Samman and Moosan
Posted by: singh05 (IP Logged)
Date: August 05, 2008 06:31PM

does anyone know the sakhi about Samman and Moosan

Re: Samman and Moosan
Posted by: bsingh (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2008 12:18PM

Singh05,

Moosan and Samman were Father & SOn. I think Samman was the son, though I get a little confused with their names.

Without listening to the story again, I think it was during the time of G. Arjan Dev Ji, the Guru stopped in a village. The sangat had gathered and was asked who wants to volunteer to make the langar. Moosan & Samman out of their love for the Guru got up, even though financially it was not within their means.

With the clock ticking for the next day, Moosan & Samman decided upon to loot the house of a nearby Showkar (well off individual) at night. They entered through the roof and having got all the food they needed, on the way out they realised that they had forgotten the salt. Samman the son went back to get the salt but the house keeper woke up and grabbed Samman by the legs as he was trying to get out. Moosan the father tried to pull his son out but to no avail. In the mean time dawn began to break and the son said to the father if we are recognised, it will mean beztee for the Guru. People will say the Guru's deciples are a bunch of thieves. With dawn breaking the matter was getting urgent and the son said to father, chop my head off and take it with you before dawn breaks. Which is what the father did.

After this, it is said that house keeper on seeing that he had a head-less body, suddenly became worried that people may accuse him of being a koonee and sought help to be rid of the body. It is not clear how, but the father appears to have gone back and retrieved the body from the house keeper perhaps through claims to help him be rid of it.

The father Moosan brought the body back and put it to bed with only the head part showing. As the langar was made and being served the next day, the Guru enquired where is Samman. Moosan replied that he is not well and is sleeping. Later again the Guru asked and on the third occassion the Guru uttered the words Samman wake up and help serve langar as the Sangat is arriving. Samman walked out of the room, body and head complete. Father and son looked at each other, said nothing, turned and walked over to the Guru and matha teked.

If you take one step towards the Guru, He will take ten steps towards you. No father would kill his own son. But for the love of the Guru, without a moments thought, Moosan sacrifised his son. Naturally, such love and sacrificet is always rewarded by the Guru.

Fateh

Posted by: Harjinder Singh - Walsall (IP Logged)
Date: August 09, 2008 07:07AM

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh

Sri Guru Arjan Dev Jee has also included a Shabad in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee about Musan & Saman, it is called Chaubole and can be found on 1363 Ang. Maharaj narrates conversations between 4 Gursikhs in the Shabad, they are Musan, Samman, Patang & Jamaal. To listen to the full Sakhi & Viakhia of the Chaubole I suggest Gursikhs listen to Sant Gurbachan Singh Jee's audio of this Ang which can be found on www.damdamitaksal.net.

Harjinder

Posted by: Navjot Kaur (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2008 09:06AM

bsingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
They
> entered through the roof and having got all the
> food they needed, on the way out they realised
> that they had forgotten the salt. Samman the son
> went back to get the salt but the house keeper
> woke up and grabbed Samman by the legs as he was
> trying to get out. Moosan the father tried to pull
> his son out but to no avail. In the mean time dawn
> began to break and the son said to the father if
> we are recognised, it will mean beztee for the
> Guru. People will say the Guru's deciples are a
> bunch of thieves. With dawn breaking the matter
> was getting urgent and the son said to father,
> chop my head off and take it with you before dawn
> breaks. Which is what the father did.

veerji, when they could enter through the roof, how could they not come out?
did the hole shrink?

Date: August 18, 2008 11:49AM

Listen to the katha:

[www.damdamitaksaal.org]

Posted by: Navjot Kaur (IP Logged)
Date: August 23, 2008 02:05PM

Veerji, I do not deny that Baba Gurbachan Singh ji was a very learned Gursikh but this jus does not make sense at all that one becomes "fat" with happiness...or the way Babaji say that "khushi naal ful gya."

Date: August 24, 2008 11:10AM

Bhen Jee,

The point you need to take away is that he got stuck, Baba Gurbachan Singh does mention that there are different versions to the sakhee. The point is simple he got stuck or the householders awoke and started pulling on his legs so he couldn't get away and he gets his head chopped off. Now the point of the story is about Sharda (love) for Guru Jee and how it is repaid by Guru Sahib. There are countless lines of Gurbani that state Guru Jee can bring back his Sikhs from the dead.

Just take the moral of the story and learn from it.

Harjinder

Posted by: bsingh (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2008 01:51PM

Navjot Kaur,

Phenjee, Its not like I was there at the time. But in answer to your question, I believe I said that the housekeeper got hold of him. Either way as has already been said, the point is that for the love of the Guru, the father cut his son's head off.

Guru Dayal

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib