾਮੰਸ੍ਰਵਣੰਸੁਨੰਤਿਸਬਦਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਹ॥
ਨਾਨਕਤਿਨਸਦਬਲਿਹਾਰੰਜਿਨਾਧਿਆਨੁਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮਣਹ॥੧॥
ਹਭਿਕੂੜਾਵੇਕੰਮਇਕਸੁਸਾਈਬਾਹਰੇ॥
ਨਾਨਕਸੇਈਧੰਨੁਜਿਨਾਪਿਰਹੜੀਸਚਸਿਉ॥੨॥
ਪਉੜੀ॥
ਸਦਬਲਿਹਾਰੀਤਿਨਾਜਿਸੁਨਤੇਹਰਿਕਥਾ॥
ਪੂਰੇਤੇਪਰਧਾਨਨਿਵਾਵਹਿਪ੍ਰਭਮਥਾ॥
ਹਰਿਜਸੁਲਿਖਹਿਬੇਅੰਤਸੋਹਹਿਸੇਹਥਾ॥
ਚਰਨਪੁਨੀਤਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਚਾਲਹਿਪ੍ਰਭਪਥਾ॥
ਸੰਤਾਂਸੰਗਿਉਧਾਰੁਸਗਲਾਦੁਖੁਲਥਾ॥੧੪॥

(ਅੰਘ ੭੦੯)

- ਸਾਈ - when should this word be pronounced as it appears and when shoulਦ it be pronounced as ਸਾਂਈਂ ? i guess this depends purely on the meaning and has nothing to do with grammar right?

- ਜਿਨਾ, ਤਿਨਾ, ਸਗਲਾ - should these words ever be pronounced with nasalisation on the kanna and if so when?

- ਸੰਤਾਂ - this is the first time i've actually 'woken-up' amd noticed this word with nasalisation on the kanna when it is in plural form i.e. with kanna at the end. when it appears as ਸੰਤਾ should i always pronounce it with nasalisation or not - how do i make the decision.

veer kulbir singh, i think you have covered pluralisation already - i saved your post on my computer but can't find it now. will try to search for it.

ps - quick un-related questions:

- ਤ , ਤਾ - i currently pronounce the first as a quick ਤਾ and the second as ਤਾਂ. is this correct?

- ਜਿਨੀ - i always nasalise the biharee - is this right?

- ਨ , ਨਾ - i currently pronounce the first as a quick ਨਾ and the second as ਨਾ. is this correct?

dhanvaad.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖ਼ਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹਿ

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Re: ਹੁਕਮਨਾਮਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ - hukamnama sahib : 15/7/08
Posted by: gsingh (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2008 07:47AM

- ਸਾਈ - when should this word be pronounced as it appears and when should it be pronounced as ਸਾਂਈਂ ? i guess this depends purely on the meaning and has nothing to do with grammar right?

where saee means malak, it should be nasalized, where it means 'that', as in jap jee sahib; 'jo tudh bhavai, saee bhalee kaar', it should not be nasalized.

Date: July 18, 2008 06:39AM

ਵੀਰ ਕੁਲਬੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀੳ,

ਇਥੈ ਬੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੋ! (not sure if i spelt ਇਥੈ correctly - lol)

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2008 12:58PM

--------
- ਸਾਈ - when should this word be pronounced as it appears and when shoulਦ it be pronounced as ਸਾਂਈਂ ? i guess this depends purely on the meaning and has nothing to do with grammar right?
---------

Veer Gsingh has already, correctly covered this.

---------
- ਜਿਨਾ, ਤਿਨਾ, ਸਗਲਾ - should these words ever be pronounced with nasalisation on the kanna and if so when?
--------

It depends on the prakaran, how if these are pronounced with a nasal sound or not but ਸਗਲਾ surely is not nasal sound. Here is an example from simple Punjabi language where these words are not nasal:

ਜਿਨਾ ਉਸ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਖੁਸ਼ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ, ਤਿਨਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੀਤਾ।

But in the shabad you quoted above, the nasal sound is a must for jina and tina.

--------
- ਸੰਤਾਂ - this is the first time i've actually 'woken-up' amd noticed this word with nasalisation on the kanna when it is in plural form i.e. with kanna at the end. when it appears as ਸੰਤਾ should i always pronounce it with nasalisation or not - how do i make the decision.
----------

Here is the sound on kanna of ਸੰਤਾਂ is nasal because firstly it is plural and secondly it has ਸੰਗਿ after it.

------
- ਤ , ਤਾ - i currently pronounce the first as a quick ਤਾ and the second as ਤਾਂ. is this correct?
---------

Seems correct.

-----
- ਜਿਨੀ - i always nasalise the biharee - is this right?
-----

Where ever this word is a pronoun for plural nouns, it has a nasal sound.

-----
- ਨ , ਨਾ - i currently pronounce the first as a quick ਨਾ and the second as ਨਾ. is this correct?
--------

Seems correct.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Date: July 19, 2008 03:30AM

ਵੀਰ ਕੁਲਬੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀੳ,

what does 'prakaran' mean - does it mean 'grammatical context'?

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Date: July 19, 2008 03:57AM

--------
----------

Here is the sound on kanna of ਸੰਤਾਂ is nasal because firstly it is plural and secondly it has ਸੰਗਿ after it.

veer jee,

so just because it is plural doesn't mean we add nasalisation to the kanna, right? you are saying the second condition must ALSO be met before we do this, right?

dhanvaad.

ਦਾਸ,
ਆਤਮਾ ਸਿੰਘ

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2008 08:29AM

Quote:
so just because it is plural doesn't mean we add nasalisation to the kanna, right? you are saying the second condition must ALSO be met before we do this, right?

Please refer to the post that I wrote about uchaaran such words that end with a kanna:

[www.tapoban.org]

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib