ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

kirpan
Posted by: gurmantar (IP Logged)
Date: August 18, 2008 03:15PM

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh!
i have a little 10 year old brother who always wishes to wear a kirpan. This thirst was brought back to him at a programme when an older sengh came to him hugging him and asking 'where is you kirpan" as soon as my little brother got home he was asking for the little kirpan that he has been told is his but not to wear it yet, for a number of reasons. Firstly; he has not taken choula from 5 pyaareah as my parents are not amritdhari, He does a little bit of paath here and there japji sahib sometimes and then comes and joins during rehraas sahib. So i have told him that until he starts doing paath more or is getting ready to take amrit not to wear it. What is the sangat's opinion on this, should someone be allowed to wear a kakkar if they thirst for it even though they have not got the reht yet to back it up? should he just wait?
thanks

Re: kirpan
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2008 07:48AM

I think he should be allowed to wear Kirpan and all other kakaars. It is good for the seeker to first practice wearing kakaars and get the feel of them, before chhakking amrit. There is nothing wrong in him wearing kakaars as long as he does not indulge in any of the four bajjar kurehits.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Tarun Singh (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2008 04:39AM

bhai sahib- you mention its ok to wear kakkars as long as you stay away from the 4 bajjar kurehits but i have seen bhai jeevan singh ji give a karra to a muslim who was staying at fremont gurdwara sahib and doing a lot of seva - would it be ok for the muslim to wear the karra as it is not against his religion to do things like eat meat?

Date: August 21, 2008 07:40AM

Tarun Singh jeeo,

Bhai Sahib must have seen something we don't know. Bhai Sahib must have seen an adhikaari for the kara. What I wrote was that generally speaking, one who does any of the bajjar kurehits should not be advised to wear the kakaars of Khalsa.

As for the Muslim guy to wear the Kara, if he wears it himself, and not given by us, then we are no one to stop them. Kara is worn by many Hindus too now a days. It's become a fashion now. Who all are we going to stop. My comment really was geared towards a seeker who wants to chhak amrit.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Tarun Singh (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2008 06:18PM

Bhai Sahib-

The reason why I ask is if you look at so many Indian TV shows/Movies so many of the actors are wearing karras and sometimes it feels as if this is done on purpose to confuse the public of what the image of a Sikh is- yet at the same time I have heard others say that they have given co-workers karras as gifts because their coworker showed a real interest in learning about Sikhi.

Since we can't forcibly stop someone from wearing a karra- how do we deal with what may be yet another attack on the Sikh identity?

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni.

Date: August 22, 2008 07:16AM

Veer Tarun Singh jeeo,

I don't think it is a deliberate attack on the Sikh identity but I agree that it does do beadbi of one of our kakaars. I think the best way to approach is to educate the non-Sikhs who wear kara as a fashion statement. I think if they wear gold or steel kara it shouldn't be a problem since kakaar is only Sarbloh Kara.

I will be very honest in this respect. I have not done too much thinking on this issue. This is why my response above is so dhilla.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib