View Post Listing    |    Search    

‘Zail Singh had no hand in building Bhindranwale’
Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2008 04:00PM

‘Zail Singh had no hand in building Bhindranwale’
Varinder Walia
Tribune News Service

Chowk Mehta, September 1
Was Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale a creation of Giani Zail Singh, former President of India, to weaken the Shiromani Akali Dal after Emergency, as many Indians, especially Sikhs, believed ?

Addressing a function of the Damdami Taksal, at one time headed by Bhindranwale, Tarlochan Singh, a Rajya Sabha member and former secretary to late President of India, said Giani Zail Singh and Bhindranwale had never met, except briefly at a public function in New Delhi.

He said much had been written about the former President bringing Bhindranwale on the centre-stage of Sikh politics. This was the first-ever visit of Tarlochan Singh to the Damdami Taksal where he was honoured by Baba Harnam Singh Khalsa, Taksal chief.

For the first time Tarlochan disclosed that after the death of Jathedar Santokh Singh of Delhi and “great friend” of Bhindranwale and confidant of Indira Gandhi on December 21, 1981, Giani Zail Singh and Bhindranwale shared the stage to mourn the death. But they did not exchange even a word in his (Tarlochan’s) presence though both were sitting in the front row at the bhog ceremony of Jathedar Santokh Singh. “On way back, Gianiji told me he had seen Bhindranwale for the first time”. Tarlochan told Gianiji that it was believed he (Giani) had built him in politics, so how come he had not seen him earlier ? On this, Gianiji told him it was all a canard spread by Darbara Singh, then Chief Minister of Punjab, to malign him in the eyes of the Congress high command.

The Rajya Sabha member said Giani Zail Singh desired that Bhindranwale should confine himself to religious and social spheres. However, Gianiji told Tarlochan that Bhindranwale had a large following among Sikhs and his influence could be utilised to embarrass the Akalis. He, however, said during the SGPC general elections in late ’70s, the Congress decided to embarrass the Akali-Janta government by entering the election arena by proxy. Sanjay Gandhi was advised by his advisers, especially by Vishavjit Singh, to take advantage of Bhindranwale’s rift with the Akalis. A meeting was called and services of Gurbir Singh, son of late Justice Gurnam Singh, Chief Minister, were commissioned. They had meetings with Bhai Amrik Singh, then AISSF chief and confidant of Bhindranwale, and promised him full support. Sanjay Gandhi instructed all Congress leaders, especially Giani Zail Singh, Darbara Singh and Dr Gurdial Singh Dhillon, to help the Bhindranwale group. Despite all this, the Akalis won the SGPC elections, while only six candidates put up by Bhindranwale could be elected to the Shiromani Committee.

Re: ‘Zail Singh had no hand in building Bhindranwale’
Posted by: Arwinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 01, 2008 05:05PM

We must discard passion and emotional outbursts to analyze this Genocide imposed upon Sikhs. I dont want to convince anyone. Neither i want to make a following and become some sort of political or religious leader. Its my anaylsis and if it can help in any way to any of you it will serve its purpose.

History is the best teacher so lets take a step back and analyze. Why Indian subcontinent was a sitting duck for foreign invaders till your forefathers built Fort Jamrud and closed that gate? The Aryan thought complex built over RigVed is not one philosphy. Whether Brahminism took over Vedic legacy or they wrote it themselves is a separate question which i will not touch here. I personally hold this view that Aryan and Brahminism is not same. Brahimisn has its origin in Southern India where as Aryan or i should say Vedic legacy belongs to Punjab. The very internal divisions within the country which at this point in history we call India are so great that if this country is left to normal democratic and peacefull processes it will break up or dethrone Brahminism from its throne.

If normal majoritarian electoral process is followed in a Unitary Legasilative Supremacist constitutional framework Can Brahminism which is 5% of Indian Population control and hold India's reigns? Its simply not possible. After Banda Bahadur destroyed Sirhind and empowered the people by making them owners of land the rise of Mayawati in Cow Belt is the most astonishing thing happening in Social Empowerment. How Vishnugupat Chankaya should stop the lowest of low to gain power? By destroying normal electoral process.

To understand this mess. You have to divide the scenarion. First understand how Vishnugupat got over the throne of India? Then What it should do to keep control of it.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib