ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

addressing proper dress in gurdwara
Posted by: malton (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2007 09:20AM

I would like to appraoach the local gurdwara committess in regards to women's dress, in particular. I would like advice in how to approach this to them, and any suggestions as to what steps can be taken.

A possible solution would be to put signs at entrances kindly asking women to follow proper dress standards, and that those who dont will be asked to leave kindly.

My question though, is this something that i should even take up? Ive talked to some people, who have told me its none of my business, and that i should just ignore them. However, how do i ignore it as i only see the problem getting worse. Though they only go once a week, christian women wear proper clothing to church, and its rare to a see a muslim lady wearing improper clothing at a mosque.

its possible we are catering too much people in not 'offending' anyone, and, quite possibly, the $ the gurdwara will lose if we somehow lose sangat.

a new style is going sleevless, low necks, tight fitted clothing (especially jeans and shirts), and jackets that dont have a bottom (almost like a halter top with sleeves and a hood). Its my belief that the situation will only get worse, as society itself is showing

Any suggestions, objections??

Re: addressing proper dress in gurdwara
Posted by: Death (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2007 12:17PM

You're right, though, girls and older women do dress inappropriately. Actually, the right word would be disgustingly. They clearly see nothing in Guru Granth Sahib ji when they walk into his house and do an empty metha tekh to Guru Ji.

It shows how blind people are, spiritually, that they have not accepted Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Hukam as Guru Granth Sahib Ji being the next alive and True Guru. This is the respect they give to Guru Sahib Ji.

Anyway, you can attempt to make the move, but a row could start - these are Kalyug's people, and in Kalyug's world there is bound to be trouble by his people. Some may not agree and still come into the gurudwara ignoring the sign.

It's best to make an attempt, because at least you know you tried and so you won't regret not trying to or anything.

Remember Vaheguru Ji does what pleases him, never us.

Posted by: Xylitol (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2007 09:12PM

put up a sign. a very busy gurdwara nearby has a sign saying something like 'ladies no sleevless shirts please'

Posted by: Harinder Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 07, 2007 10:13PM

People who wear gandde kappre while doing darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj need a severe beating to say the least. But the reality is that almost all our gurdwaras are under the control of weak and selfish people who find it tough to control their own women and daughters. I guess we need to wait for Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj to give His power to His pakka Naam jappan wala Khalsa in order to settle this issue.

Posted by: Bundha (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2007 01:35AM

I agree with Death, you should at least make an attempt, be polite but firm. A sign is a good idea.

Infact include men as well in the rebuke else you will be attacked for picking on the bibi's only.

Posted by: Gurnit Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2007 06:34PM

Yea, include men. The tupac shirts are extremely annoying. We don't need gangsters in the Gurdwara.

Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2007 06:28AM

Few years ago, Delhi Gurdwara Committee issued a circular asking women to wear appropriate clothing at Gurdwara Sahibaan. It would be advisable if you take up this issue with the committee and with their cooperation do something about it. The main reason why Bibiyaan and men wear inappropriate clothing to Gurdwara Sahib is that they are ignorant about this issue. They don't know anything better. The fact that they come to Gurdwara shows that they have some thirst for spirituality. If the committees act professionally and tactfully, this issue can be resolved easily. Here are some suggestions:

1) If possible, Gurdwara committees of the area should hold a meeting and jointly take an action to curb inappropriate clothing at Gurdwara Sahib.

2) Putting up written signs about wearing appropriate clothing to Gurdwara Sahib is a good idea.

3) Siyaanay Kathakaars can be used to bring up this issue with sangat. If a Kathakaar explains the importance of wearing sato-guni and Gurmukhi attire at Gurdwara Sahib, majority of people would start wearing them.

4) Gurdwara Committees, if they get together on this issue, can take up this issue through local radio programs and newspapers. If the committees refuse to get involved in this issue, Gursikhs can get together and do parchaar through the above mentioned means.

To sum it up, educating the sangat is the key to resolving this issue. No sane person, if told and informed, would stay adamant on coming to Gurdwara Sahib half-naked.

Kulbir Singh

Posted by: malton (IP Logged)
Date: November 09, 2007 08:35AM

very good suggestions.

i am going to the gurdwaras shortly to see what can be done.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib