ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

What shabad should a gursikh recite before eating
Posted by: jagr00psingh (IP Logged)
Date: September 02, 2009 08:14AM

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaaheguru Jee Ki Fateh.

I just wanted to know What shabad should a gursikh recite before eating ?

Re: What shabad should a gursikh recite before eating
Posted by: ਸਿੰਘ (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2009 05:01AM

From my knowledge I don’t think there is one specific shabad that should be recited before eating.
The essence is to remember Akaal Purkh before, while and after eating.

Gurbanee refers to contemplating Naam in relation to food.

ਨਾਨਕਜਿਨਾਮੁਨਚੇਤਨੀਤਿਨਧਿਗੁਪੈਨਣੁਧਿਗੁਖਾਣੁ ॥੧॥

O Nanak, those who do not contemplate the Naam, cursed are their clothes, and cursed is their food. ||1||

Naam is not just to be uttered before eating but more importantly while making the food.

From reading some old accounts they also refer to repeating Gurmantar before taking food so I think this is what should be done at least before eating.

However I know a lot of Gursikhs that say a shabad or at least do Mool Mantar before they eat. The shabad said by Gursikhs vary a lot so there is no one specific shabad. Although I think something in the context of thanking Akaal Purukh would seem appropriate.

I know some Sant say the following ਕਾਮਕ੍ਰੋਧਅਰੁਲੋਭਮੋਹਬਿਨਸਿਜਾਇਅਹੰਮੇਵ ॥ This is interesting as this specific request is made before eating which to me indicates that those particular forces have a link in food.

I personally before eating need to have a connection with food through Naam. I would hold my Baataa and do some simran. The energy needs to connect.

I also know some Gursikhs that do Kirpan Bhet before they eat and this is mentioned in old rehatnamas.

Posted by: Abhiyaasee (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2009 10:15AM

Singh Veerjee, PLease tell something more about these Sants or ask them exactly why they do this and what they actually do really.

Posted by: Matheen (IP Logged)
Date: September 06, 2009 11:32AM

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

The main thing is that you do ardas before eating. Give thanks for the food and ask Guru Ji to eat first and bless the food.

Posted by: Jarnail Singh "Arshi" Gyani (IP Logged)
Date: September 15, 2009 07:56AM

The power of Naam/Gurbani is often misunderstood and thus neglected.
Its not only in the Gurdwara Sahib, preparation of karah Parshad/Guur Ka Langgar that Gurbani/Naam is to be used...even in our own homes we are to use the naam/Gurbani while preparing food. From the time food vegetables daal etc is washed, cut, etc and then cooked..Naam/Gurbani should be recited. Once you have tasted such food..you will really notice the difference. The "additional Taste" is that of the Naam/Gurbani recited.
We often make the mistake that Gurbani is only recited during Khandey batte dee pahul/Naming sanskaar etc and is not essential for our own private food. That is huge mistake and makes our food below par.
I have sometimes tasted food that i can know instantly was prepared without the recitation of Naam..its so blanche..like water has been added.
Any Shaabd that one has Kaanth..remembers or even Waheguru is enough. The power coems from the LOVE we put into the recitation..not mechanical repetetion.After all its a Fact that HE gave us the food...its not ours by any measure..so why not take the time to THANK HIM fir Hsi Blessings He bestows without asking.

jrnYl isMG igAwnI "ArSI"

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib