ਰਹਿਣੀਰਹੈਸੋਈਸਿਖਮੇਰਾ॥ ਓੁਹਸਾਹਿਬਮੈਉਸਕਾਚੇਰਾ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

ਸੂਰਾਸੋਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐਜੁਲਰੈਦੀਨਕੇਹੇਤ ॥ ਪੁਰਜਾਪੁਰਜਾਕਟਿਮਰੈਕਬਹੂਨਛਾਡੈਖੇਤੁ ॥ - Puraatan Shiromanee Khalsa Panth Shaheeds
Posted by: admin (IP Logged)
Date: February 03, 2010 04:04PM

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4562/death1.gif

We will be posting all the Puraatan Shaheedee accounts written by admin under this new thread. These posts will not be in any order of importance or time line, we can not distinguish or class any Shaheedee. These Shaheed Khalsa have their names engraved in our Sikh History and will remain engraved till the end of time. We remember and will continue to remember these Shaheeds in our Ardas daily.

Below is the first of these posts, I have edited it from the orginal to include quotes from Pracheen Panth Prakash. This like the rest of the Shaheedee posts exemplifies the effect made by a True Shaheed Khalsa, shaking the pillar's of great empires and dictating the future course of history.

The following is the most puraatan account of the Shaheedee of Bhai Bota Singh and Bhai Garja Singh in the year 1739. Their act to impose a tax amounted to the establishment by an individual of a State, bringing to life the meaning of Raaj Karega Khalsa.

Uncut: The Real Story of Shaheed Bhai Bota Singh
Taken from Pracheen Panth Parkaash by Rattan Singh Bhangoo
Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1466/bhaibotasingh.jpg

All Singhs Dead ?

It had been four months and no Singh had been seen in the Punjab. Many Singhs had been martyred before this time and people began to say that all the Singhs have been killed. They would say, "The Mughals have defeated the Sikhs. They totally eliminated them. The Singhs no longer attack the Mughals nor do they battle. Four months have passed and there has been no word from the Khalsa. It seems the Khalsa has been totally killed off."

Bhai Bota Singh

Bhai Bota Singh was from the Taran Taaran area and had been separated from the main Jatha of Singhs. Bhai Bota Singh was an unmarried Singh who was very strict in his rehit. He was a sevak of SatGuru and in his heart he was a true warrior with absolutely no fear. He was true to every word that he spoke.

ਜਤੀ ਸਤੀ ਥੋ ਪ੍ਰਣ ਕੋ ਪੂਰੋ I ਗੁਰ ਕੋ ਸੇਵਕ ਦਿਲ ਕੋ ਸੂਰੋ I

It was amrit vela and Bhai Bota Singh had left his hiding place in the jungle and was quietly walking out. The day had not dawned yet and two travellers on the road saw this solitary Singh. They wondered aloud if this was truly a Singh. They were stunned to see a Singh after such a long time and began to converse, "How did this Singh remain alive? How did he survive this long? No, he must be a fake. No Singhs can be found anywhere now, since the Mughals destroyed them."

The second traveller replied, "It must be some coward, who is weak and afraid. The Singhs were a very proud people and didn't go about in hiding. The Khalsa used to fight with the Mughals everyday. The Khalsa was never afraid of death. How could this man be a real Khalsa if he has been hiding for so long, in the fear of being killed? The real Khalsa used to cause havoc and chaos for the enemy and would sacrifice his head for the sake of others. This can be no Khalsa."

ਖਾਲਸੋ ਸੋਊ ਜੁ ਨਿਤ ਜੰਗ ਕਰੈ I ਖਾਲਸੋ ਸੋਊ ਨ ਮਰਨ ਤੇ ਡਰੈ I
ਖਾਲਸੋ ਸੋਊ ਜੁ ਦੰਗਾ ਮਚਾਵੈ I ਖਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਊ ਜੋ ਸੀਸ ਲਗਾਵੈਂ I ੭ I

Sacrifice to Awaken the Panth

Bhai Bota Singh heard these words and stopped in his tracks. His feet were planted firmly in the ground. He had heard this entire conversation with close attention. Their words were like the bite of a snake for him. Hearing these words, Bhai Bota Singh reached a firm conclusion: "There is no option now, but for me to sacrifice my head. If I sacrifice my head the people will again say "Indeed! The Singhs live!" and news of my battle will travel across the Punjab.

ਸੀਸ ਲਗਾਏ ਚਰਚਾ ਹੋਇ I ਜਗ ਯੌ ਜਾਨੈ ਖਾਲਸੋ ਸੋਇ I ੯ I

The world will know that the Khalsa lives and the Khalsa too will be inspired to re-start its battle against the enemy. I will fight my battle on the main road. When I give my head, the Mughals will be disgraced for having attacked a lone Singh with such cowardice and the talk of the Khalsa will start and the Khalsa will rise again! The Khalsa lays its claim to the rule of this land and we will seize this land back from the enemy."

Setting up of a Checkpoint

Near Taran Taaran there is a place called Noordeen Dee Saraa(n). Many travellers, businessmen and merchants used to come to this place and on the way there was a major intersection which all had to pass through. Bhai Bota Singh went to this intersection and planted some logs in the ground and made a checkpoint. He announced that no traveller could pass through this place without first paying him the Khalsa's Royal Tax.

Another Singh name Bhai Mota Singh (known in other places as Bhai Garja Singh) also joined by Bota Singh. The Singhs, who had not been seen for months now, made their checkpoint and began to create a commotion by yelling at travellers, "OI!!! STOP!! You have to pay the Khalsa's tax!" Everyone was shocked to see Singhs standing out in the open after such a long time. The travellers would rudely reply that they paid their taxes only to the government and who were they (the Singhs) to take money from them? After all, the Singhs were now a powerless bunch with no authority over them The Singhs would hear these words and to punish their insolence, would begin to beat the travellers with their massive sticks. "Now tell us! Will you pay or not?" The travellers would be forced to pay the tax. Chaos erupted all around the main road and news began to spread about these two Khalsas.

The Letter

The Singhs too made extra efforts to cause a commotion so that news of their tax-collection would reach the Mughal government. But quite some time passed and no Mughal army came. Many people came and paid their taxes and some even came to make requests like they would to a genuine ruler. When no reply came from the government, the Singhs decided to write a letter to the Governor, which would cause him to burn with fury.

Bhai Bota Singh was from the same village as Navaab Kapoor Singh jee and in this village, the Governor's older sister Khaano was married. She was married to one Farzulla Khan who intensely hated the Khalsa. What better way to irk the Governor than to mention the name of his sister? In an insult to the governor, Bhai Bota Singh decided to call Khaano "Bhabee" i.e. sister in law since she was married into his village. Bhai Bota Singh wrote to the Governor, "I have a big stick in my hand and stand on the road to Noordeen Dee Saraa(n). I charge one paisa for a donkey and 4 paisas (one anna) for a cart. Tell Bhabee Khaano, Bota Singh says this."

ਚਿਠੀ ਲਿਖੈ ਯੋਂ ਸਿੰਘ ਬੋਤਾ I ਹਥ ਹੈ ਸੋਟਾ, ਵਿਚ ਰਾਹ ਖੜੋਤਾ I
ਆਨਾ ਲਾਯਾ ਗੱਡੇ ਨੂੰ ਪੈਸਾ ਲਾਯਾ ਖੋਤਾ I ਆਖ ਭਾਬੀ ਖਾਨੋਂ ਨੂੰ ਯੌ ਆਖੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਬੋਤਾ I

The Army Arrives

The mention of the Governor's sister of course infuriated him. He immediately dispatched the army. When the army arrived, one Singh was manning the checkpoint and the other was walking towards the jungle with a gaRvaa in his hand. Seeing the army approach, he turned back right away.

The Singhs yelled a loud Fateh to the army and challenged them. "OI! Come here! Where are you going? Make sure you pay the tax!"

ਦੇਖ ਫੋਜ ਮੁੜ ਆਯੋ ਸੋਇ I ਲਲਕਾਰੋ ਦੀਨ ਗੁਰ ਫਤੇ ਬੁਲੋਇ I

The Singhs had kirpaans in their gaatraas and big sticks in their hands.

ਇਮ ਦੋਊ ਸਿੰਘ ਭਏ ਤਿਆਰ I ਹੱਥ ਇਕ ਸੋਟਾ ਗਲ ਤਲਵਾਰ I ੧੭

The left their checkpoint and stood on the road now. The Commander of the army saw them and yelled back, "Singhs! Don't fight and die today. Come with us to Lahore. Bota Singh! Come with us and we'll arrange a meeting with the Governor for you. The Governor will spare your life and release you."

The Singhs replied, "When did we ever want to save our lives? We want to battle! You say you'll spare our lives, but we stand here prepared to die. We are anxious for death today. Stop with your talk, get off your horses and fight us so we can be martyred. You can use whatever weapons you want, we'll use our sticks only.

ਤੁਮ ਹੱਥਯਾਰ ਸੁ ਹਥ ਰਖੋ ਹਮ ਸੋਟੇ ਲਾਵੈਂ ਧਾਇ I ੨੦ I

Don’t worry, what harm can we do to you with our sticks? We just want to know how much courage you will show on the battlefield and how much courage we have to fight you."

The Commander again tried, "Why bother with all this Bota Singh? There is no need for any of this, just come with us. We'll have the Khan Bahadur speak with you in his court."

The Singhs replied, "There is no talk left between us and you. There is no compromise between us. We're not here to negotiate. We'll go to the court of Dharam Rai and say what we want there. We don't have any need for your court. The only relationship we can have now is of exchanging weapon blows. "

The Battle Begins

The Singhs were anxious for martyrdom and could wait no longer as the Commander thought of a reply. They called out, "If you will not make any attack, then we are coming to you. Don't say we didn’t tell you. Prepare yourselves!" And with this, the Singhs fell upon the Mughals like lions. They sprinted towards the army and began to swing their weapons.

The Mughals were mounted on horses and retreated away from the Singhs. Seeing the retreat, the Singhs began to throw rocks at the soldiers. The Mughals were anxious to save their lives and had taken their horses far away and were terrified to see how fearlessly the two Khalsa stood before them. The Mughals began to fire arrows and bullets from far away, but the Singhs would run towards them caring nothing for their own bodies.

ਦੌੜ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਤਬ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਚਲਾਏ I ਹਥ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਕੇ ਤੁਰਕ ਨ ਆਏ I
ਸੋਟੇ ਢੀਮ ਤਬ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਚਲਾਈ I ਤੁਰਕ ਸੁ ਘੋੜੇ ਗਏ ਹਿਲਾਈ I ੨੪ I
ਤੁਰਕ ਜਿੰਦ ਕੋ ਚਹੈਂ ਬਚਾਈ I ਸਿੰਘਨ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਜਿੰਦ ਨ ਕਾਈ I

Bhai Bota Singh and Bhai Mota Singh were suffering many injuries but not slowing down. As arrows and bullets hit their bodies, they became even more excited. They kept charging at the retreating Mughals. Sometimes they would make a small leap forward and sometimes make a giant leap.

The Mughals then decided to run the Singhs down with their horses. They made a charge towards them and as the horses threw the two Khalsa down, they would immediately rise again.

ਸਿੰਘ ਉਠੈਂ ਕਬ ਗਿਰ ਪੜੇਂ ਕਬ ਫਿਰ ਜਾਹਿਂ ਖਲੋਇ I
ਤੁਰਕਨ ਕੇ ਹਥ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਲਖ ਸਿੰਘ ਖਾਲੀ ਡਰੈਂ ਨ ਤੋਇ I ੨੮ I

Seeing that the Singhs were still not using any dangerous weapons, the Mughals grew more confident and their fear lessened. They were now eager to kill the Singhs.

As weapons struck their bodies, Bhai Mota Singh and Bhai Bota Singh showed no pain. Their bodies had become hardened because of their time in the jungles and their skin was as taut and strong as a shield. Only when a blow would fall upon a bone and break it would they feel some fatigue. When an arrow would pierce their bodies, the Singhs would pull it out and throw it aside with disgust. Making sure the Mughals could clearly see them, they would tear out the arrow and yell "Your arrows are useless! They cannot pierce our bodies!"

ਤੀਰ ਲਗੈ ਸਿੰਘ ਪੱਟ ਸਿਟਾਵੈਂ I ਤੁਰਕਨ ਕੋ ਸੋ ਅੱਖੀਂ ਦਿਖਾਵੈਂ I
ਸਿੰਘ ਕਹੈਂ ਧ੍ਰਿਗ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਤੀਰ I ਹਮਰੋ ਚੀਰ ਨ ਸਕੈਂ ਸਰੀਰ I ੩੧ I

The Mughals now drew their swords and attacked. The Singhs stopped the sword blows with their staffs and stood back to back to face the enemy.

ਦੋਊਅਨ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਲਈ ਪਿਠ ਜੋੜ I ਸੋਟਨ ਸੌਂ ਦਏ ਘੋਤੇ ਮੋੜ I ੩੨ I

As the enemy ran horses upon them, they would hit the horses with their massive sticks and turn them away. The Mughals were forced to abandon their horses and advance on foot. The enemy would try to block the staff blows with their shields but were growing tired from the force. The ornamental flowers and markings on their shields had all been smashed off. The Mughals were beginning to see that their attempts were futile.

The Mughals again retreated and this time drew their guns. They fired burst upon burst at the two warriors and wherever the bullets hit, they would smash a bone. The Mughals fired at the Singh's hands and broke the hands they held their staffs with. The Singhs then grabbed their staffs with their left hands. The Mughals managed to break the Singhs' hips with their bullets and made them lame. The bullets then broke the Singhs' legs and they fell to the ground.

ਤੌ ਤੁਰਕਨ ਬੰਦੂਕ ਸੰਭਾਰੀ I ਲਾਵੈਂ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਗੋਲੀ ਭਾਰੀ I ੩੪ I
ਜਹਾਂ ਲਗੈ ਹਡ ਦੇਵੈ ਤੋੜ I ਸੋਟੇ ਲਾਵੈਂ ਹਥ ਦੈਂ ਫੋੜ I
ਸਿੰਘਨ ਸੋਟੇ ਹਥ ਖੱਬੇ ਫੜੇ I ਮਾਰ ਬੰਦੂਕਨ ਲੰਗੜੇ ਕਰੇ I ੩੫ I

The Mughals now called out, "Now put your hands together and beg for forgiveness! Admit you have made a mistake! We will spare your lives and not kill you if you stand with your hands clasped together. You'll have to become Muslims, but we will spare you."

The Singhs heard these words and looked at each other. They grabbed a hold of the other's shoulder and rose. They now stood back to back on one leg. They again called out a challenge to the Mughals.

The Mughals were confused. There stood two utterly smashed bodies, standing on only one leg. What were they thinking? The Mughals again approached and their commander ordered them not to fire. "They only have one leg and one hand each. Tackle them to the ground and subdue them!"

As the Mughals came near, the Singhs forcefully began to swing their heavy staffs with their left hands and smashed the enemy's heads. Blood poured from the Mughal soldiers' noses and mouths. Streams of blood began to flow. They smashed many enemy soldiers' heads and again fell exhausted to the ground.

Glorious Shaheedee

The Mughals had run back in retreat once again. The two Khalsa were lying on the ground with no bone intact. And then the unimaginable happened. The Singhs propped themselves up and on their knees and elbows began to advance towards the enemy again. They glared at the Mughals and would not look away or blink. With their intense gaze they continued their approach. They had no hope for life any longer. Their faces were glowing red. The Mughals were terrified that these two beasts may stand again. The entire army fell upon them and cut their bodies into pieces.

ਟੂਕ ਟੂਕ ਸੋ ਤੁਰਕਨ ਕਰੇ I ਮਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਫੇਰ ਨ ਹੋਵੈਂ ਖਰੇ I
ਇਸ ਬਿਧ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਸ਼ਹੀਦੀ ਪਾਈ I ਧੰਨ ਮਾਤਾ ਧੰਨ ਪਿਤਾ ਉਸ ਭਾਈ I ੪੧ I

Blessed is their Mother, Blessed is their Father

The two Singhs were martyred and joined their brothers and sisters in SachKhand.

ਜਾਇ ਰਲੇ ਵੇ ਸ਼ਹੀਦਨ ਡੇਰੇ I

The news of the Khalsa's bravery again spread across the Punjab. The people began to remark that perhaps the Khalsa had not been finished after all. Who could finish warriors like this? The bravery of Bhai Bota Singh and Bhai Mota Singh shocked not only the people but also the Mughals. News spread to the Khalsa in hiding and they too were inspired to rise again. Bhai Bota Singh and his tax collection was a reminder that Punjab was the Khalsa's land. They would seize it back from the enemy. The Khalsa began to regroup again and prepare for battle.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 07:27PM by admin.

Re: ਸੂਰਾਸੋਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐਜੁਲਰੈਦੀਨਕੇਹੇਤ ॥ ਪੁਰਜਾਪੁਰਜਾਕਟਿਮਰੈਕਬਹੂਨਛਾਡੈਖੇਤੁ ॥ - Puraatan Sheeromanee Khalsa Panth Shaheeds
Date: February 04, 2010 02:48PM

Shaheedee of Sarblohee Jathedaar Baba Gurbaksh Singh Jee
Taken From Pracheen Panth Parkaash by Rattaan Singh Bhangoo

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3544/gurbaxsinghji.jpg

Introduction

Baba Gurbaksh Singh jee was a very well known and respected Singh, who had the honour of being martyred while defending Sree Darbaar Sahib.

Baba jee was of village Leel and had received amrit at Sree Amritsar Sahib, due to the inspiration of Bhai Manee Singh jee.

About Baba Jee

Baba Gurbaksh Singh was always dressed in blue baaNaa and kept a very strong rehit. He would awake at amrit vela and do ishnaan and while reciting baaNee, would tie his dumalla. Baba jee loved Sarbloh, he would offer his respect to his sarbloh shastars i.e. kirpans, chakars, toRaas (metal cable tied around dastaar), kaRas, etc and then put them on. He would finally put on a mala of sarbloh around his neck and also many sarbloh kaRas and simarnaas. Baba jee's dastaar also had many toRaas tied into it. He would also wear a sarbloh armour.

ਸਵਾ ਪਹਿਰ ਨਿਸ ਕਰੈ ਸ਼ਨਾਨ I ਬਾਣੀ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਖੜ ਪੱਗ ਬਧਾਨ I

ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ I ਨਮਸਕਾਰ ਕਰ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਫੜੈ I੩I

ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਗਲ ਮਾਲਾ ਪਾਵੈ I ਕੰਗਣ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਲੋਹ ਸੁਹਾਵੈ I

ਲੋਹ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਲੋਹ ਤੋੜੇ ਧਾਰੈ I ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕੀ ਰਖਯ ਉਚਾਰੈ I੪I

Other features Panth Parkash mentions about the way Baba jee looked was that he wore a very long 1.5 yard kacherra and always kept a long stick with him.

Every amrit vela then, after dressing himself in his baaNaa, Baba jee sat in the divaan at Sree Akaal Takhat Sahib. It did not matter who came to meet him, whether a powerful Sardar or a lowly peasant, he greeted all people in the same way and with the same respect. He had absolutely no worldly aspirations or greed.

Whenever there was a battle, Baba jee would always go and confront the enemy. He would take the Nishaan Sahib himself and advance. With the beat of the nagara, Baba jee used to be in the forefront to confront the enemy.

Abdali's Oppression and the Khalsa Scatters

The Khalsa had scattered when Ahmed Shah Abdali brought his army through the Punjab. Some Singhs went to the mountains where they were looted by the mountain-people; others went and hid around the rivers where they were not only looted but also attacked by lions and other animals. Those Singhs who decided to stay in Majha and not retreat were turned over to the Afghans by traitors and informers. In Malwa, the Singhs also fared no better and had to go from house to house like beggars.

At Sree Amritsar, the Sarbat Khalsa gathered one day and after the night divaan, decided to abandon Sree Amritsar and leave together for Malwa.

Baba Jee Offers His Shaheedee

Baba Gurbaksh Singh then rose and addressed the Singhs and said, "Is there any Singh in the Panth today, who would fight with the Afghans and sacrifice his head and then go to Dargah and with his sacrifice have Karta-Purakh listen to his request and ensure the Chardi Kala of the Panth? One who could do ardaas to Karta-Purakh and bring an end to these dark days? Is there any Singh who is so determined and is such a devotee of naam and one who is so strong in rehit? Is there anyone who will give his life for the rest of the Khalsa and with his sacrifice be able to wipe out the enemy?" [It is said that when the enemy kills a bhagat of Vahiguru, the bad karma of committing such an act results in the enemy also being wiped out. Baba jee was asking if there was such a bhagat in the Panth who could give such a sacrifice].

"ਹੈ ਕੋਉ ਸਿੰਘ ਇਸ ਪੰਥ ਮਝਾਰੀ I ਲਾਇ ਸੀਸ ਕਰੈ ਦਰਗਹਿ ਪੁਕਾਰ I ਸੋ ਪੁਕਾਰ ਉਸ ਮੰਨੈ ਕਰਤਾਰ I੨੩I
ਹਠੀਆ ਤਪੀਆ ਜਪੀਆ ਜੋਇ I ਰਹਤਵਾਨ ਸਚਿਆਰ ਭੀ ਹੋਇ I

The Singhs listened to Baba Gurbaksh Singh and replied, "Baba jee, is there any Singh better for this than you? There is no one with more kamaiee. No one else has the power to abandon their body and go to Dargah like you do. No one else's request will be more acceptable to Vahiguru than yours."

Baba jee listened to these words and then bowed his head and agreed to the request.

Baba jee then called out, "I want to be Shaheed! If there is any other Gurmukh who wishes to come with me to Dargah, then let them also come. When there is a marriage, the groom goes with his Sarbaalha (best man) and with a large baraat (marriage party). I am going to marry the bride of Death. Are there Singhs who would be my Sarbaalhas?"

Hearing Baba jee's call, many Singhs rose and stood with Baba jee. They said, "We were waiting for your call. With your permission we will be your Sarbaalhas."

Seeing these Singhs stand, many more Singhs also rose and said "then we all will come with you in the baraat!"

Baba jee then adressed all the Singhs and said, "Khalsa jee! You have all agreed to join my wedding party. We will give our heads in this Dharam Yudh and in this way we will be married. We will get Shaheedee and Guru Sahib will give us all Kingships. No, even bigger rewards than kingships. That Singh who gives his head in battle will be the King of Kings. "

The Singhs Prepare for The "Wedding"

By this time, Ahmed Shah Abdali had arrived in Lahore. He was preparing to go to Delhi when he heard about the gathering of the Khalsa at Sree Amritsar. He decided that on the way to Delhi, he would stop at Sree Amritsar and slaughter all the Sikhs.

Hearing of the advance of Abdali, some of the cowards who had remained at Sree Amritsar with Baba jee ran away. Baba jee also encouraged them to leave and said "Go! Leave now, otherwise we won't let you leave later!"

Only a few Singhs remained now. The remaining Singhs were all chardee kala naam abhyaasee Gursikhs. They prepared for their death like a groom prepares for his wedding. They all had new cholas sewn. Some decided to sew blue, and others wore white and others kesree. They gathered in front of Sree Akaal Takhat Sahib and eagerly awaited the enemy.

ਬਸਤਰ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਪਹਿਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਭਏ ਤਬੇ ਸਵਧਾਨ I ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਬਾਣੀ ਪੜ੍ਹੀ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਗ ਧਰ ਧਯਾਨ I੩੭I

They would stand on their toes to see if the enemy was yet visible on the horizon. They were discussing how they would give their Shaheedees and then in Dargah would stop the Afghan attacks forever.

The day the Afghans were expected to attack, the Singhs all rose at amrit vela. They began to prepare like it was their wedding day. They sprinkled themselves with attar and rose scents, and rubbed sandal paste on their bodies. As they did this, they sang "GhoReeaa(n)" shabads from Sree Guru Granth Sahib. They then bathed in Sree Amritsar Sahib and then gathered at Sree Akaal Takhat.

Baba jee was looking very impressive in his new dress. He was wearing a blue chola over his new kacherra and was wearing a very tight dumalla, which was tied especially for battle. The dumalla had many chakars and kirpaans tied into it. The Singhs then gathered and offered obeisance to Sree Guru Granth Sahib. After reading 5 pauRees of Anand Sahib and doing ardaas

The Singhs distributed Degh and then as a group left for darshan of Sree Darbaar Sahib.

The group of Singhs was led by a Nishaan Sahib and nagaaras were beating. Baba jee asked the Singhs to sing shabads of happiness as this was their wedding day and the wedding party was now moving. Baba jee and the other Singhs also gave away all the money they had to the needy. They arrived at Sree Darbaar Sahib and did parkarma. Once inside, they showered Sree Guru Granth Sahib with flowers and then did Ardaas. Baba jee standing before Satguru Granth Sahib spoke the following words, "True Emperor, protector of the poor! Your Khalsa is going now to marry the bride of Death. We are going to battle the Dushts. Satguru jee! May our Sikhee and our kesh stay intact through our final breaths."

ਹਰਿਮੰਦਰ ਕੇ ਹਜੂਰ ਇਮ ਖੜ ਕਰ ਕਰੀ ਅਰਦਾਸ I “ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਸੰਗ ਨਿਭੈ ਸੀਸ ਕੇਸਨ ਕੇ ਸਾਸ I੪੮I”

The Afghans in the meantime had began to move towards Sree Amritsar. They had prepared for a massive battle and brought a large army. They were wearing armour and metal helmets. They had decided to do battle in such a way that the Singhs would be killed but they themselves would incur minimal casualties. They had brought long weapons which could kill from a distance such as large guns.

Baba jee, after offering ardaas at Sree Darbaar Sahib, returned with the Singhs to Sree Akaal Takhat Sahib to listen to keertan and await the enemy. The keertanees began to recite keertan and the Singhs would ask that certain shabads they wanted to hear be sung. The GhoReeaa(n) shabads were again recited. In this way, the entire night passed in listening to keertan. At day break, the enemy had arrived.

The Afghans Arrive & The Battle Begins

The Singhs upon seeing the Afghan army came down from Sree Akaal Takhat Sahib. They bowed to their shastars (kirpaans, kataars and talwaars) and then grabbed them. Some Singhs grabbed very big sticks and others mounted horses. The Singhs vied to go ahead of each other and kept moving forward. The Singhs argued about who had the right to attain Shaheedee first. The Nishaan Sahibs were furling and the beat of nagaaraas was echoing. The Singhs were like grooms anxious to marry a beautiful wife and seeing the time come closer, becoming more and more excited.

Some Singhs then ran forward and began the battle. The Singhs would sprint forward and began to embrace Shaheedee and complete their weddings with death. The Singhs were surrounded on all four sides and the Afghans began to close in. Baba jee called out to all the Singhs, "Singhs! Step forward and embrace martyrdom! “ਹੋ ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਪਗ ਅੱਗੈ ਧਾਰ I੫੭I”
If we step forward, our honour remains intact, if we step back, they will say we are retreating! Do not look for assistance anymore, just go forward! Now go forward and give your heads!" .

Hearing Baba jee's cry, the Singhs all charged forward, not one Singh took a step back.

ਹੋਹੁ ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਅਬ ਹੈ ਦੇਰ ਕਹੀ I੬੫I ਤੌ ਲਗ ਗਿਲਜੋ ਔਰ ਆਇ ਪੜੇ I ਲੜ ਲੜ ਮਰੈ ਜਹੀਂ ਸਿੰਘ ਅੜੇ I ਨਾਂਹਿ ਪੈਰ ਕਿਨ ਪਿੱਛੈ ਮੋਰਾ I ਸਿੰਘਨ ਪੈਰ ਸੁ ਅੱਗੈ ਤੋਰਾ I੬੬I

They fell upon the Afghans like a lion on deer. The Singhs were all eager to become Shaheed as quickly as possible. They had no hope for life.

Baba jee again called out, "Khalsa jee! Become Shaheed and cross this world-ocean! Let us go to the court of Satguru jee and ask that the Afghans never attack here again and that the Khalsa should rule! What is the delay now? Fall upon the enemy!"

Wherever the Singhs stood their ground against the Afghans, they eventually fell. Afghan reinforcements also arrived. The Singhs never looked back, some Afghans even began to run away. Seeing this, Baba jee bellowed, "Don't let them go Khalsa jee! Stand and fight this Dharam Yudh!"

The Afghans did not understand what Baba jee was saying and were surprised to the see the Singhs run after them. They then trained their guns upon the Singhs. Many Singhs standing with Baba jee fell to the rain of bullets. Baba jee then took out his heavy Tegha and ran towards the enemy. He swung his Tegha with such force that it cut through the armour of the Afghans. Baba jee would aim for the face and neck where there was less armour. The Afghans all then began to cover their faces with their shields.

The Singhs seeing the cowardice of the Afghans threw aside their own shields and challenged, "look! We've thrown aside our shields, do you have the bravery to do the same? We'll take your blows without any shield, will you take ours?"

The Singhs continued to run forward and did not show any fear of death. They did not so much as look backwards. The Afghans continued to fall back and began to wonder why such a small group was not finishing and whether these few Singhs would cause their defeat. They could not bear the brunt of the Singhs' sword blows. They fell back and began to fire bullets and arrows.

Baba Jee's Shaheedee

Baba jee's body was pierced by many bullets and arrows and his wounds could not be counted. Some cut through his skin and others broke bones. But neither did the Singhs accept defeat nor would they acknowledge any pain. Baba jee's body was pouring blood like a spring. But Baba jee kept moving forward and was demanding Shaheedee and asking Guru Jee to keep his Laaj

"ਪੈਜ ਬਿਰਦ ਕੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਰਾਖੈ I ਲਾਜ ਨ ਲਾਗੇ" ਯੌ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਖੈ I "ਹਇ ਸ਼ਹੀਦੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਪੂਰੀ"I ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਮੰਗੈ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ I੭੭I

Baba jee was soaked in blood like he had just been playing Holi with colours. Eventually because of loss of blood, Baba jee became very weak. He could not walk anymore and became very tired. But with every ounce of strength in his being, he put one foot ahead of the other. He was careful that no one would say he retreated.

"ਮਤ ਕਤ ਆਖੈ ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਸਿੰਘ ਮੁਯੋ ਮੁਖ ਫੇਰ ਪਿਛਾਹਿਂ I੮੦I

Baba jee called to the remaining Singhs, "Singhs! Do not shame the BaaNaa we wear! May our Shaheedees be perfect and may we fall in the battlefield!"

By this time, even more Afghan reinforcements arrived. The new Afghans surrounded the wounded Baba jee and pierced him with their long spears. Baba jee with great effort used his khanda to cut off the spears and the Afghans again fell back. Baba jee would not look back but the enemy had surrounded him and knocked him to the ground from behind with a blow from a spear. Baba jee fell to his knees. Baba jee thought in his mind, "I cannot let go of my khanda. If I let it go, the enemy may consider me helpless and not attack.

I will not be able to become Shaheed and my wish will not be fulfilled. If I do not take care of this moment, who knows if I ever get the opportunity for Shaheedee again?"

Baba Jee kept fighting even after falling on his knees and never let go of his Talvaar

ਸਿੰਘ ਸੁ ਗਿਰਯੋ ਗੋਡਨ ਕੇ ਭਾਰ I ਤਊ ਨ ਛੋਡੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਲਵਾਰ I ੮੧I

Baba jee then again raised his khanda and called to the Afghans, "Come! Try to take my head!" He put his head forward like an offering. Again the enemy surrounded him and fighting on his knees, Baba jee was beheaded by the enemy and in this way attained Shaheedee.

ਅਬ ਧੜ ਤੈ ਸੀਸ ਉਤਰਾਈਐ ਕੋਇ ਝਲ ਤਿੱਖੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ I ੮੨I

Baba jee's vow was completed , he offered his Sis in the same fashion as Sree Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee.

ਦਯੋ ਸੀਸ ਉਨ ਆਗੈ ਨਿਵਾਇ I ਜਿਮ ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਗੁਰ ਕੀਓ ਦਾਇ I੮੩I

Shaheed Khalsa

The enemy rejoiced at the Shaheedee of Baba Gurbaksh Singh jee and shouted out slogans in relief. The Khalsa too rejoiced at the Shaheedee of Baba jee in its own way. Shaheed Khalsa was waiting in anticipation of Baba Gurbaksh Singh Jee.

ਸ਼ਹੀਦਨ ਕੈ ਮਧ ਭਈ ਵਧਾਈ I ਹੁਤੇ ਉਡੀਕਤ ਗੁਰਬਖਸ਼ ਸਿੰਘ ਭਾਈ I

Baba Gurbaksh Singh jee was received in Grandeur and carried on royal carriage with Shaheed Khalsa wearing Blue and holding Nishan Sahibs and Nagarey.

ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਨਿਗਾਰੈ ਸ਼ਹੀਦਨ ਫੜੇ I ਨੀਲੇ ਬਾਣੇ ਪਹਿਰ ਸੁ ਖੜੇ I ੮੬I

The Aftermath

Night fell and the Afghans were in shock after seeing such a bloody battle. They set up camp near the Bhangi fort and fell into a deep sleep. The Singhs in the area though rose at night and attacked the camp. The Singhs stole horses and slaughtered the Afghans. The remaining Afghans could not sleep and at daybreak, quickly ran from the area.

The same night, some Singhs came to the scene of the battle to see what had happened. They saw the headless bodies of the Singhs and many many Afghans. The Singhs decided to make one big pyre and cremate all the bodies together. Behind Sree Akaal Takhat Sahib, a lot of wood was gathered and all the bodies were cremated together. Degh was distributed and the Singhs celebrated as though a great wedding had taken place. The whole Panth was saying Dhan Dhan

ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਪੰਥ ਸਭੋ ਉਸ ਆਖੈ I ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸਭ ਧਨ ਉਸ ਭਾਖੈਂ I

The Khalsa decided to erect a Shaheed Ganj in memory of Baba Gurbaksh Singh and the rest of the Singhs. This place was seen by many to have a very strong presence of Kala and nothing would seem to come near it.

ਐਸੀ ਕਲਾ ਉਸ ਜਗਾ ਹੋਈ I ਭੂਤ ਦਰਸ ਤਹਿਂ ਰਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਈ I

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8697/sisganjbaba.jpgGurdwara Sis Ganj

Baba jee's Shaheedee was glorious and indeed, the Afghan power did begin to fall after this point. The Panth believed that Baba Jee’s benti was heard at the feet of Guru Jee, within a few years, the Sikhs began to rule Punjab and the Sikh Kingdoms were established.

ਜਬ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਚ ਸਿੰਘ ਲਏ ਮੰਨ I ਤਬ ਹੀ ਭਯੋ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਧੰਨ I੧੦੫I

Re: ਸੂਰਾਸੋਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐਜੁਲਰੈਦੀਨਕੇਹੇਤ ॥ ਪੁਰਜਾਪੁਰਜਾਕਟਿਮਰੈਕਬਹੂਨਛਾਡੈਖੇਤੁ ॥ - Puraatan Sheeromanee Khalsa Panth Shaheeds
Date: February 07, 2010 09:04AM

Shaheed Bhai Manee Singh Jee and the rest of his family have played a major role in the Panth. Something I think that will be hard to match. He was one of 11 brothers, 10 of them became Shaheed, below are the shaheeds names

Bhai Dayala Jee gave Shaheedee with Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee
Bhai Hatee Chand Jee at Bhanganee(1688)
Bhai Sohan Chand Jee at Nadhonh(1691)
Bhai Dhan Singh at Chamkaur(1704)
Bhai Lehna Singh Jee at Gulehr(1696)
Bhai Rai Singh Jee at Mukstar(1705)
Bhai Jheta Singh and Bhai Roop Singh Jee at Lahore(1711)
Bhai Maan Singh Jee at Chethurh Garh(1708)
Bhai Jagat Singh Jee at Lahore(1734)

Bhai Manee Singh Jee had 10 sons and most of them too gave Shaheedee. Two of the sons Bhai Bachitar Singh and Bhai Uday Singh have left their mark in history with their daring bravery. Then there was Bhai Ajab Singh, Ajaib Singh, Anekh Singh who gave Shaheedee at Chamkaur. The others were Chitar Singh, Gurbaksh Singh, Bhagvan Singh, Balram Singh and Desa Singh(rehatnamia).It did not stop just there, Shaheedees then carried onto the next generation.

Bhai Sahib was very fortunate to have been very close to Guru Gobind Singh Jee and the rest of the family, he had the opportunity to carry out special seva of writing Gurbanee.

Bhai Sahib was a very Chardee Kala Gursikh, He’s seva was exemplary and he was a great Keertanee. A contemporary Bhatt of Bhai sahib has written that he was one of the highest Sikhs and was a bhagat of bhagats ਸਿੱਖਨ ਮੈਂ ਸਿੱਖ ਊਚੋ ਭਗਤਨ ਮੈਂ ਭਗਤ ਮੂਚੋ

Bhai sahib also brought back Gurmat practices in the Darbar Sahib and brought peace between the Khalsa because of his respect.

Bhai Manee Jee also kept very high Rehat, in Shaheed Bilas the following description of Bhai Sahib is given

ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੇ ਆਲਸ ਕੋ ਤਿਆਗੈ I (Bhai Sahib would do seva and give up laziness)

ਸਵਾ ਪਹਿਰ ਨਿਸ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਜਾਗੈ I (He would get up at Amritvela - 1.25 pehar left of the night)

ਕਰ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ ਜਪੈ ਜਪ ਜਾਪੁ I (Would do Ishnan and then do Jaap of Naam, Jap Jee Sahib, Jap Sahib - nitnem)

ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਕਾ ਬਡ ਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ I (He had great knowledge and memory of Gurbanee)

ਸਜ ਦੁਮਾਲਾ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਪਹਿਰੈ I (He would tie a Dumalla on his head and wear Shashtar)

ਨੀਲੰਬਰ, ਗਜ ਸਵਾ ਕਛਹਿਰੈ I (He wore a Blue bana and had a long Kachera – sava gaj)

ਪਕੜ ਦੁਤਾਰਾ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਾਣੀ I (He would hold a saaj and sing Gurbanee)

ਆਸਾ ਵਾਰ ਸੁਖਾਂ ਦੀ ਖਾਣੀ I ੧੮੨ I (He would recite Asaa Vaar and receive the food of peace)

Below is the account of Bhai Manee Singh jee's shaheedee, with every detail, as it was witnessed by Bhai Rattan Singh's father, Bhai Rai Singh.

Eye Witness Account of Shaheedee of Bhai Manee Singh Jee
Taken from Pracheen Panth Parkash written by Rattan Singh Bhangoo

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8922/bhaimanisinghjee.jpg

Introduction

Bhai Manee Singh jee was a very wise Gursikh who was respected by the entire Sikh community. He was a very committed naam abhyaasee and besides being very spiritual was very knowledgeable as well. His entire life was moulded by Satguru jee's baaNee. He was karmee, dharmee, a Bhagat, a Gainee ਕਰਮੀ ਧਰਮੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਗਿਆਨੀ I .He kept all rehat that Guru Jee had ordained.

Bhai Manee Singh jee stayed with Satguru jee and Satguru jee used to call him "Maneeaa". Because of his time with Guru jee, his Sikhi was very strong. When Guru jee used to finish eating, Bhai Manee Singh jee used to eat the leftovers. Bhai Sahib was very stubborn and whatever he set his mind to do, he would do it no matter what.

Bhai Sahib would teach other Gursikhs about Sikhi and if a Sikh made a mistake, he would summon him to the Akaal Takhat and have him punished. Just like Sikhs were inducted earlier by Baba Buddha jee, in the same way, later on, Bhai Manee Singh would teach the Sikhs about Sikhi. He taught all castes and classes without discrimination. Bhai Manee Singh would teach history and also explain baaNee.

Bhai Manee Singh jee had accompanied Mata Sundari jee to Delhi but was sent back to Sree Amritsar Sahib so that he could start a Langar at Sree Darbaar Sahib. He organised all this and where before all money would be sent to the Guru's treasury, now it was all used in the langar for the Khalsa. This was done because Guru Sahib had said he loved the Khalsa and serving the Khalsa was the greatest deed of all.

The Mistake and Sangats bachan

Bhai Manee Singh decided once to separate Guru Granth Sahib jee (some say this means that he changed the order of the baaNee and others say this means he made gutkaas and pothees. There is a Granth in Delhi attributed to Bhai Manee Singh in which the baaNee is divided not according to raag, but according to each Guru and then according to each Bhagat so this seems most likely the mistake that was made.) The sangat heard of this and was outraged and said that just like Bhai Manee Singh has cut joints of Guru Granth Sahib Jee, he too would be cut from joints for his mistake. They told Bhai Sahib, "Bhai Manee Singh! You too will be cut from joints like this!".

News of this outrage soon reached Bhai Manee Singh. Bhai Manee Singh was saddened and said that he had split the beeR for what he thought was a good cause. At the same time Bhai Sahib recognised that the Sangat's word would not go empty. The Sangat's words have power and what they had said would certainly come true. He accepted that what the sangat had said would happen no matter what. This acceptance shows the true character of Bhai Manee Singh, he humbly accepted the criticism and any punishment. As we will read later he had the opportunity to not give Shahedee but because of his love for Sangat he wanted their bachan to come true and restore any of his dignity within their feet.

Bhai Sahib jee went to the Akaal Takhat where the Sangat had gathered and with folded hands stood before them. He said, "Khalsa jee, please forgive me for the sin I have committed. Because there is no difference between the Guru and the Guru's Sangat, only you can now forgive me. I accept the decision of the Sangat. Khalsa jee! I will fulfil the words of the Sangat with all my power, but please do ardaas for me that my Sikhi is not stained and remains intact until my final breaths. And please also do this ardaas, that when I am cut apart from joints, may I not feel any pain and may I not even notice any difference. If I feel pain and then cry out, my Sikhi will be stained. May there be no effect on my Sikhi and may Guru Sahib come to my help so that I may pass this test. If this all happens, then I will feel happy that my Sikhi has remained intact and I did not falter."

ਮੇਰੀ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਸਾਬਤ ਰਹੈ I ਬੰਦ ਬੰਦ ਕਾਟਤ ਨਹਿਂ ਦੁਖ ਅਹੈ I੧੪ I

ਸਿੱਖੀ ਮੈਂ ਕਿਛ ਭੰਗ ਨ ਪਵੈ I ਦੇਹ ਸੀਸ ਤੁਰਕਨ ਸਿਰ ਭਵੈ I

ਦੇਹ ਕਟਨ ਮੈਂ ਦੂਖ ਨ ਮਾਨੋਂ I ਸਿਖੀ ਰਹੈ ਮੈਂ ਵਡ ਸੁਖ ਜਾਨੋ I ੧੫ I

"I don't need my body if my Sikhi is intact and uneffected. I don't mind then if I am cut apart. The body comes and goes but Sikhi is rare and if I lose it, I will not get it again."

The Singhs accepted Bhai Sahib's request and five Singhs from the Sangat rose and did the ardaas. They asked that Bhai Sahib's Sikhi should remain intact. Guru Sahib always accepts his Singhs' ardaas and thus this too was accepted. Bhai Sahib was now satisfied and he returned to his happy state and his face once again began to glow.

Festival at Divali

Some years passed. Bhai Manee Singh decided that he would organise a large gathering at Divali. He spoke with the Mughals and asked that the Sangat not be harassed when they were coming to Amritsar. The Mughals agreed but demanded that Bhai Sahib pay them 10 000 Rupees at the end of the festival. The Nawab of Lahore told Bhai Manee Singh that he need not fear, the Sangat would not be harassed and they could have 10 days for their festival.

Bhai Manee Singh sent letters to all the Khalsa Sangat and invited them to Amritsar for the Divali festival. The Khalsa arrived and set up camp. At this point, an enemy of the Khalsa, Lakhpat Rai spoke with the Nawab and said that when the Singhs would leave, they would certainly cause problems and chaos. They will certainly kill someone.

The Nawab was convinced to send his army to Amritsar. Lakhpat Rai was sent with the army so he could direct their actions. Lakhpat Rai was given instructions by the Nawab that if the Singhs did not cause trouble, he should not harass them and let them have their festival and leave. Just seeing the army, he expected the Singhs would behave.

Although Lakhpat Rai was given these instructions, he was still opposed to the Singhs and wanted some way to kill them. It was natural at any rate that sending the Mughal army would result in some trouble. Just like gunpowder and fire coming together always results in an explosion, the same way the meeting of the Mughal and Sikh armies also had to result in problems. The Singhs heard that the army had come from Lahore and wondered why they had come at the time of the festival. They suspected that an attack was imminent. The Singhs began to leave Amritsar. Some did not even do ishnaan and left immediately. They also turned back the Singhs who were on route to the festival.

If there was no Sangat, then of course there could be no money collected and thus the money owed to the Mughals could not be paid. The time for Bhai Manee Singh to be cut to pieces had arrived. He too understood this was the time for the Sangat's words to come true. Most Singhs had left Sree Amritsar but some decided to stay with Bhai Sahib such as Bhai Bhoop Singh and Bhai Gulzaar Singh.

Arrest

As the Singhs were leaving Amritsar, they made some attacks on the Mughals and killed some Chaudris (village heads) as well. When Lakhpat Rai arrived, he arrested all the Singhs he could find and blamed them for the trouble the other retreating Singhs had caused. Bhai Manee Singh and others were arrested and brought before the Nawab of Lahore. The Nawab demanded that Bhai Manee Singh pay the 10 000 Rupees he had promised. Bhai Manee Singh refused and said that he would not pay a cent since the government had broken the agreement by sending the army. Some rich businessmen and local Sikhs asked that they be allowed to pay the fine, but Bhai Sahib forbid them from doing so. Bhai Sahib said that even if he had the money, he still would not pay such an unjust fine. Bhai Sahib knew his time had arrived and decided that he would not show any weakness now. He was ready for shaheedee and ready to fulfil the words of the Sangat.

Bhai Manee Singh told the Nawab that he had no money and would pay nothing and that if he wanted, he could take his life. The Sangat was desperate to save Bhai Sahib's life and brought sacks filled with money but Bhai Sahib refused to let the Sangat pay the fine. The Nawab was furious that Bhai Sahib would not agree even though money was available to pay. He called the Kazis and Mullahs and asked them what punishment Bhai Manee Singh should be given. They replied that there were only two options: either Bhai Sahib pay the fine and if not, he should accept Islam. The Nawab asked Bhai Manee Singh to embrace Islam and he would then be forgiven. Bhai Sahib replied, "Why would we leave the Sikh faith? We will never lose this. It shall remain with us until our final breath. What is this one life? Even if I had to sacrifice countless lives in return for Sikhi it would be a good bargain. We would lose countless lives for the Sikh faith."

The Nawab then asked the Kazis the method by which the Singhs would be executed. The Kazi told the Mufti to announce the sentence that Bhai Manee Singh would be cut to pieces, joint by joint. The whole world should be shown how severe the punishment is for such an offence. Bhai Manee Singh had expected such a decision as the words of the Sangat would one day certainly be fulfilled.

Shaheedee

Bhai Manee Singh was handed over to the executioners who took him to Lahore's Nikhaas Chownk, where he was to be publicly executed. Bhai Sahib was seated and the executioner took his place as well. Bhai Sahib asked the executioner, "Which are the joints you will cut?" The executioner replied, "There are four: your two arms and two legs. I will cut your arms and legs from your torso."

Bhai Manee Singh replied, "Executioner! You don't understand the concept of "joint-by-joint" then. Don't you know that the body has many many joints? You prepare yourself to cut and I will direct you where to cut myself. As I tell you, you will wield your knife there."

Bhai Manee Singh put his hand forward and directed that his each finger be cut at the three joints. He himself began to recite baaNee and explained everything with signals. Each finger was cut in three and then the executioner arrived at the wrist, which was also cut off. The executioner wanted to then move to the shoulder, but Bhai Manee Singh thrust his elbow forward and demanded it be cut first. The elbow was cut and then the shoulder. Bhai Sahib then handed his left arm to the executioner and it too was cut in the same way, starting with the thumb. Next Bhai Sahib put his foot forward, which was also cut piece by piece. The executioner had now moved to Bhai Sahib's knee, which was also cut. While this was happening Bhai Sahib was reciting Gurbanee and feeling no pain, his lips were uttering Sukhmanee Sahib

“ਨਹਕਿਛੁਜਨਮੈਨਹਕਿਛੁਮਰੈ ॥“

A Mughal soldier was watching all this and was shocked. He was having trouble watching all this. He was terrified. He began to fear that if such a person uttered a curse on his executioners or the rulers, it would certainly come to be. Only a very spiritually powerful person could undergo such an execution and if he cursed the Mughals, it would mean disaster. He withdrew his sword and with a single blow cut Bhai Sahib's head from his body. Bhai Sahib's Sikhee had remained intact through his final breaths.
Ratan Singh Bhangoo has said that Bhai Manee Singh became a Sardar amongst Shaheeds and fell at the waiting Sahibjadan. He ends of by saying

ਹੈ ਹੈ ਕਾਰ ਜਗਤ ਮੈਂ ਭਯੋ I ਜੈ ਜੈ ਕਾਰ ਸਿਖਨ ਮਨ ਠਯੋ I

Date: February 10, 2010 05:48AM

Shaheedee of Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee
Taken from Pracheen Panth Prakash by Ratan Singh Bhangoo
Translated by admin www.tapoban.org

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8805/bhaitharoosingh.jpg

Introduction

Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee was a Rehat-vaan young Gursikh from a Pind called Phoola in the area of Majha.

Nawab Zakariya Khan unleashed an unprecedented reign of terror and slaughter targeting Sikhs towards the end of his life. However he found even with using these brutal tactics he could not defeat the Sikhs. The majority of Sikhs had now left their homes and were living in Jungles/Forests.

The Nawab was questioning how were these Sikhs surviving, “I have stopped the takings at the Gurdwaras, I have stopped all their work, they should be dying of hunger and thirst. I have destroyed all the Pinds were I could find Sikhs, how are they feeding themselves?
Then a Dusht by the name of Har Bhagat Neranjanee gave an answer and said there are still some Sikhs left in the Pinds who are helping the Sikhs living in the Jungles. There are Sikhs out there that are willing to live without food and cloths but can not bare to see their fellows Sikhs in hardship

ਆਪ ਸਹੈਂ ਵੈ ਨੰਗ ਅਰ ਭੁੱਖ I ਦੇਖ ਸਕੈਂ ਨਹਿਂ ਸਿੰਘਨ ਦੁੱਖ I

They will make or earn what little they can and give it to the Sikhs living in the Jungles.
Hearing this, the Nawab said “This is a very hard Panth to kill only Khudha can kill it”

He then however said show me the people that are helping these Sikhs. The Dusht replied by saying there is one family in a Pind called Phoola. They are a family of three, Tharoo Singh his sister and their mother. They are very devout Sikhs, they do not worship Ram Kishan nor go to Ganga or Jamna. Tharoo Singh does farming, they give most of what they have to the Sikhs and survive on very little food

ਆਪ ਖਾਇ ਵਹਿ ਰੂਖੀ ਮਿੱਸੀ I

They travel secretly at night to visit the Sikhs in their hideouts .

The Arrest of Bhai Tharoo Singh

The Nawab sent orders for the arrest of Bhai Tharoo Singh and his family. Bhai Tharoo Singh and sister were arrested and brought to Lahore.
Some prominent members of the public got the sister released. Attempts were also made to release Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee but he refused any help. He said I am not the one who runs away from death

ਅਸੀ ਨ ਮਰਨੋਂ ਨਠਨ ਵਾਰੇ I

Bhai sahib said he will take what ever torture they give and bring about their karams for demise. Only by giving ones head will they be destroyed. Our Gurus have shown the way Guru Tegh Bahadhur Jee gave his head and Guru Gobind Singh Jee sacrificed his family and only then did change occur.

When the Sikhs learnt about the arrest of Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee, they all came together and did ardas for Bhai Sahib and requested Guru Jee keep his Sikhee till his last breath

ਸਿੱਖੀ ਸਾਥ ਨਿਬਾਹੀ ਸਾਸ I੩I

Bhai Tharoo Singh’s Torture

Bhai Tharoo Singh was kept in prison for some days and all kinds of torture was put in front of him but from each of their actions Bhai Sahib was growing in Chardee Kalan

ਜਿਮ ਜਿਮ ਸਿੰਘ ਕੋ ਤੁਰਕ ਸਤਾਵੈਂ I ਤਿਮ ਤਿਮ ਮੁਖ ਸਿੰਘ ਲਾਲੀ ਆਵੇ I
ਜਿਮ ਜਿਮ ਸਿੰਘ ਕਛੁ ਪੀਏ ਨ ਖਾਇ I ਤਿਮ ਤਿਮ ਸਿੰਘ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਆਇ I੫I
ਜੀਵਨ ਤੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਆਸ ਚੁਕਾਈ I ਨਹਿ ਉਸ ਚਿੰਤ ਸੁ ਮਰਨੇ ਕਾਈ I
ਸਤ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਧੀਰ ਮਨ ਤਾਂਕੋ I ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਭਾਣਾ ਸਿਰ ਪਰ ਜਾਂਕੇ I ੬ I

Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee was then presented in front of the Nawab. Bhai Sahib greeted the Nawab with a loud Fateh and a Jaykara of Akaal Akaal

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਫਤੈ ਬੁਲਾਈ I ਅਕਾਲ ਅਕਾਲ ਕਹਿ ਊਚ ਸੁ ਨਾਈ I

In reaction to this the Nawab ordered the cutting of Bhai Sahib’s finger and placing salt on the wound.
Bhai Tharoo Singh said “ Listen Nawab, I have not harmed you in anyway so why this punishment? I earn an honest living and pay my taxes so why are you punishing me?
The Nawab then said angrily “Become a Muslemaan and I will spare your life”
Bhai Sahib replied “Where can I run to from fear, how can I become a Muslemaan. Do Muslemaans not die, so why give up your faith if you still have to die.”
The Nawab offered Lands and Women as bribes but the only thing Bhai Sahib asked for was “I will be grateful if you could present me a way where I can keep my uncut hair till my last breath.”

The Nawab then lost all his patience and said angrily in derogatory way “Remove his hair with shoes”
Bhai sahib responded “The shoes will fall upon you” and said the following

ਜੋ ਸਿਖ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਤਿਨ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਨਿਬਾਹਿਂ I

The hair of a Sikh of the Poora SatGur will remain intact to the end

The Nawab ordered the cutting of his hair with a blade but when they tried to cut Bhai Sahib’s hair the blade would become blunt. The hands of the cutters froze and started to shake. Guru Jee kept the Laaj of his Gursikh and the sangat’s ardas and none of Bhai Sahib’s hair could be cut.

The Nawab thought this was some sort of sorcery, so he thought of a way around Bhai Sahib’s Bachan. He ordered that Bhai Sahib’s scalp be removed with his hair intact.

Bhai Tharoo Singh was delighted that his hair was not to be cut and thanked Guru Jee for keeping his honour.

Bhai Sahib’s scalp was removed from his forehead right through to his ears. He didn’t express any pain and was doing Jaap of Naam

ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਸੋ ਰਰੈ I

There was so much blood that it looked as though Bhai Sahib was doing ishnaan in blood.

The Nawab gets struck with illness

As soon as Bhai Sahib’s scalp was removed the Nawab was inflicted with roug, he was unable to urinate. He began to cry out in pain. He called out for all the mualas and Kazises to help. They began to say their Kalma but the pain did not go. The Nawab then saw Shaheed Singhs in blue Bana with shaster they made all the pirs run off and made sure the Nawab suffered.

The Nawab sought to seek help from the Sikhs, he released Bhai Subheg Singh and said the Shaheed Singhs don’t let me go, help me. I will stop the killing of Sikhs if you help me. Subheg Singh explained that you can not turn the Bachan of a Sant. He repeated lines from Sukhmanee sahib

.......ਸੰਤਦੋਖੀਕਾਥਾਉਕੋਨਾਹਿ ॥ .....

Subheg Singh reluctantly went and met Bhai Tharoo Singh and told him everything. Bhai Tharoo Singh said that even if his skin can be of any use to the Sikhs he would feel privileged to give it. Only the Sikh Sangat can change events I can not do anything.

Subheg Singh was then sent to meet the Khalsa Sangat and the first thing they asked was what happened to Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee. Subheg Singh told them everything, all you could hear was Dhan Dhan Tharoo Singh, Dhan Maath Pith, Dhan Ous Bhai.

Hearing this some in the Sangat said it was time to attack Lahore and behead the Nawab even if we are outnumbered, some said only a few should go in disguise and carry out the mission others had other suggestions. However Subheg Singh convinced them that it was not worth attacking Lahore as the Nawab was close to death and there would be an internal dispute as to who will succeed.

The Sangat decided to make out some conditions for the Nawab to meet and if done then their ardas would work. Five Singhs got up and did ardas that if the Nawab hits the shoes of Bhai Tharoo Singh on his head then he should be able to urinate.

Subheg Singh went back and told the Nawab of the instructions from the Khalsa. The hitting of Bhai Tharoo Singh’s shoes worked.

The Nawab was able to live a further 22 days and then died. Bhai Tharoo Singh also passed away at around the same time.

Bhai Tharoo Singh’s Sanskar

Some Singhs turned up suddenly in Lahore at the Charayee time of Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee. They made arrangements for wood and brought water from Amritsar. They did ishnaan of Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee’s body, made Karah Prashad, recited Shabads and then did Ardas after Anand Sahib. All Singh were in Kushee and were saying

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੈਜ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਰਾਖੀ I ਰਹੈ ਜਗਤ ਮੈਂ ਜੁਗ ਜੁਗ ਸਾਖੀ I੩I

That Guru Sahib has kept Pehaj of Khalsa and this Sakhee of Bhai Tharoo Singh will live on for generations and generations.

Ratan Singh then writes that Shaheed Singhs came and took Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee while singing Gurbanee in a royal carriage led by a grand horses. While the Nawab was taken away by Jaams hitting him with shoes as they took him.

Guru Gobind Singh Jee was waiting with the other Shaheed Singhs in anticipation of Bhai Sahibs arrival, he was seated on the left hand of Guru Jee while Bhai Manee Singh Jee was sitting on the right. Bhai Tharoo Singh Jee was made a Shaheedan Sirh Shaheed.

Re: ਸੂਰਾਸੋਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐਜੁਲਰੈਦੀਨਕੇਹੇਤ ॥ ਪੁਰਜਾਪੁਰਜਾਕਟਿਮਰੈਕਬਹੂਨਛਾਡੈਖੇਤੁ ॥ - Puraatan Shiromanee Khalsa Panth Shaheeds
Date: February 15, 2010 08:48AM

The Ghalughara of 1746
Taken from Pracheen Panth Prakash by Rattan Singh Bhangoo & Sada Ithias by Satbir Singh

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2563/firstghalughara.jpg

Beheading of Jaspat Rai

After the death of Zakriya Khan, his sons were embroiled in a power struggle of the Nawabship of Punjab. Yaheya Khan the oldest Son took control of Lahore and made Lakhpat Rai his minister, they both disliked the Sikhs very much. What made Lakhpat Rai’s hatred for the Sikhs even worse was the beheading of his older brother Jaspat Rai by the Sikhs.
The beheading happened when Jaspat Rai attacked the Sikhs visiting Rorhi Sahib for darshan. The Sikhs told Jaspat Rai that they would only need to buy food and water from the town and then they would leave after having langar.
Jaspat Rai in his hunkaar replied in the most distasteful words towards a Sikh. He said he would cut the hair from their heads and would make ropes of those hairs and tie them back to Lahore.

ਸੀਸ ਮੁੰਨੋ ਤੁਮ ਜਾਟ ਬਨਾਵੋਂ I ਤੁਮਰੇ ਬਾਲ ਮਾਲ ਬਣਾਵੋਂ I

Adding salt to the wounds he was teasing the Singhs by saying he would cut their joints like Bhai Mani Singh.
He then ordered them to leave the Town and the Gurdwara. The Singh’s had been hungry for many days and after hearing his words were in no mood for complying.
Jaspat Rai in anger attacked the Singhs. The Singhs did ardas and came out flying the enemy did not know what hit them. The fool Jaspat Rai had awakened the sleeping lion by placing his hand on the lion’s whiskers.

ਸ਼ੇਰ ਜਗਾਯੋ ਫੜ ਮੁਛਲ ਸੋਤ I

Jaspat Rai was on his elephant commanding his troops when Bhai Nebahoo Singh grabbed the elephants tail and jumped on the elephant and cut of Jaspat Rai’s head.
The soldiers seeing this fled the battle. The Singhs then brought rations from the town and made Langar. The Singh’s then sold the head of Lakpat Rai for 500 rupees.

Lakhpat Rai Vows Revenge

On hearing the news of his elder brother’s death Lakhpat Rai took of his turban and said “He would not put a turban on his head until the day he finishes off the Sikhs. A Khatri(Guru Nanak Dev Jee) started Sikhee and know a Khatri will finish it.” He said he would pass the scissors through the heads of Sikhs and no one will say their name.

To start his campaign he first gathered all the Sikhs in Lahore and they were to be scalped and made Shaheed. He did not listen to any pleas from various religious leaders for the innocent Sikhs. He said I would not even listen to God if he asked for their release.

Yaheya Khan and Lakhpat Rai then went on to make orders for the arrest of any Sikhs, the banning of the words Guru and Granth ( people were told to use Gurrh and pothi instead). Guru Granth Sahib Jees were found and burnt, thrown in the river or in the wells. The Amritsar Sarovar was filled with soil. The order was to stop Naam of WaheGuru.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੋ ਨਾਮ ਹਟਾਵੋ I ਔਰ ਸਭਨ ਕੋ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਾਵੋ I

The Beginning of the First Ghalooghara

Lakhpat Rai then went towards Amritsar. The Sikhs found they could not reach their destinations due the advancement of the Lahore’s army. So it was decided that the Sikhs should go towards the forests of Kahnoovan where an escape could be planned. The army of Yaheya Khan halted the Sikh’s in their tracks and made them face the river Ravi.
Lakhpat Rai ordered the army to start cutting the forest so targeting the Sikhs could be made easier. They were firing cannons at the Sikhs in their pursuit.

The Sikhs decided it was not right to gain shaheedee while hiding in the forests. The Soormeh were ready to come out but some of the elders said the attack should be done with a hit and run policy as this would achieve more gains.

ਭਜ ਭਜ ਲੜਨੋ ਨਹਿ ਕਿਛ ਪਾਪ I

So the Sikhs would sit quiet until the army would come to the point where artillery and cavalry could not enter and this is when the Sikhs made their fight. This policy carried on for a while then the Sikhs decided to go to Basolee Mountains for sanctuary as the terrain would help them and they thought the Hindus in the area would help them too. However the orders of Lahore had reached the Hindus in the mountains not to help the Sikhs. In Basolee the Sikhs were greeted with bullets and stones. The Sikhs were all cornered off, they had the army facing them in both directions and had the River Ravi and bullets from the mountains on either side. They had no food, no water, no sleep, no cannons, no ammunition, the horses were tired and they had to face the steepness of the climb. The Shasters had become blunt after so much fighting and the arrows had finished.

The Sikhs then decided to divide into three groups. One would go up the hills, the second will cross the river Ravi and the third group under the command of Sukha Singh will go and attack Lakhpat Rai. The second group then had to divide again as the River Ravi had become dangerous to cross due the water level. So it was decided anyone on foot would go towards the mountains and the others on horses would go face the enemy.

The Fight of Lions

The Sikhs that were left decided to fight the enemy face on and remembered the Bachan of Guru Sahib that the SanMukh Sikh who fights face on, will have the power of Sava Lakh.

ਸਿਧੋ ਮੁਖ ਕਰ ਮਰੈ ਜੁ ਸੂਰਾ I ਸਵਾ ਲਾਖ ਮੈਂ ਲੇਉਗ ਪੂਰਾ I

The Sikhs formed into a round circle and created their human fortress. The Matta was passed and every Sikh said whoever survives would go and create the Raaj of Khalsa and who shall die will go to GurPurh.

ਜੋ ਨਿਕਸੁ ਜੈਹੈ ਰਾਜ ਲੈਹੈ ਮਰੈ ਗੁਰਪੁਰਿ ਜਾਇ I੫੮I

They then went for it straight into the fight like lions they roared. The Singhs were thirsting for Shaheedee where as the enemy wanted to save their lives.

ਸਿੰਘ ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਚਹੈ ਸਭ ਹੋਵਨ ਤੁਰਕ ਲਰੈ ਨਿਜ ਜਾਨ ਬਚਾਈ I

Navab Kapoor Singh was leading the Sikhs, Sardar Jassa Singh was looking after one side. Sardar Sukha Singh was fighting ahead breaking the enemies’ front line. Sukha Singh came close to killing Lakhpat Rai when a cannon hit his horse and his leg was fatally wounded. He held back and his leg was cut off and replaced by a plank of wood. Sardar Jasa Singh received a bullet wound in is thigh but carried on fighting after bandaging his thigh. Navab Kapoor Singh received a straight wound but with Guru Jee’s Kirpa he survived.

ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ ਲੜੋ ਔ ਤੁਰਦੇ ਜਾਵੋ I In this way fighting and moving foward a few thousand Sikhs escaped in a number of directions but such great was the loss that Sons could not see their fathers and brothers could not see their brothers.

ਬੇਟਾ ਮਿਲਯੋ ਨ ਬਾਪ ਕੋ ਭਾਈ ਮਿਲਯੋ ਨ ਭਾਈ I

The survivors went onto regroup and kept their bachan to the Shaheed Singhs that fell and the rest is as they say is History.

The numbers of Shaheeds from this Ghalughara are not really known but the loss was huge. Historians have given a figure of around 7,000 to 10,000 Shaheed in this Ghulughara.

Rattan Singh Bhangoo has written that

ਕੋਊ ਕਹੈ ‘ਮੋਏ ਚਾਲੀ ਹਜ਼ਾਰ’ I ਕੋਊ ਕਹੈ ‘ਸਿੰਘ ਬਹੁ ਭਏ ਮਾਰ’ I

ਕੋਊ ਕਹੈ ‘ਸਿੰਘ ਚਾਲੀ ਸਾਰੇ I ਤਿਨ ਮੇਂ ਬਚੇ ਛੇ ਸਤ ਕੁ ਸਾਰੇ I੫I

ਕੋਊ ਕਹੈ ‘ਦਲ ਆਹਿ ਪਚਾਸ I ਤਿਨ ਮੇਂ ਭਯੋ ਚਾਲੀ ਕੋ ਨਾਸ’ I

ਕੋਊ ਕਹੈ ‘ਸਿੰਘ ਹੋਤੇ ਘਨੇ I ਪਰਤ ਨਹੀਂ ਜੇ ਮੂਏ ਗਨੇ’ I੬I

“Some say out of 40,000 only 6 or 7,000 survived. Some say out of 85,000 there was 40,000 Shaheed”. He then goes on to say “There can not be any accurate count of the total numbers lost, my guess is around 10,000”.

Re: ਸੂਰਾਸੋਪਹਿਚਾਨੀਐਜੁਲਰੈਦੀਨਕੇਹੇਤ ॥ ਪੁਰਜਾਪੁਰਜਾਕਟਿਮਰੈਕਬਹੂਨਛਾਡੈਖੇਤੁ ॥ - Puraatan Shiromanee Khalsa Panth Shaheeds
Date: February 15, 2010 09:23AM

Battle of Chamkaur - The Worlds Unparalleled Battle 'ਸੰਸਾਰ ਦਾ ਅਨੋਖਾ ਯੁੱਧ '
Taken from Purkh Bhagvant by Satbir Singh, Zafarnama, Sri Gur Sobha by Sainapat, Gurbilas Patshai 10 by Koer Singh

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6381/chamkauri.jpg
Gurdwara Chamkaur Sahib

Moguls in Pursuit of Guru Jee

Sree Guru Gobind Singh Jee and the small Jatha of Khalsa which got separated from the others at the battle on the bank of Sirsa river spent the night of the 20th December in Rupar. All night the Mugal forces were in pursuit of Guru Jee. The whole of the 21st December was too spent in Rupar with the aid of a Patan from that area. On the night of the 21st Guru Jee decided to head towards Chamkaur. Once at Chamkaur, Landlord by the name of Chaudri Budhi Chand requested Guru Jee to seek shelter in his large house like fort rather than go out into the open plains of Rupar. Guru Gobind Singh Jee had spent a night at this house on his way back from Kurukshetra. You can judge for yourself the bravery and love shown to Guru Jee from Punjabis like Chaudri Budhi Chand. He knew that the Mugal forces were in pursuit of Guru Jee and by giving shelter he was playing with his life but he never turned his face on Guru Jee. He said to Guru Jee, “O Guru Maharaj you are taking on all this hardship of no end for us. We can not do anything. What ever I can do and have is yours. This Haveli can still give some sort of protection rather than the open fields.

ਖਬਰ ਸੁਨੀ ਜ਼ਿਮੀਂਦਾਰ ਨੇ, ਮੱਧ ਬਸੈ ਚਮਕੋਰ I
ਸੁਨਤ ਬਚਨ ਤਤਕਾਲ ਹੀ, ਵਹ ਆਯੋ ਉਡਿ ਦੋਰ I੯I ੪੭੩ I
ਹਾਥ ਜੋਰਿ ਐਸੇ ਕਹਯੋ, "ਬਿਨਤੀ ਸੁਨੋ ਕਰਤਾਰ" I
ਬਸੋ ਮਧਿ ਚਮਕੋਰ ਕੈ, ਅਪਨੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਧਾਰ I੬I ੪੭੪ I
ਤਬੈ ਸ੍ਵਾਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਏ, ਛਾਡਿ ਬਾਗ ਕੀ ਠਉਰ I
ਸਿੰਘ ਸਾਥ ਸਬ ਹੀ ਲਿਯੇ, ਆਇ ਬਸੈ ਚਮਕਉਰ I੭I ੪੭੫ I**
(Sri Gur Sobha)

The Battle Begins

The next day in the morning of 22nd December 1704 the Worlds unrivalled battle began. On one side there were 40 hungry, thirsty, tired men and on the other 10 Lakh army. Guru Jee in his Zafarnama has given reference to this :

ਗੁਰਸਨਹ ਚਿਹ ਕਾਰੇ ਚਿਹਲ ਨਰ ॥ ਕਿ ਦਹ ਲਕ ਬਰਾਯਦ ਬਰੋ ਬੇਖ਼ਬਰ ॥੧੯॥*
What can forty hungry men do, when suddenly ten-lac strong army
pounces upon them?

(The figure of 1 million is also given in Sri Gur Sobha and Gur Bilas Patshai 10)

The Nawab Wazir Khan announced in the morning that if Guru Jee and the rest of the Khalsa gave them selves up then their lives will be spared. The reply to this was with arrows from Guru Jee, the Mugals too started firing arrows at the Haveli but no one had the courage to come to the entrance of the Khalsa’s fort. One of the Mugal Generals Nahar Khan tried to quietly place a ladder on the haveli and tried to climb it, but when he raised his head over the roof Guru jee hit him with an arrow.

ਚੁ ਦੀਸਮ ਕਿ ਨਾਹਰ ਬਿਯਾਮਦ ਬ ਜੰਗ ॥ ਚਸ਼ੀਦਮ ਯਕੇ ਤੀਰਿ ਮਨ ਬੇਦਰੰਗ ॥੨੯॥*
When I saw that Nahar had come out from behind the wall for
battle, he immediately took one of my arrows on himself (and
died) - Zafarnama

Khawaja Mehmood Ali ( This is the Khawaja that Guru Jee desbribes as a coward in Zafarnama) stood behind the wall and did not follow his men as they were being killed.

ਕਿ ਆਂ ਖ਼੍ਵਾਜਹ ਮਰਦੂਦ ਸਾਯਹ ਦੀਵਾਰ ॥ ਨਯਾਮਦ ਬ ਮੈਦਾਂ ਬ ਮਰਦਾਨਹ ਵਾਰ ॥੩੪॥
That coward Khawaja ( who was hiding behind the wall ) did not come
out in the battlefield like a brave man

ਦਰੇਗ਼ਾ ਅਗਰ ਰੂਇ ਓ ਦੀਦਮੇ ॥ ਬ ਯਕ ਤੀਰ ਲਾਚਾਰ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ੀਦਮੇ ॥੩੫॥ *
Alas! If I had seen his (Khawaja’s) face, I would have sent him to the
other world just with one arrow.

The historian Latif has written that Khawaja sent a messenger into the Khalsa’s strong hold but he spoke disrespectfully in the presence of Guru Jee. Seeing this Baba Ajit Singh Jee pulled out his talwar and said “ Utter another word and i will smite your head from your body. I will cut you to pieces for daring so to address our chief(Guru Jee) – Latif, pg 265/66
Leave quietly now and our talking will be done in the battle field”.

The Guru Jee’s Son was in total Chardi Kalan. Seeing the cowardice of the Mugal Generals and the bravery of the khalsa the Mugals began to hesitate.

The Nawab of Sirhind seeing this tried to save the moment and ordered the attack on the fort/haveli from all his forces. To combat this assault Guru Jee sent out bands of 5 Singhs to halt their charge. Singhs were also sent to all four corners of the fort. Guru Jee together with both Sahibzade went to the roof top of the fort. Bhai Madan Singh and Bhai Kauda Singh were positioned at the entrance.

As soon as the first batch of Singh Soormay left the fort they confronted the advancing army head on, halting their advance. Guru Jee and the Singhs on top of the fort were showering bullets and arrows. An Amazing scene of Iron hitting Iron occurred within those moments. Many men fell on the field, a flood of blood and flesh was covering the grounds. Loud cries of Haa Haa echoed in the skies. So much blood was spilt that no dust was seen being lifted. All were coloured in red

ਬਸਤਰ ਲਾਲ ਅੰਗ ਸਬ ਕੀਨੇ I**

The Singhs were doing Jaap as they battled

ਜੂਝ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਬੈ ਇਕ ਸਾਰਾ I ਜਪੈ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਬਾਰੰਬਾਰਾ II੨੭II**

All those 5 Singhs became Shaheed. Guru Jee then sent out Bhai Khazan Singh, Bhai Dhian Singh, Bhai Dhaan Singh they too showed their amazing feats on the battle field and transcended to GurPuri.

Singhs request Guru Jee to leave with the Sahibzade

Guru Jee was now seeing the Nawab of Sirhind Wazir Khan preparing to attack the fort with one assault. For this purpose the Nawab called on his Generals Hadeyth Khan, Ismaiel Khan, Fuladh Khan, Sulthan Khan, Asmaan Khan, Jahan Khan, Khaleel Khan and Poore Khan to advance on the fort.

It was quite obvious that halting such an attack was near enough impossible. For this reason the Singhs requested Guru Jee to leave the fort with the Sahibzade. Guru Jee ignored the request and instead pointed towards the battle field and pointed out the flock of birds preying on the dead bodies.
Wah Wah the unconcerned Guru Gobind Singh Jee was requested again by the Singhs, “ Maharaj Jee, you leaving the fort with the Sahibzade is the right course of action”. Hearing this Guru Jee said “which Sahibzade are you talking about , you are all my Sahibzade”. Everyone became speechless on hearing the love filled words of Guru Jee. It was a very emotional moment no one could speak.

Baba Ajit Singh jee broke the silence and requested Shaheedee, Guru jee gave his permission and blessing to go into battle. Maharaj Jee joyfully gave Thapee and said he was eager to watch his son in battle and he would become Nihal.

ਤਾਹਿ ਸਮੈ ਕਾਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਲੀਨੋ ਸਿੰਘ ਬੁਲਾਇ I
ਕਹੀ ਸਿੰਘ ਰਣ ਜੀਤ ਮੋ ਦੂਤਨ ਦੇਹੁ ਸਜਾਇ I
ਬਿਨਉ ਕਰੀ ਕਰਿ ਜੋਰਿ ਕੈ ਖੁਸ਼ੀ ਕਰਉ ਕਰਤਾਰ I
ਕਰਉ ਬੀਰ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਾਮ ਮੈਂ ਦੇਖਉ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਹਾਰ I ੨੯I ੪੯੮ I**

In Gurblias Patshai 10 it mentions words which no ordinary father would not say to his sons

"ਹੇ ਸੁਤ! ਤਮ ਹਮ ਕੋ ਹੋ ਪਯਾਰੇ I ਤੁਰਕ ਨਾਸ ਹਿਤ ਤੁਮ ਤਨ ਧਾਰੇ I
ਜੇ ਅਪਨੇ ਸਿਰ ਰਨ ਮੈਂ ਲਾਗੇ I ਤਾ ਕਰ ਨਾਸ ਮਲੇਛ ਸੁਭਾਗੇ I
ਤਾ ਤੇ ਯਾ ਸਮ ਸਮਾ ਨ ਕੋਈ I ਤੁਮ ਦੋਨਹੁ ਸੰਗਰ ਭਲ ਜੋਈ I"
ਅਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਬ ਕਰ ਅਰਦਾਸਾ I ਕਹਯੋ, "ਦੇਖੀਐ ਆਜ ਤਮਾਸਾ"II੨੯II***

Baba Ajit Singh after Ardas said “now watch the play (Thamasha)”

Baba Ajit Singh Jee goes to battle

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/9963/92069906.jpg

Guru Jee prepared 8 Singhs to go out with Baba Ajit Singh Jee, their names were

Bhai Mohkam Singh (One of the Panj Piare)
Bhai Ishar Singh Jee
Bhai Lal Singh Jee
Bhai Nand Singh Jee
Bhai Kesar Singh Jee
Bhai Deva Singh Jee
Bhai Keeratee Singh Jee
Bhai Mohar Singh Jee
(Note : The above names are given by Satbir Singh but other historians have mentioned different names, the only unchallenged name is of Bhai Mohkam Singh. Piara Singh Padam has proved the existence of Bhai Mohar Singh Jee, Bhai Deva Singh Jee and Bhai Keerat Singh Jee at this battle)

Bhai Ajit Singh Jee was only around 19 years old at the time of this battle.

When leaving the fort all the Singhs gave loud Jakarey. All the Singhs around Baba jee were feeling an extra lift because they felt proud to be under the Jathedaari of Baba Jee.
Baba Ajit Singh Jee was leading the Jatha and charged into the enemy, the army was taken back by the presence of Baba Jee. They couldn’t imagine any leader sending his son into battle for nothing other than Shaheedee. The enemy tried to surround Baba Jee but he pulled out his two bows and pierced the enemy with arrows. Baba Ajit Singh Jee challenged them and shouted out come and take me on who ever has the will

ਕਰੀ ਆਵਾਜ, ਅਬ ਆਉ ਅਰਮਾਨ ਜਿਹ ਸਕਲ ਦਲ ਦੇਖਿ ਦਉਰੇ ਅਪਾਰੋ I
ਘੇਰ ਚਹੂ ਦਿਸ ਲਿਯੋ ਆਨਿ ਤੁਰਕਾਨ ਨੇ, ਕਰਤ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਾਮ ਰਣ ਜੀਤ ਭਾਰੋ I੩੦I ੪੯੮ I**

Some had the courage to take on the challenge but all were left crying Allah! Allah!

ਲੇਤ ਪਰੋਇ ਪਠਾਨ ਕੋ, ਸਭਹਨ ਸਾਂਗ ਦਿਖਲਾਏ I
ਦੇਖਤ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਕਰਤ ਹੈਂ, ਅਰੇ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਖੁਦਾਇ I੩੮Iਪ੦੬I**

How long could the fight with arrows carry on? They soon were finished. The Singhs started to use their swords but Baba Jee kept using his Barsha. Baba Jee gave such an amazing display of swordsmanship that it left everyone saying Vahi Vahi

ਭਾਂਤਿ ਇਹ ਜੁਧ ਰਣਜੀਤ ਭਾਰੀ ਕੀਓ ਸਭੈ ਦਲ ਵਾਹਿ ਵਾਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਪੁਕਾਰੇ I
ਤਹਾਂ ਮਾਰ ਸਾਂਗਨ ਧਰੀ ਐਸੀ ਕਰੀ ਲੋਥ ਪਰ ਲੋਥ ਕੀਨੇ ਕਿਨਾਰੇ I**

As Baba Jee hit one of the Mugal Generals his barsha got stuck in the body of the General and could not be taken out. He then took out his talwar and kept fighting with this on horseback.
He was cutting the enemy to pieces truly like a game, what a Thamasha!

Eventually the 8 Singhs received Shaheedee. Baba jee just managed to escape a barsha blow from a Mogul sardar but it left his horse wounded. Baba Jee then went on to fight on foot. The way the talwar was moving is wonderfully described below in Sri Gur Sobha

ਟੂਟ ਕੈ ਸਾਂਗਿ ਦੁਇ ਟੂਕ ਹੁਇ ਭੁਈ ਪਰੀ, ਗਹੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ ਦਲ ਦਲ ਬਹੁਤ ਮਾਰੇ I
ਏਕ ਕੇ ਸੀਸ ਧਰਿ ਦੁਇ ਟੁਕਰੇ ਕਰੇ, ਦੁਇ ਕੇ ਸੀਸ ਧਰਤ ਕਰਤ ਚਾਰੇ I
ਭਾਂਤਿ ਇਹ ਪੂਰ ਪਰਵਾਹ ਦੀਨੇ ਕਈ, ਰਕਤ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਮੇ ਪਰੇ ਸਾਰੇ I**

Baba Ajit Singh Jee Attains Shaheedee

Seeing Baba Ajit Singh Jee alone and on foot, the enemy decided to attack all at once and eventually Baba Jee attained Shaheedee. Baba jee's focus was always in VahiGuru and he was doing Jaap of Naam until his last breaths

ਹਿਤ ਚਿਤ ਕੈ ਤਾਹੀਂ ਸਮੈ ਚਰਨ ਕਵਲ ਸੋ ਧਿਆਨ I
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਕਹਿਓ ਸਮੈ ਅੰਤ ਕੀ ਜਾਨ II੫੩II ੫੨੨ II**

Guru Gobind Singh Jee saw all the battle with his own eyes and shouted out a Jaykara at the Shaheedee of Baba Ajit Singh Jee and said the following

ਪੀਯੋ ਪਿਯਾਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਮ ਕਾ, ਭਯੋ ਸੁਮਨ ਅਵਤਾਰ I
ਆਜ ਖਾਸ ਭਯੋ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਦਰਬਾਰ II੨੫II***

Baba Ajit Singh Jee And the other Singh inflicted such great loss to the enemy that in Gurbilas Patshai 10 the figure of 2 lakh is given, this is difficult to verify but it shows it was a truly miraculous fight something out of this world.

“Wait for me Brother”

Seeing his elder brother receive Shaheedee Baba Jujhar Singh Jee shouted out proudly “Dhan Dhan” and said “wait for me brother I am coming too”

ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਅਸਿ ਤਾਈ I ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਕਰ ਮੁਖੋ ਅਲਾਈ I
ਮੈ ਤੁਮ ਭ੍ਰਾਤ ਸਦਾ ਸੰਗ ਜਾਨਾ I ਮੋ ਪਾਛੈ ਤਜ ਕਰਾ ਪਿਯਾਨਾ II***

Baba Jee realised his moment had come and ran towards Guru Jee and requested Shaheedee.

ਜਬ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਜੁਝਾਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਮਾ ਪਹੂਚਿਓ ਆਨ I
ਦੋਰਿਓ ਦਲ ਮੈ ਧਾਇ ਕੈ ਕਰ ਮੈ ਗਹੀ ਕਮਾਨ II੫੫II ੫੨੪II**

Guru Jee said "hold on! Wait a minute!"

Maharaj gave a hug, kissed Baba Jee’s forehead, sprinkled kesar on him and gave him a Shaheedee blessing. He prepared him as if he was going to get married. Baba Ajit Singh Jee was around 19 years old so most would presume that he could take care of himself but Baba Jujhar Singh Jee was barely into his teens(14years, 8 months & 17 days old) no ordinary Father could handle doing this.

Guru Jee then said now go were their is Jaas and ahead is Sukh, Lokh and Parlokh will honour you!

Guru Jee prepared Bhai Himat Singh Jee and Bhai Sahib Singh Jee from the Panj Piaray together with another 3 Singhs to go with Baba Jee.
Baba Jujhar Singh Jee focused deeply into Naam and took with him all Gurdev’s might and power into battle.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖ ਆਖੇ ਲਾਇ ਸੁ ਧਯਾਨ ਨੂੰ I ਚਲਯੋ ਯਾਨ ਮੰਝਾਰੀ, ਨਾਲੇ ਦੇਵਤਾ II***

Baba Jujhar Singh Jee goes to battle

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6320/jun5.jpg

Baba Jee and the Singhs went into this battle with the power of Iron. The battle once again heated up. Bodies and bodies were falling like dominos. The Mugals had mistakenly become over confident after the Shaheedee of Baba Ajit Singh Jee. They tried to surround the Jatha of Singhs with Baba Jee. However Baba Jee got hold of one the Barshey and started tearing the enemy apart.

ਬਰਛਾ ਲਗਾਵੈ ਜਾਹਿ ਲੇਤ ਹੈ ਪਰੋਇ ਤਾਹਿ I **

Baba Jujhar Singh Jee was moving his Khanda like a farmer cutting in his fields.

ਖੇਤ੍ਰ ਵਗਾਈ ਦਾਤਰੀ ਜਯੋਂ ਕਿਰਸਨੀਆ I***

The enemy was in astonishment and crying Allah! Allah! And were wondering how they could face such a warrior.

ਹੋਏ ਤੁਰਕ ਹੈਰਾਨੀ, ਕਰਦੇ ਯਾ ਅਲਾ I ਕੇਹੇ ਸੂਰ ਮਹਾਨੀ ਮੱਥਾ ਲਾਇਐ II***

The enemy slowly with great effort was trying to enclose Baba Jujhar Singh. Guru Gobind Singh Jee seeing them getting closer and closer started showering them with arrows from the roof of his fort. The encirclement broke and Baba Jee broke free to inflict even more damage.

Baba Jujhar Singh’s Shaheedee

How long could Baba Jee keep up this fight? He had already surpassed any other warrior’s feat in the hell of battle. Killing not hundreds but thousands! The enemy again tried to encircle Baba Jee on his own and eventually they succeeded in fulfilling Baba Jujhar Singh Jee’s wish of Shaheedee.

When Baba Jee fell the Sun fell too. Guru Gobind Singh indicates in Zafarnama that this is when the Battle stopped.

ਚਰਾਗ਼ਿ ਜਹਾਂ ਚੂੰ ਸ਼ੁਦਹ ਬੁਰਕਹ ਪੋਸ਼ ॥ ਸ਼ਹਿ ਸ਼ਬ ਬਰਾਮਦ ਹਮਹ ਜਲਵਹ ਜੋਸ਼ ॥੪੨॥*
When the lamp of the world (the Sun) had covered itself (had set), the
king of the night (the darkness) came out with all its glory (it
became pitch dark)

Rehras

When the Sun fell, Guru Gobind Singh and the remaining 10 Singhs did Sodar Dee Chaunkee. After Rehras Guru Jee sent 4 letters by arrows, one to each of the Mugal Generals. Warning them of the result of breaking their promises.

Guru Gobind Singh Jee was planning for the next day’s battle. The Singhs however were persuading Guru Jee to leave the fort but Guru Jee was not having none of this. The Singhs then decided to select Panj Piaray, Bhai Daya Singh lead the Panj and gave Hukam to Guru Jee to leave the fort. Guru Jee was obliged to obey the Khalsa but said he would not leave without a challenge to the enemy.

Guru Jee Leaves the Fort

Guru Gobind Singh Jee decided that 3 Singhs Bhai Daya Singh Jee, Bhai Dharam Singh and Bhai Maan Singh Jee would leave the fort with him. The other 7 Singhs would stay and take Shaheedee. Out of the 7 Singhs there was a Bhai Sangat Singh who looked very similar to Guru Jee, he was given Guru Jee’s Bana/kalgi and told to position himself on the roof so others would think Guru Jee is still at the fort. The 3 Singhs were told a place to meet if they survived the escape.

Guru Jee then went on top of the roof and blew the Narsinga, this caused havoc and confusion in the enemy they thought that the Singhs were coming out for an attack. Guru Jee made his escape in this confusion but still had the audacity to challenge the enemy on the way out. Not a single scratch or injury came to Guru Jee in this escape.

ਨ ਪੇਚੀਦਹ ਮੂਏ ਨ ਰੰਜੀਦਹ ਤਨ ॥ ਕਿ ਬੇਰੂੰ ਖ਼ੁਦ ਆਵੁਰਦ ਦੁਸ਼ਮਨ ਸ਼ਿਕਨ ॥੪੪॥*
And so without a scratch on my body or twist of my hair, Lord Himself
brought me out(of the Chamkaur siege) after destroying the enemy.

Final Shaheeds of Chamkaur

The enemy decided to attack the next morning instead of at night. All 7 Singhs came out fighting like lions. Their bravery has no bounds, the Singh were all repeating VahiGuru

ਕਹੈ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਦੂਸਰ ਅਉਰ ਨ ਆਸ I
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਕਹਿਓ ਸੰਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਜੇ ਸਾਸ II੬੯II
ਬਹੁਤ ਸੂਰ ਜੂਝੇ ਤਹਾਂ ਜੋਧਾ ਬਡੇ ਅਪਾਰ I
ਗਹਿ ਕਮਾਨ ਤਾਹੀ ਸਮੇ ਭਏ ਆਪ ਅਸਵਾਰII੭੦II ੫੩੯II**
(Note : Sainapat has written Sant Singh but he is referring to Sangat Singh)

Bhai Sangat Singh Jee gave such a display of might that the enemy thought it was Guru Gobind Singh Jee. Look at the power and strength given by wearing Guru Jee’s Bana!

Bhai Sangat Singh and the rest of the Singhs eventually took Shaheedee after causing carnage at the battle field. Bhai Sahibs Sis brought Guru Jee a few days respite because the enemy thought he was really Guru Jee.

The battle of Chamkaur will never be matched in history because it had so many hidden powers dictating the event it was truly watched over by the heavens.

Where will you find a battle in which an army of 1 million loses thousands of its soldiers by only 40 men?

Sources

* - Zafarnama by Sree Guru Gobind Singh Jee in 1705

** - Sri Gur Sobha by Sainapat completed in 1711

*** - Gurbilas Patshai 10 by Koer Singh completed in 1751

Date: February 15, 2010 09:30AM

Bibi Harsharan Kaur: The Final Shaheed of the Battle of Chamkaur
Adapted from Mahinder Singh ChachraaRee in Soora December 1997

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4885/bibiharsharankaur.jpg

In the battle of Chamkaur, Guru Gobind Singh jee and 40 starving Singhs battle the Mughal army. The battle which took place in Chamkaur’s mud fort lasted 72 hours and saw the loss of many Mughal soldiers and also 36 of Guru Gobind Singh jee’s companions along with the two Sahibzadas. Fighting an army of hundreds of thousands, Guru Gobind Singh jee gave an exhibition of his battle skills. Guru jee, following the orders of the Panth Khalsa (in the form of the Punj Pyaaray) left the fort along with Bhai Daya Singh, Bhai Maan Singh and one other Singh, after giving his clothes to Bhai Sangat Singh jee to wear. Only Bhai Sangat Singh and Bhai Sant Singh fought the battle to its end. They too were martyred. Seeing Guru jee’s clothes on Bhai Sangat Singh, the Mughals were ecstatic and taking him to be Guru Gobind Singh, cut off his head and took it to Delhi.

In every village it was announced that Guru Gobind Singh had been killed, “Look here at his chopped off head! His family is also finished. His two sons were killed in the battle and the two younger ones will also die abandoned. The revolution has been crushed. No one should go to the Chamkaur Fort. No one should cremate the dead Singhs.”

A tight cordon was put around the Fort. As the soldiers were going from village to village making their announcement, the people were retreating in terror into their homes. However, in village Khroond, a daughter of Guru Gobind Singh, Bibi Harsharan Kaur, asked for her mother’s permission to peform the final rites for the Shaheeds. Her old mother replied, “it is total darkness outside and soldiers are everywhere around the fort, how will you even go near?”

Hearing this, Kalgeedhar’s lioness daughter replied with resolve “I will avoid the soldiers and perform the cremation, and if need be, I’ll fight and die.”

The mother gave her courage and hugged her daughter and then explained the maryada to follow for the cremation. After performing Ardaas, Bibi Harsharan Kaur left for the Chamkaur Fort.

The battlefield which saw iron smashing against iron, the bellows of elephants, the trotting of hooves and calls of “Kill! Capture!”, was now totally silent and enveloped in complete darkness. In such a situation, the 16 year old girl Bibi Harsharan Kaur avoided the guards and arrived at the Fort. She saw that bodies were lying everywhere and distinguishing between Sikh and Mughal was very difficult. She still had faith and began to find arms with kaRas and torsos with kachheras and heads with long kesh. As she found a body, she would wipe the face of every shaheed. Both Sahibzadas and about 30 shaheeds were found and then she began to collect wood. Fearing the approaching light of dawn, Bibi Harsharan Kaur worked very quickly and soon prepared a pyre. She then lit the fire.

Seeing the rising flames, the guards were shocked and advanced towards the pyre. Bibi Harsharan Kaur was seen in the light of the flames sitting beside the pyre. She was quietly reciting Keertan Sohilaa. The guards were shocked and confused as to how a lone woman could come into the fort on such a dark night. The guards asked in a loud voice, “Who are you?!”

Bibi jee: I am the daughter of Guru Gobind Singh

Officer: What are you doing here?

Bibi Jee: I am cremating my martyred brothers.

Officer: Don’t you know about the order that coming here is a crime?

Bibi Jee: I know it.

Officer: Then why have you disobeyed that order?

Bibi Jee: The orders of a false king do not stand before the orders of the Sachay Patshah (True King)

Officer: Meaning?

Bibi Jee: Meaning that I have respect for the Singhs in my heart and with the Guru’s grace I have done my duty. I don’t care about your King’s orders.

Hearing such stern answers from Bibi Harsharan Kaur, the infuriated Mughal soldiers attempted to capture her and attacked. Bibi jee grabbed her kirpaan and fought back with determination. After killing and maiming many soldiers, Bibi Harsharan Kaur was injured and fell to the ground. The soldiers picked Bibi Harsharan Kaur up and threw her into the pyre, burning her alive.

The next day the cordon around the Fort was lifted because it was clear that the Sahibzadas and most of the Shaheed Singhs had been cremated. The ancestors of the Phulkiaan family, Rama and Triloka, then cremated whichever Singhs remained. The story of Bibi Harsharan Kaur reached Guru Gobind Singh jee Mahaaraaj in Talvandee Sabo (Damdama Sahib).

Upon hearing of her daughter’s martyrdom, the old mother thanked Akaal Purakh. She said, “my daughter has proven herself worthy.” The story of the cremation of the Chamkaur Shaheeds will forever serve as a glowing star of inspiration for all Singhs and Singhnees.

[Note: another version of Bibi Harsharan Kaur’s Shaheedee tells us that she was pierced by a Mughal lance and then thrown into the fire].

Date: February 15, 2010 09:42AM

Shaheedee of Young Sahibzadey Baba Zoravaar Singh Jee and Baba Fateh Singh Jee

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7095/fatehgarhsahib.jpg
Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib

The Shaheedee of the Young Sahibzadey has a special place in the hearts of the Sikh Qaum. This is inevitable as in every family the youngest attract the most affection, I suppose this is just human nature.

The uniqueness of this Shaheedee is that at young ages both Baba Zoraavar Singh and Baba Fateh Singh Jee did what most in the adulthood can not do. Akaal Purkh in this Shaheedee has displayed the greatness of Sikhee regardless of age and experience. There really could not have been any other path taken by the young Sahibzade other than the one they took.

Ever since this Shaheedee, Sikhs have always used this kurbanee to lift their faith. The terminology “Look at what the little Sahibzade did and you can’t even ...” has been used towards all generations and all principles of Sikhee.

The young Sahibzade’s Shaheedee has always been a soft spot for Sikhs and always will be. When Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Jee came to rally the Sikhs against the tyrants, he came virtually empty handed but he came equipped with one line, all he said was “Sirhind is calling you”. How could any one calling himself a Sikh not meet that call? Banda Singh Bahadur created an army within days. The khalsa not only defeated Sirhind but it destroyed it, every brick in the city was smashed. Such was the Joush of the Khalsa and the memory of the young Sahibzade.

Around 5000 Shaheed Khalsa were cremated there at what is now Fatehgarh Sahib. This Maha Asthaan has such a presence of Kala that you can’t help but feel it. The memory of those Shaheed Khalsa hits you so hard that you don’t want to leave such a place you cannot but admire the awe of such great history surrounding that place.

The Muslims of the Malerkotla region of Punjab were untouched in the riots of partition due to the role of the Nawab of Malerkotla in condemning this Shaheedee. This again demonstrated the affection of Sikhs towards the young Sahibzade.

Mata Gujree was alone with the young Sahibzade with out any other Sikh to help. Unlike the battle of Chamkaur there were no survivors from this Shaheedee Saka so it has made recording this Shaheedee difficult. Sources have been third parties and there are many discrepancies in detail. The name of Gangu Brahmin seems to have been introduced in writings of the 19th century. The actual Shaheedee method differs in many accounts. The Muslim historians writing in Farsi seem to be a bit biased and some have not even mentioned the Shaheedee, they don’t seem to be too proud of the fact that a Muslim killed children and I don’t blame them.

It is difficult to find the correct details of this Saka, most written accounts are from nearly half a century later. No mention of detail is given in Zafarnama or Sri Gur Sobha. However the main core of events and its lessons are the same. There is no denying that the young Sahibzade and Mata Gujree Jee were arrested because of treachery and greed, there is no denying that the young Sahibzade refused to convert to Islam and passed all the tests given to them and there is no denying that they were made Shaheed. Only unimportant detail is hard to verify it does not make a difference to the greatness of the Shaheedee.

Below I’ve tried to quote some extracts which readers might like to read. These are from two of the oldest sources which give some detail to this Shaheedee.

The first is Katha Guru Jee Ke Suthan Kee by Bhai Dhunaa Singh Honduria. Bhai Dhunaa Singh claims to be a contemporary of this Shaheedee Saka, he mentions that he was with the young Sahibzade up until Chamkaur. This account however seems to be written after 1760’s and therefore he must have been in old age at the time of writing. Like any historical document it also has some shortcomings. The hand written version of this was kept at the Sikh Reference Library under ref 6045 but was lost when the Indian Army attacked Darbar Sahib in 1984.

The second is from Gurbilas Patshai 10 written by Bhai Koer Singh completed in 1751. This account was written from the information given to Bhai Koer Singh by Shaheed Bhai Manee Singh Jee.

Extracts from Katha Guru Jee Ke Suthan Kee & Gurbilas Patshai 10
Presented by admin www.tapoban.org

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3652/sahibzade20.jpg

Katha Guru Jee Ke Suthan Kee

--- The two young Sahidzade refused to eat from the hands of the Masand Dhumaa from the village Seherhi( this village still exists today unlike Gangu’s village kherhi, but notice it sounds similar to Seherhi)

ਇਸ ਕਹਕੈ ਤਬ ਘਰ ਲੈ ਆਯੋ, ਭਈ ਰੈਣ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਕਰਾਯੋ I੧੯I
ਦੋਹਰਾ
ਲਹੇਰ ਕੀ ਰੋਟੀ ਕਰੀ, ਮਸਰੀ ਕੀ ਕਰੀ ਦਾਲ ਥਾਲੀ ਮਾਂਹਿ ਸੁ ਪਾਇਕੈ, ਲੈ ਆਯੋ ਤਤਕਾਲ I ੨੦ I
ਚੋਪਈ
ਸੋ ਰੋਟੀ ਐਸੀ ਕਰ ਲਯਾਯੋ, ਹਮਰੇ ਕਾਗ ਨ ਕੂਕਰ ਖਾਯੇ I

(The Masand out of greed stole their belongings at his house. After arguing with Mata Jee he forced them out of his house. This eventually led to the arrest of Mata Jee and the Sahibzade.)

--- After arrest they never felt any pain and Akaal Purkh gave them the determination

ਨਾਹਿ ਮੰਨੈ ਦੁਖ ਸੀਸ ਸਹੈਂ, ਦ੍ਰਿੜ੍ਹਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਆਪ ਦਈ ਤਿਨ ਆਏ I ੬੪ I

---The Nawab of Malerkotla speaks out and says don’t give these children pain they are innocent

ਖਮਚੀ ਸਾਥ ਜੁ ਲਗੇ ਤਬੈ ਦੁਖ ਦੇਵਨੰ ਏਹ ਸੁ ਬਾਲਕ ਫੂਲ, ਧੂਪ ਨਹਿ ਖੇਵਨੰ ਤਬ ਮਲੇਰੀਏ ਕਹਯੋ, "ਜੜਾਂ ਤੁਮ ਜਾਂਹਿ ਹੀ ਇਹ ਮਸੂਮ ਹੈਂ ਬਾਲ ਦੁਖਾਵਹੁ ਨਾਹਿ ਹੀ I ੬੫ I

---Below is the description of the torture and mind games played with the Sahibzade to make them bow. (Note : Chutey/liar is the name been given to Sacha Nand. Other old writings like Memha Prakash also write Chuta Nand instead of Sacha Nand).

ਚੋਪਈ
ਤਬ ਝੂਠੇ ਨੇ ਮਾਰ ਕਰਾਈ, ਕਬਹੂ ਊਠਾਲੈ ਕਬਹੂ ਬਿਠਾਈ ਤਬਹਿ ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਐਸੇ ਫੁਨ ਕਹੈ, ਮਸਤਕ ਸਨਮੁਖ ਟੇਕਹੁ ਅਹੈ I੬੮I
ਨਹਿ ਜਬ ਮਸਤਕ ਸਨਮੁਖ ਟੇਕਹਿੰ ਸਾਂਸ ਉਲਟ ਮੁੜ ਪਾਛੇ- ਪੇਖਹਿੰ ਬਹੁਰੋ ਕਹੀ ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਯਹਿ ਬਾਨੀ "ਦੋਖੋ, ਬਾਲਕ ਯਹ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ?I ੬੯ I
ਦੋਹਰਾ

They cut up a Cow and showed it to the Sahibzadey to scare them

ਗੋ ਬਧ ਕਰਕੇ ਲੈ ਆਇ, ਕਹੈ ਸੁ ਚਸ਼ਮੁ ਲੇਹੁ ਤੀਨ ਚੁਲੀ ਤੁਮ ਪੀ ਲੇਵਹੁ, ਅਵਰ ਸੀਸ ਮਹਿੰ ਲੇਹੁ I ੭੦ I

ਸੋ ਨਹਿ ਮਾਨਹਿ ਬਾਤ, ਬਹੁਤ ਕਸ਼ਟ ਦੁਸ਼ਟਨ ਦੀਆ ਦੰਤ ਫੜੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਣ ਘਾਸ, ਦੀਨ ਹੋਇ ਰੁਦਨੈਂ ਕਰੈਂ I੭੧I

--- Baba Fateh Singh jee said to his brother that all the 10 Gurus are here and watching them

ਜ਼ੋਰਾਵਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਐਸੇ ਭਨੈ, "ਕਿਉਂ ਭਾਈ! ਅਬ ਕਿਉਂਕਰ ਬਨੈਂ ਫਤੇ ਸਿੰਘ ਤਬ ਕਹਯੋ ਬਖਾਨ, "ਦਸ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹੀ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਹਾਨ" I੭੨I

---The Sahibzadey were in complete bliss, they kept doing Jaap of Naam while the tyrants kept saying recite the kalmaa

ਸੋ ਅਪਨੇ ਮੁਖ ਰਾਮ ਉਚਾਤ, ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਕਹੈਂ “ਕਲਮਾ ਜਪ ਮਾਨੀ” ਸੋ ਨ ਮੰਨੇ ਤਿਸ ਸੀਸ ਦਯੋ, ਜਿਮ ਤੇਗ਼ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਬਾਤ ਚਲਾਨੀ

Eventually in this Katha it says that Sis of both Sahibzadey were cut off with a Kataar.
It says that a Sikh by the name of Todar Mall went and told the news to Mata Jee, who then did Akaal Charee

Gurbilas Patshai 10

---The sahibzadey were wearing blue tops, their beautiful hands were handcuffed and their feet were chained.

ਨੀਲ ਝਗੁਰੀਆ ਤਨ ਮੈ ਕੈਸੇ I ਬਿਜੁਲੀ ਸਯਾਮ ਅਭ੍ਰ ਮੈ ਜੈਸੇ I ੨੨੬ I
ਕੋਮਲ ਅੰਗ ਹਥੋੜੀ ਹਾਥਾ I ਪਾਦ ਜੰਜੀਰ ਤਿਨੂ ਕੇ ਸਾਥਾ I ੨੨੭ I

---However when they were present in the court they were wearing Kesri( Some say Kesri symbolises Shaheedee )

ਕੇਸਰੀ ਅੰਗ ਪੌਸਾਕ ਮਹਾਬਰ, ਮੂਰਤ ਪੇਖ ਕਹੈ ਇਹੁ ਬਾਨੀ I

---The Sahibzadey were kept hungry for days but they did not show any discomfort. Although their fair and beautiful bodies were showing the lack of nourishment.

ਗੋਰ ਸਰੀਰ ਅਧੀਰ ਭਯੋ ਅਤਿ, ਦੁਖ ਪਯੋ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਨਉਚਾਰੇ I
ਸੂਕ ਗਏ ਅੰਗ ਯੌ ਤਿਨ ਕੇ, ਅਤਿ ਭੂਖ ਪਿਆਸ ਸਰੀਰ ਹੀ ਧਾਰੇ I

---The kazi was persauding the sahibzadey to embrace Islam and said Kafirs will go to hell. Baba Zoraavar Singh Jee in response said those that go against the will of Khudha are the real Kafirs!

“ਸੁਨਿ ਕਾਜੀ ਅਸ ਬੈਨ ਹਮਾਰੇ I ਨਹਿ ਕਾਫਰ ਜੋ ਆਪ ਸੁ ਮਾਰੇ I
ਕੀਤੀ ਬਾਤ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕੀ ਜੋਈ I ਜਾਇ ਮੇਟ ਕਾਫਰ ਅਤਿ ਸੋਈ I
ਜੋ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਢਾਹੈ I ਕਾਫ਼ਰ ਆਪ ਨਬੀ ਯੌ ਕਹਾ ਹੈ”I ੨੪੩ I

The Sahibzada said further, that “we are blessed to be born in the house of Guru Nanak and anything else is fruitless. We are eagerly awaiting our Shaheedee”. Hearing this the Kazi began to tremble in anger.

ਜੋ ਤਿਹ ਜਨਮ ਦੀਓ ਸੋ ਨੀਕੋ I ਔਰ ਸਭੈ ਲਾਗਤ ਹੈ ਫੀਕੋ I
ਮਰਨ ਯਾਹਿ ਤੇ ਭਲਾ ਨਿਹਾਰੈ I" ਯੌਂ ਸੁਨ ਕਾਜੀ ਕੋਪਤਿ ਭਾਰੈ II

---Eventually the Sahibzadey after many tortures attained Shaheedee by being bricked alive. This is the earliest account that gives this version of Shaheedee and the only one written in the 18th century.

ਦੇ ਕਰ ਦੂਖ ਬਹੁਤ ਅਧਿਕਾਏ I ਤਬ ਨੀਹੋ ਮੈ ਬਾਲ ਚਿਨਾਏ I
ਬਹੁਤ ਕਲੇਸ ਤੁਰਕ ਤਬ ਦੀਨਾ I ਮੁਖ ਸੇ ਨਾਹ ਉਚਾਰਨ ਕੀਨਾ I ੨੬੫ I

Date: February 15, 2010 09:54AM

The Battle of Muktsar – Shaheedee of the 40 Muktey
Taken from Guru Kian Sakhian by Saroop Singh Kaushish

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/739/mukstar1.jpg
Gurdwara Mukhstar Sahib

Jatha From Majha Goes To See Guru Jee

A Khalsa jatha representing Majha Sikhs decided to visit Guru Jee in Malwa after hearing the accounts of the Shaheedee of Sahibzadey and the other Guru Payeray. They were led by Bhai Bhag Singh, Bhai Sulthan Singh and Mata Bhag Kaur as a Jatha of 40. There intention was to persuade Guru Jee to halt his actions on the battle field as they had some contact with the Lahore/Delhi Darbar.

After many days searching they finally found where Guru Jee was resting. After greeting Guru Jee and the Sangat they were told to sit down on a sheet placed before them. Bhai Bhag Singh leading the delegation said to Guru Jee “ We can collectively from Majha arrange a permanent agreement with the Delhi regime. You will be able to live the rest of your life in peace and we can remain your sevaks”. Guru Jee on hearing this said “ Who are you to make an agreement, where were your ancestors(from Lahore) at the time of the Fifth Guru? Where was the Majha Sikhs at the time of the Sixth Guru when he was arrested and prisoned by Jahanghir. No one said anything at the shaheedee of the Ninth Guru. You never came when we were under siege for months at Anandpur. Why have you come now don’t you have any shame.”

Bhag Singh replied saying “Gareeb-Nivaz! If you want to stay like this then our Sikhee towards you can not be kept, we will go back.”

Guru Jee replied “Bhag Singh! We never called you here. Now that you are here, can we have it in writing that there is no GurSikh left in the land of Majha.”

Guru Jee told Maan Singh from the Majha Jatha to pull out some paper and ink from his sack. Guru Jee placed the ink and paper in front Bhag Singh and his Jatha. Bhag Singh was the first to sign, then Dilbhag Singh, Garbaaraa Singh and Ganda Singh signed the paper. The other members of the Jatha lowered their heads, they did not sign the paper but were in two minds as what to do.

At this point a Sikh came and told Guru Jee that the enemy forces were nearing and that they should move from here. Guru Jee told Maan Singh and other Jatha members to go as he needed to make preparations for battle.

Mata Bhag Kaur Makes Her Stand

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5739/maibhagokaur.jpg

After Guru Jee left, Mata Bhag Kaur who was Bhag Singh’s and Dilbhag Singh’s older sister and Nidhan Singh’s wife said to the whole Jatha “We’ve already had Dhunee Chand running away with 4-5 Majha Singhs from fort Anandgad bringing shame to us from Majha which is bad enough. Now we have written this letter in front of Guru Jee, with what face can we go back to our homes.

Mata Jee further said “ What will our own say when we get back, have you had darshan of Guru Jee? People will mock us, how will we be able to go outside our homes? Wake up Lions! Rise up, Guru Sahib is merciful, he will forgive us, lets get ready. Mata Jee stood up and ignited the fire in their hearts.

Seeing this Bhai Bhag Singh and the rest of the 40 Sikhs tightened their Kamarkasey and set off in help of Guru Jee. They began their flight with “Sat Sree Akaal” shouts and then mounted on their horses.

They eventually reached a water reservoir, the enemy forces were heading towards this direction. They started to make preparations for the oncoming battle.

Guru Jee was on the other side of the water reservoir positioned on top of a hill. An agent of Sirhind came in search of Guru Jee. Seeing him Guru Jee hit him with an arrow.

The Battle Begins

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6822/maibhago.jpg

Wazir Khan with his army had reached the reservoir they were met with arrows from the Jatha of Khalsa. No one advanced for a while a battle of Guns and arrows took place. When the arrows and bullets finished the Khalsa took out their Khandey and Kirpana and advanced towards the enemy shouting “Sat Sree Akaal”. Smoke was being seen on the battle, iron was hitting iron. The Khalsa made the enemy remember Alaah.

The battle continued until no Khalsa was seen standing, the enemy then decided to retreat. The Sun had already set, Guru Jee was on his way to see Maan Singh and the rest of the Jatha at the bank of the reservoir.

Guru Jee ordered to pick up the body of Bhai Maan Singh first as he was the furthest Shaheed that went into the enemy. Guru Jee cleaned Bhai Maan Singh’s face with his Rumal and said he is a Sava Lakhee(125000 Fighter). Guru Jee personally went to all the Shaheed Khalsa and did the same, calling some Das Hazaree(10000 fighter), some Bees Hazaree(20000 fighter), some Panjah Hazaree (50000 fighter) depending on how far they had gone into the enemy.

Out of all the Sikhs four were still alive Bhai Rai Singh(relative of Shaheed Manee Singh), Bhai Sunder Singh, Bhai Maha Singh. Guru Jee personally was giving them water and cleaning them. The fourth was Mata Bhag Kaur who was lying near a tree. She had a bullet wound on her arm but was still doing Jaap of VahiGuru . Bhai Maan Singh and the other Shaheed’s bodies were all brought in front of Guru Jee.

Guru Jee then asked Mata Bhag Kaur “what is your wish? Mata Jee replied “Maharaj! With your grace I am fine, I have only one injury nothing else.

The Bedava is Torn

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9823/bedavaatearing.jpg

Guru Jee then asked the other three Sikhs “what is your wish?” out of the three Bhai Rai Singh spoke and said “Gareeb-Nivaz! If you are happy with us then please tear the Panchiat letter from us and bless us with Sikhee Dhaan”

Guru Jee said “Dhan Sikhee, Dhan Sikhee, Dhan Sikhee” three times. He took out the letter and tore it to shreds. Guru Jee stayed with all these Sikhs all night and shared Bachan Bilas with them. The first to attain Shaheedee from them was Bhai Sunder Singh and then the other two Singhs became Shaheed.

This Saka happened on samat 30th Poh 1762 (BK). Guru Jee gave all the Shaheeds the title of Muktey. He named this reservoir Isharsar Muktsar.

After the night, Sree Asaa Dee Vaar(this is the way it is written in this account) was done at Amrit Vela. Guru Jee asked Bhai Dhaan Singh to get some Ghee, Flour and Sugar. Degh of thrihaval was prepared. Ishnaan of all the Shaheed Khalsey was done and the bodies were then placed on a pile of wood. Guru Jee himself recited Sohila Paath and afterwards stood up and did Ardas. GurSikhs shook the Skies with their shouts of “Sat Sree Akaal”. Guru Jee with blessings of VahiGuru lit the fire with his own hands. Degh was then distributed amongst the sangat.

Guru Jee started a divan in memory of the Shaheeds, in this he told the Sikhs that “These 40 Muktey have given their heads for dharam / righteousness and have achieved high status. Today is the Sangrand of Magh whichever Sikh does Ishnaan in this Mukhat pool on this day will receive the same benefit as doing Ishnaan of Aatsat Thirat. All day Guru Jee sat in this Divan and gave Bachan Bilas. When night came the GurSikhs sat near where the funeral pyre was lit.

Next morning at Amrit Vela Sree Asaa Dee Vaar was done and afterwards Bhai Dhaan Singh and the others covered the place of cremation with sand. The Hukam was then given to move on. Some locals came to meet Guru Jee and the Sangat. Guru Jee told them that after we have gone do not move or touch the place where the Shaheeds have been cremated, cover it up to a noticeable high level. You will receive blessings in doing this seva. One day a Sikh of mine will come and will make this place a Shaheedee Asthan. From now on my Sikhs will remember these 40 Mukhtey twice daily in their Ardas.

Date: June 01, 2010 03:06PM

The Day 30 000 Sikhs Were Killed
Taken from “Khalsay Di Vasi” by Pr. Satbir Singh

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3658/vadaghaludhara.jpg

Introduction

Sikh history is filled with martyrdom and martyrs. The Sikhs have produced every type of martyr. There is the shahadat of young Baba Fateh Singh and the elderly Baba Deep Singh. In those days, there were a total of 18 ways used to kill the Sikhs. The following are some examples:

1) Boiled alive in a pot
2) Being made to sit on hot iron plates
3) Having the skin ripped off
4) Being cut, piece by piece
5) Being scalped
6) Beheading
7) Being broken on the wheel

These methods were used from 1716 until 1763. There are so many amazing episodes in Sikh history. There are those days when Sikhs fought hundreds of thousands in batches of five and ten. The 22nd of December 1704 is a witness to this.

Those days also came when Sikhs were killed in the thousands. The 5th of February, 1762 is one such day when 30 000 Sikhs were killed. We remember that day as the “Vada Ghalughara.”

From Nadar Shah to Abdali

Nadar Shah, in 1739 hit the Mughal power in Delhi so hard that it would never stand again. In Punjab, three powers were fighting for supremacy: The Mughals were trying to maintain their slipping power; the Afghans wanted to annex Punjab to Kabul; and the Sikhs were fighting to ensure that Punjab never fell to any foreign power. With Nadar Shah’s attack, the struggle became all the more intense.

After Nadar Shah returned to Afghanistan, a new period of oppression came for the Sikhs. But just as the Sikhs were oppressed, they continued to grow in strength. Special armies were created with the sole purpose of hunting Sikhs. There were prices on the heads of Sikhs and the rates would change like a commodity. At one point the rate went as high as Rs. 80. But the government did not know that just as a rose bush prospers when it is trimmed, the Sikhs grow when faced with adversity.

After the Chhota Ghalughara or “Smaller Genocide” in which 10 000 Sikhs were killed, the world saw that on Vaisakhi Day, 1748, the Singhs did a Gurmatta that they would fight every invading force with all their strength. They declared that Punjab was theirs and they were the Sardars of the land.

This was the scene when Abdali was about to invade and news reached the Sikhs.

Abdali’s Background

Ahmed Shah Abdali was associated with the Sadzai area. The people of that area were called “Abd-Ali” which soon became “Abdali”.

The Afghans tried to revolt against Nadar Shah but they were defeated and severely punished. He imprisoned many Afghans. Amongst the prisoners were two brothers: Zulfikar and Ahmed. Zulfikar was killed in a fight with the Galzais but Ahmed was able to win Nadar Shah’s confidence with his intelligence. Nadar Shah told his desires openly: “I have not found a more capable person than Ahmed Abdali in Iran, Turaan or Hind. No one’s character matches his.”

Nadar Shah was murdered in June 1747 by conspirators and the Afghans unanimously made Abdali their leader and gave him the title “Durrani Emperor.” Abdali began to repeatedly invade Punjab.

From 1748 to 1761, Abdali attacked Hindustan via Punjab five times. The fifth invasion was only to fight the Marhatthas. The Marhattas were in total control over Delhi and thinking of taking Punjab. In the Third Battle of Panipat, Abdali badly defeated them. On January 13, 1761 after his victory, Abdali began his return and in March as he moved through the Punjab, the Sikhs took their share of his booty and pursued him all the way to the Attock River (in the Northwestern Frontier).

Taking Lahore

Now in the Punjab, only two powers remained: the Afghans and the Sikhs. Because Abdali had returned to Kabul, the Sikh were in effect the rulers of Punjab. Abdali’s designated governors, Khawaja Mirza Khan, Aabad Khan, Sadat Khan and Sadak Khan Afridi were not able to control the Sikhs. Ahmed Shah sent Nur-Ud-Din to fight the Sikhs. Chhart Singh Sukherchakia defeated him and forced him to flee. Lahore’s governor, Aabad Khan also fled.

The Sikhs, under Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia seized Lahore and issued coins of “Deg Teg Fateh Nasrat Bed Rang. Yaaft Az Nanak Guru Gobind Singh”.

To incite Abdali, the defeated Afghans and Aakal Das Naranjaniya sent the coins to Kabul. Ahmed Shah began to prepare to defeat the Sikhs.

On October 27, 1761 the Sikhs had passed a Gurmatta at Sri Amritsar that they would destroy the forces that opposed them. Aakal Das was asked to repent his sins against the Sikhs but instead of being subdued he called on Abdali. Abdali met Aakal Das’s messenger at Rohtas (West Punjab). The Sikhs too heard of Abdali’s arrival.

Abdali’s Attack

The Sikhs focused their attempts on taking their families to safety. Bhai Sangu Singh, Baba Ala Singh’s representative, Bhai Sukh Singh and Bhai Buddha Singh of Kaithal were giving the Sikhs directions. The Sikhs and their families began to gather in Malerkotla. Malerkotla’s Nawab, Bhikan Khan called on Zain Khan for help.

Ahmed Shah arrived in Lahore on February 3, 1762. The Sikhs estimated that it would take him 10 days to arrive and by then their families would be safe. But the Sikhs were taken by complete surprise when on February 5th, Abdali arrived with 10 000 soldiers and began his slaughter.

Giani Gian Singh writes that the Singhs had not even tied proper dastaars for battle. They quickly tried to mobilize to fight but the first attack had cost thousands of lives. The Sikh families, with the elderly and children were under attack and Sardar Jassa Singh Ahluwalia managed to surround the families with a wall of Sikh fighters. The strategy was to try to keep moving and fight at the same time.

Sardar Chhart Singh proposed that the individual Misals fight under their own banners but Sardar Jassa Singh replied, “Don’t even think of such a thing. We will not allow the Misals to be divided. We will stand together and protect the Panth.”

The convoy slowly moved towards Barnala. The Singhs tried to protect the families in the centre of their convoy but were suffering serious losses. But Abdali was taken aback by the ferocity of the Sikh defence. He asked his companions about the Sikhs and just like Nadar Shah had once praised the Sikhs, Abdali too was forced to say, “We will never destroy them. First the Mughals killed them. Then we killed so many. We have made every effort to finish them but they are still growing.”

A Second Attack

Abdali asked his commanders to intensify the attack. They attacked with 8000 soldiers. Countless Singhs were martyred. The wall around the convoy was broken and the families once again fell under the Afghan sword. Abdali wanted to go into the middle of the convoy and inflict such a horrible blow that the Singhs would never rise again. The Singhs however were trying to regroup. The Misal Sardars were all united and all the Singhs were fighting together regardless of their affiliation. The way the Singhs were able to once again form the wall and continue moving is a glorious moment in not just Sikh history but of battle strategy in general. Even Abdali was compelled to praise them. In whatever direction the Singhs would focus their attack, the enemy was forced to flee.

Zain Khan advised Abdali that it was impossible to surround and kill the Sikhs now. They were few but they were fighting desperately and much beyond their numbers.

Sd. Jassa Singh Ahluwalia, Sd. Sham Singh, and Sd. Chhart Singh all fought remarkably. Sd. Jassa Singh just managed to save himself on many occasions. The Afghans continued to try to break the Singhs’ wall and get to the families. The convoy moved a total of 10 miles.

The Wall Breaks and Massacre

Finally however, Abdali managed to break the Singhs away from the families and began to mercilessly slaughter the Sikh women, children, and elderly. Giani Gian Singh writes that there literally was a river of blood that began to flow. The Sikhs managed to travel 20 miles by the time night fell. Abdali and his solders were all tired from the 150 mile journey that had made and the entire day of fighting. The Afghans reached village Kuttub and began to drink water from the village’s pond. An amazing sight was to be seen: on one end of the pond the Afghans were quenching their thirst and on the other, the Sikhs. A battle took place at this place as well.

The Sikhs continued moving through the night and reached Barnala. This event is remembered as the “Vadda Ghalughara” and various sources confirm that 30 000 Sikhs were martyred that day. This was a massive blow to the Sikhs as almost half of their numbers had been destroyed.

Historians and observers were all amazed at the Sikh reaction to this tragedy. In May 1762, the Sikhs surrounded Zain Khan in Sirhand and were ready to fight again. After such a great loss, the Sikhs remained thankful to God. The Sikhs did an ardaas, “Sachay Patshah! The weak and irresolute have all been shed. All that is left is the Tat Khalsa and we will be able to handle this situation ourselves.”

There was not even one Sardar who was not injured in this battle. Sd. Jassa Singh had a total of 22 wounds.

Aftermath

The Sikhs did indeed handle the situation now. Historians like the Marhattha Bapu and Tamhimsap Maskin write that the Sikh strength was growing day by day and they began to attack the outskirts of Lahore.

The account “Tarikh-e-Sultane-Afghan” writes of one incident: Abdali was in his fort across the Satluj smoking the Hukkah when one Sikh came before him and attacked. The Sikh was killed by an arrow on the spot but Ahmed Shah decided he could no longer stay in Punjab and turned back to Afghanistan.

Three months after the Ghalughara, the Sikhs defeated the Afghans at Amritsar and used the Afghan prisoners to clean the Sarovar and surrounding premises they had defiled.

The Sikhs celebrated Divali that year at Sri Amritsar. The Sikhs had suffered a great loss but they now had such power that no one could even look towards the Punjab again.

Date: June 01, 2010 03:09PM

Bir Ras and Shahidi of Baba Paroz Jee
Taken from “Poorab Janam Kay Milay Sanjogi” by Prof. Thakur Singh

Introduction

Baba Paroz was a Sikh during the time of Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib jee. Baba jee’s village, Sarli, was in the Amritsar area. Guru Hargobind Sahib had come to the villages in this area to do parchaar and had left Baba Gurditta jee to head the sangat. Baba Gurditta jee not only did Sikhi parchaar but also taught shastar vidiya and the Sikhs in this area became warriors. Baba Paroz jee was one of the leaders of the Sikh sangat.

Problems With the Ranghars

One day the Sikhs had gathered and were talking amongst each other when the issue arose that the Muslim Ranghars of the area considered themselves the Masters of the land and whenever they would have a wedding, they would order all the local farmers to bring them milk. The Sikhs decided that this was an affront to their honour and a sign of slavery. They decided to throw off this slavery even if it cost them their lives. The Sikhs decided to ask Baba Paroz to lead them in this effort.

The Muslim Ranghars of village Bhorchhi used to allot land to the local farmers and used to put a tax on them as well. The next time the Ranghars demanded milk for a wedding, the Sikhs were ready. Baba jee took two clay pots and filled them with dung and poured a little bit of milk over top of them. Baba jee had the two pots sent to the Ranghars and told the Sikhs of the area to be ready.

The Battle

When the Ranghars received the pots and saw the contents, they were enraged. They were furious that someone had tried to resist them and dishonour them in this way. They completed their marriage ceremony but after, the gathered all their wedding guests and the Muslims of the area and began to march towards Baba Paroz’s dera with shouts of “Ali! Ali!”

Baba jee and the Sikhs of the area had gathered and were awaiting the attack. When they heard the Ranghar mob approach, they charged out shouting jaikaray and the battle began. The warriors on both sides took their positions and began to exchange blows. The Ranghars had brought all the Muslims of the area with them and the Sikhs were much less in number but they were all prepared to sacrifice their lives. They had begun the battle with no hope of living and were just waiting for the moment of Shahidi. This spirit of sacrifice in the Sikhs was making their attacks exceedingly fearless and deadly before which the Ranghars were having trouble holding their ground.

The battle continued for three to four hours and the Ranghars slowly began to move back. The Sikhs were encouraged even more now and doubled the vigor of their attack. The Sikh attack pushed the Ranghars back half way to their home village of Bhorchhi.

Shahidi

Though the Sikhs were close to victory, Baba Paroz became surrounded by the Ranghars and was mortally wounded. Rivers of blood began to gush from his wounds. Baba jee roared a jaikara and began to swing his Sri Sahib. He shouted challenges at the Ranghar army and charged forward. Seeing Baba jee’s terrifying figure, drenched in blood and running forward while swinging his kirpan, the Ranghars were horrified. How could a man so badly injured still be alive let alone charging after them? They were so afraid that they turned their backs and began to run towards their village.

Satguru jee’s power was coursing through Baba jee's body now and he ran after the fleeing Ranghars. Baba jee pursued them to the edge of Bhorchhi. The women of the village were standing on top of their houses and seeing this scene, shouted desperately, “Baba! Please forgive them now!”

Baba jee heard this and stopped there. His body collapsed to the ground and he became a Shahid. The other Sikhs also reached the spot and picked up Baba jee’s body to bring it back to the village. The entire area heard of Baba jee’s bravery and the miracle that had taken place and came to his saskaar.

The Ranghars had heard that Guru Hargobind Sahib had turned the Sikhs into warriors but now they knew first hand. After some days, they sent a message to the Sikhs that from now on they would treat them not as servants but as brothers and would never try to battle them again.

Today there is still a small puraatan platform at village Bhorchhi where Baba jee was Shahid and a Gurdwara at village Sarli where he was cremated.

Baba jee was an ancestor of Bau Mal Singh jee.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib