View Post Listing    |    Search    

Preach religion in SGPC-run schools, colleges : Badal
Posted by: News (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2008 03:19PM

Preach religion in SGPC-run schools, colleges : Badal
Gurdeep Singh Mann
Tribune News Service

Fatehgarh Sahib, September 6
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today stressed upon the need of preaching religion in various schools and colleges being run by the SGPC.

Underscoring the need of disseminating message and philosophy of Sri Guru Granth Sahib across the globe, he said it would foster a sense of harmony, oneness, peace and compassion amongst mankind, especially among children.

Badal was presiding over a national seminar on “Sri Guru Granth Sahib: Panacea for all ills of Modern Age” organised by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC) at Giani Dit Singh Auditorium in Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College.

He also asked the SGPC to hold such seminars in the open so that a large number of people, especially youth, could be benefited from the philosophy of Guru Granth Sahib.

He added that all were fortunate enough to commemorate nine anniversaries related to the Sikh history in one’s lifetime and now tercentenary of Gurta Gaddi Diwas of Sri Guru Granth Sahib and the 300th death anniversary of Sri Guru Gobind Singh would be observed this year.

A sum of Rs 200 crore will be spent on the overall development of holy cities of Sri Anandpur Sahib and Talwandi Sabo as a part of Gurta Gaddi Diwas celebrations.

He said a prestigious project like the Guru Gobind Singh Marg linking Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib, Sri Anandpur Sahib to Takht Sri Sach Khand Hazoor Sahib, Nanded, via Takht Sri Damdama Sahib, Talwandi Sabo, was in its final stage and a nod was awaited from the Centre.

Earlier, Badal inaugurated houses for teachers at the college and laid the foundation stone of the library block in the college.

SGPC president Avtar Singh said today's national seminar was a part of ongoing programmes and activities of the SGPC for the commemoration of Gurta Gaddi Diwas. Another such seminar had been planned for Talwandi Sabo on October 10, where 526 students from the SGPC educational institutions would be given scholarships for academic excellence and a provision of Rs 30 lakh had already been made in the budget of the SGPC.

Prominent amongst others who were present on the occasion included MLA, Sirhind, Didar Singh Bhatti, Akali leader Surjit Singh Rakhra, SGPC secretary Dalmegh Singh, SGPC education director Gurmohan Singh Walia, BBSB Engineering College principal Manjit Singh Grewal, seminar sub-committee director Balwant Singh, Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib Giani Gurbachan Singh and Punjabi University vice-chancellor Jaspal Singh.

Re: Preach religion in SGPC-run schools, colleges : Badal
Posted by: xzik101 (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2008 04:19PM

I think that until Badal and his Akali Dal have influance over the affairs of the SGPC, the SGPC cannot function properly as it is suppose to. SGPC should not have any politcal interferance from Akali Dal. It should be completely independent of the Akali Dal in everyway. But I think that the way the Badals have turned this once great Sikh party like Akali Dal into a secular Punjabi party, the time is not far when even the SGPC will become a secular institution rather than a Sikh institution.

Bitter Truth
Posted by: ramansingh (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2008 07:19PM

I was a Lecturer in Trai Shatabadi Guru Gobind Singh Khalsa college Amritsar. The college was run by SGPC. I still remember our second term selection. As College was new, we all were on contract.. for second term they made a rule of selecting staff via a certian criteria.

-All teachers need to be Keshadhari ( no beard trimmers or kesh katal people allowed).

-Should know atleast few basics of Sikhi ... like name of ten gurus,4 shabazadey , 5 kakkars etc

I still remember my colleagues growing their beard for interview but of no use as they were trimming it from months..

Bibi Kiranjot kaur and Dr gurbachan singh bachan (then SGPC heneral secreatory) came for interview.

All (trimmed beard ) staff members were selected as they had recommendations from Akali Dal Bosses. They were given a small warninng to grow their beards as they will recheck ater 3 months but those three months never came..

All in all what I am trying to say is Badal sahib or SGPC can make "n" number of rules but people with in there party are gonna break it.

Another example is marriage .. ANand Karaj cannot happen in marriage halls but I have seen in Amritsar sahib .. SGPC members breaking this rule by marrying their kiths and kins in Marriage palaces and then having Daru and Non-veg parties.

SGPC needs to work at grass root level and away from the clutches of Badal's.

Gurfathe!

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib