ਜਾਕਉਹਰਿਰੰਗੁਲਾਗੋਇਸੁਜੁਗਮਹਿਸੋਕਹੀਅਤਹੈਸੂਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Correcting mistakes in Gurbani
Posted by: Outwardly (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2008 05:26PM

What is the maryada for making spelling corrections of Gurbani in Gutkay or books with Gurbani in them?

How should one go about this?

What if there is a spelling/grammatical mistake arising from printing/human errors in Pothiyaa/Senchiyaa or even in Maharaj di BiR?

Je daas di boli ch galti hogey, Guru Sahib Maaf Karan

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa,
Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!

Re: Correcting mistakes in Gurbani
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2008 06:44PM

how will you know that these are spelling mistakes in the first place?

Posted by: xzik101 (IP Logged)
Date: September 11, 2008 07:23PM

I think he's talking about typos. Mistakes made by the publisher.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 12, 2008 07:54AM

I too have been thinking of this topic for a while. If there is an obvious mistake like nanna of a word like Naam is blurry, there is nothing wrong in fixing it but if the problem is a spelling mistake, then there should be a protocol that should be following before making the change. Let's look at one of the most obvious mistake. Please ponder upon the following pankiti that everyone recites before taking Hukamnama Sahib:

ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥
ਦਰਸਨਿ ਪਰਸਿਐ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੈ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਾਇ ॥10॥

In most old hand written saroops the paath is:

ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਕਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥

The difference is in the name of the Bhatt. Printed saroops show ਟਲ but handwritten saroops, of which I have pictures, have paath ਕਲ and it makes sense too to have ਕਲ instead of ਟਲ . There is no Bhatt by the name of ਟਲ . If there had been a change in the name of Bhatt, the numbering in the end would have changed but as you can see the numbering continues to assume that the Bhatt is Kal and not Tal and it shows that Bhatt Kal has 10 pauris and not 9.

In case like the above, I personally always do paath using the correct name of the Bhatt i.e. Kal but I have not made the change in the saroop because there should be a protocol that we should employ before making the change in the Saroop of Maharaj jee. There are several other such examples where there are mistakes in the printed saroops. Talwara jee clamoured all his life to fix spelling mistakes in printed saroops but no one listened to him. God knows when SGPC will wake up to fix the spelling mistakes in printed saroops.

Kulbir Singh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2008 11:05AM by admin.

Posted by: ramansingh (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2008 10:49PM

Kulbir Veerji,

I am surprised to see your post,I still remember that day (few years back). I was reciting this and i pronounced it as ਕਲ and someone immedaitely coorected me that it is a name of a "Bhatt", its ਟਲ ...

but again I have a saroop printed by chattar singh jivan singh, it has lot of printing errors.Are we allowed to correct it?

Gurfathe!

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: September 22, 2008 06:52AM

Quote:
I am surprised to see your post,I still remember that day (few years back). I was reciting this and i pronounced it as ਕਲ and someone immedaitely coorected me that it is a name of a "Bhatt", its ਟਲ ...

Ramansingh jeeo, as I mentioned in my previous post, all printed saroops contain ਟਲ but the correct paath as per old handwritten saroops is ਕਲ . There is no Bhatt by the name of ਟਲ since this is evident if you follow the numbering system of Bhatt Baani.

Kulbir Singh

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib