Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

PhD Research into British Sikhs (18-30)
Posted by: jasjit (IP Logged)
Date: November 20, 2009 03:47PM

Dear Cyber-Sangat

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

My name is Jasjit Singh, a PhD Researcher from the University of Leeds studying the Transmission of Sikhism among young British Sikhs. My research is investigating:

What understanding British Sikhs in the age range 18-30 have of Sikhism.
What drives young British Sikhs to organise and attend Sikhism related events.
What sources of authority young British Sikhs draw on.
How young British Sikh acquire their knowledge of Sikh tradition, belief and practice.

The research will seek to understand how young British Sikhs (18-30) are learning about Sikhism and will focus on the role of Gurdwaras, Camps/Youth Events and the Internet.

As part of this research I have put together an online survey. I would really appreciate it if those of you who qualify could fill this survey in:

[www.survey.leeds.ac.uk]

Many Thanks. Any questions please get in touch.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Jasjit.

PS ADMIN - COULD THIS POST PLEASE BE MADE INTO A STICKY. THANKS A LOT.
PPS Further details are on my website [www.personal.leeds.ac.uk]

Admin Note: As per request, this will be a sticky for 1 week.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 07:16AM by admin.

Re: PhD Research into British Sikhs (18-30)
Posted by: bluearrow (IP Logged)
Date: November 25, 2009 11:37AM

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh

Jasjit veerji, how many people do you need to fill out your questionnaire? I don't think the internet is the best way to go about it due to the questionnaire's length. Approaching people in person will probably yield better uptake results.

I see that you have conducted a previous study into 'young British Sikhs, hair and the turban'. Can you please share what your findings were with the sangat and how we can go about encouraging/engaging more youngsters to maintain these rehats?

Re: PhD Research into British Sikhs (18-30)
Posted by: jasjit (IP Logged)
Date: December 16, 2009 05:09AM

Gur Fateh veerji - I need as many people as possible to fill in my questionnaire - so far over 350 which is pretty good, but am currently low on Dastaar wearing Bhenjis - so if anyone knows any British 18-30 yr old Dastaar wearing Bhenjis - please pass the survey details on.

My MA thesis on young British Sikhs, hair and the turban should hopefully be published pretty soon - basically I think it's too simplistic to say that young people aren't wearing the Dastaar any more - the difference between young people now and previous generations is that these days most young people who maintain the Dastaar have a personal reason for doing so, whereas previously it may have been more of a habitual practice - so in my opinion, encouraging people to maintain the Dastaar is now more explaining what the Dastaar brings to individuals on a personal level as well as the Rehat aspects aswell.

Anyway, please pass on the survey details to anyone you know who qualifies:

[www.survey.leeds.ac.uk]

Many Thanks.

Gur Rakha,

Jasjit.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib