Sadh Sangat Jee,

I have heard that if one can do the following paaths:

Either:

(1) 5 Sukhamani Sahib paaths per day

or

(2) 32 mala of Mool Mantar paaths per day

or

(3) 25 Jaapji Sahib paaths per day

Then in a few years time (I not sure the exact time frame) then one can become a brahimgianni. Is this true? Also I have heard that the above routine is actually Mahapurash's da maryada. Any comments.

Re: Becoming a Brahimgianni
Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 05:28AM

You can do how much paath you want but you're only accepted at the True Court if you've done meditation on God's name and earned the wealth of it.

The paaths above are to help your naam meditation. They will increase your concentration and also attach you to naam, so that you and naam become one.

Posted by: Jagjit Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 07:12AM

I have never heard of any mahapurshs da marydada. There is alot of wild claims, which if one considers, one notices, is just exaggerated talk.

There is only the Sikh rehat maryada.

Follow the Sahib Siri Guru Granth sahib sincerely and you can never go wrong. But this counting paaths and baanis, and expecting results is misleading. Guru maharajs blesses his Gursikhs as he sees fit.

One God: Waheguru
One Guru : Sahib Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
One Group : Guru Khalsa Panth!

This should be the Motto of Our Generation

Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 07:41AM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

That seems like 2-3 century old maryada but since last century all you need to be a Brahgianni is to have following maryada:

1. Spot less white sadh style chola with spotless white or in some cases blue round turban.

2. Know how to twist the meaning of Gurbani in ones favor especially the pankti contains SANT or Brahamgainni word.

3. One dholki, Vaja and some chimtay with few companians who do not needed to know even who wrote the sri Japji sahib.

4. Needed few bibiyan (needed just initaily) for matha tek.

ਬਸ ਫੇਰ ਬੱਲੇ ਬੱਲੇ ਬਾਕੀ ਸਭ ਥੱਲੇ ਥੱਲੇ

We think who ever will follow this maryada he will a Brahamgainni in few months or days. The proof is today's SANT Corporation. No one in them beleives that he is lesser Brahmgianni than other in any manner. 108, 1008, 10008, 100008 up to infinty Vaday Vaday Mahapurakh, Brahmgianni.

ਪੰਥ ਹੁਣ ਤਰੱਕੀਆ ਤੇ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Posted by: harveen_singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 08:45AM

sorry veer but i totally disagree.
as gurbani states parh parh gadee ladyeai parh parh paryeai saath.
whats the point of just doing so much paath if you won't even lead your life according to one pankti. if gurusahib wants to do kirpa then it can only take a sec. jus like that, but if guru sahib doesnt than u can try as hard as u want.
don't do vaim with numbers. do that much so your mann gets shaant, don't keep on doin paath as a burden, so you won't even concentrate.

Posted by: lowest of the low singhni (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 10:02AM

I heard if you're still counting the number of Paaths you do a day, you're not becoming a Brahmgiani any time soon.

I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Sardar Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 11:13AM

If someone starts off by saying "I will do X number of paaths" I don't think it's a bad thing at all. The impact of having a routine in spiritual practice is very big. If you have a routine for amrit vela and a routine for paaths, it will stick and you'll notice differences.

I think as you move on, and you are doing these multiple paaths, you'll start seeing and feeling the results (once again, this takes time. Maybe even years). When you start feeling the results then it goes beyond a number. You start to do more than you had initially set as your target.

Further, the quote "parh parh gaddee ladeeiai" does not apply here. This is not some ordinary book. This is gurbani and I can guarantee that if you repeat it, it will have an effect.

Now whether this will make you a brahmgyani is a totally different question. Jot Vigaas is through naam only and so maybe doing all that paath will drive you to jap naam and then it will become possible.

Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: November 05, 2007 12:25PM

lowest of the low singhni is right Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that.

Posted by: 00Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2007 05:08AM

Khalsa Spirit, I feel your post is inappropriate. To assume that there is a Sant Corporation going on is incorrect. While I agree that some people exploit the Sant status it does not mean you take a stance whereby you declare all people in such a position as false! Do you not ever read Sukhmani Sahib Paath?

If you have ever been in the presence of a Puran Sant then you know you are in the presence of someone special - it's not something that can be described but only experienced.

In my personal experience Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji could be called a Sant, they had so much Gian and Kamai yet due to the humility they did not adopt the title, but Puran Gursikhs like Bhai Sahib Ji are not a thing of the past, they are still here with us and definitely do exist.

Final point Khalsa Spirit, to recognize the vitues of a Saint, you must be Saintlike yourself, else you do not know what to look for.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

Das.

Posted by: Mehtab Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2007 08:16AM

At the end of the day, its all in Gurujee's hands, isn't it? He can make dirt into gold, Kauda Rakshas into devta, what can't He do! If we do Ardas sincerely, what won't He bless us with?

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2007 10:24AM

This is a very tough question. One thing is for sure that this daat of Brahmgyaan is not something we can claim our right on. It’s not a right but a privilege. No one can claim that one has done so much paath and therefore one should get darshan. This is the daat of Vaheguru and it is his marzee (will) and he alone knows when and how he will give darshan. Please ponder upon the following pankiti:

IH PIRAM PYAALA KHASSAM KA, JAI BHAAVAE TAI DEY||
(This divine drink of his darshan is such that to whom he himself gives gets this gift).

Having said the above, we also hear in Gurbani that if one Japps Naam according to pooran Jugat (technique) blessed by the True Guru and if one leads one's life according to his will, he (Vaheguru) cannot resist coming to his Bhagat.

GUR GUR KARAT SHARAN JE AAVAE, PRABH AAYE MILAI KHINN DHEEL NA PAYEEAA||
(If one comes to his Sharan uttering “Guru Guru” (short form of the Gurmantra), Prabhu Vaheguru comes to such bhagat and does not delay even one moment).

I personally believe that there comes a stage and a state when one does not count how much paath one is doing and how much simran one is doing. Who can count “Ajappa Jaap”? But by the same token, in initial states, it’s beneficial to do 25 Siri Jap jee Sahibs or 5 Siri Sukhmani Sahibs or other baanis that take at least 10th part of the total time i.e. 2-3 hours of Gurbani paath along with strong amritvela. Paath of Gurbani cannot be dismissed like some veers have mentioned above. Gurbani says it clearly that the daat of Naam comes to those individuals who indulge heavily in Gurbani:

Ratna Ratan Padarath, Bahu Sagar bhariya Raam||
Baani Gurbani laagai, tinn hath chariya Raam||
(The ocean (of Parmarath) is full of jewels of Naam and only those, who indulge in Gurbani get their hands on this treasure).

I believe that doing paath by counting and with discipline is the start and then comes the stage when one does not count paath anymore but just keeps on doing paath paath and more paath. They do simran, simran and more simran. Their minds only long for Darshan. It seems logical that Vaheguru would give them darshan.

Daas
Kulbir Singh

Posted by: Xylitol (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2007 12:22PM

Kulbir Singh ji is spot on. the point of counting paaths is b/c the mind is chanchal, if you don't count you may do half as much the next day but your mind will say you've done the full amount. anytime we want to achieve anything we must set targets for ourselves.

to the veer above, if you want to become bhramgyani, it takes lifetimes, but it's the goal of life to become one with God. i recommend you slowly increase your paaths/simran and not all at once b/c this makes it a more sustainable change. to make a huge jump all at once sometimes causes a person to tire out and than after a few days they can't do that much paath anymore. in end, kirpa of Guru ji is required to attain any avastha, but of course, we must make efforts.

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2007 03:00AM

There are infinite things on the way to Waheguru jee. Though one can achieve a pretty high avastha by japping loads of Naam and Bani but brahamgiyan is a very special daat and very very few people have it. I think its all about poorble karam. One needs to have a very very very strong poorable kamayee and then appar kirpa of Satguru Jee to become a brahamgyani

Posted by: Mehtab Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2007 01:15PM

I agree with Bhai Kulbir Singh ji. Mahapurakhs like Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale used to do 101 paaths of Japji Sahib per day. Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Jee Khalsa Bhindranwale used to do 151 paaths of Japji Sahib per day (all this is as stated by Gyani Thakur Singh ji). Those who say "What is the use", should try 11 Japji Sahibs per day for a month and see the difference. I canNOT do 10% of this much, but I would rather bow before the avastha of these mahapurakhs rather than argue. These Mahapurakhs were not kidding, nor can we say that they were "vellay" so they did this much paath. It does make a difference. Some so-called "Sikh scholars" argue by saying "If Waheguru simran alone was important, why did Gurujee uchaaran so much Gurbani thats in Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee". Or "If only Japji Sahib was to be recited so much, why did Gurujee have to recite the remaining Bani?". Or "If only Sukhmani Sahib was to be recited so many times, why did Gurujee have to recite the remaining Bani?". These are the people who probably haven't recited any Bani even once. They just listen to twisted logics and read misleading books and lose the plot.

By the way I didn't really read the above posts in detail, so please don't think I am attacking anyone's post or opinion as I didn't look into them. I am just stating what I feel. Please correct me wherever you feel I am wrong, and forgive me if anything said offends anyone as I didn't intend to.

bhull chukk maaf

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib