ਪ੍ਰਥਮਰਹਿਤਯਹਿਜਾਨਖੰਡੇਕੀਪਾਹੁਲਛਕੇ॥ ਸੋਈਸਿੰਘਪ੍ਰਧਾਨਅਵਰਨਪਾਹੁਲਜੋਲਏ॥

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

A good story of an honest Patwari and a dishonest Tehsildaar -
Posted by: kulbir singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2007 02:10PM

I would like to share a very lesson-giving story with you all. This is about a Singh in India who is working as a Patwari. His younger brother was the first one to be blessed with amrit and after this, many Singhs started visiting their house. At first, the Patwari Singh was a bit upset since his brother had kept strict Sarbloh Bibek and wouldn’t eat from non-amritdhari hands but gradually as he came to know other Sarblohi Singhs, he started getting attracted towards them. The pyaar of Singhs cleaned his heart of any misunderstanding he had for Singhs.

He reached a point where he now developed thirst to drink the amrit of Siri Dasmesh jee. One of the obstacles in his way was his job. Like other public-dealing jobs in India, this job involved taking and giving kickbacks (bribing) and once he took amrit, it would not befit him to continue this practice. He knew that he would have to be honest at all cost. Placing belief in Siri Guru jee, he finally took the plunge and accepted Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee as his Guru by giving his head to Guru Sahib and in-return receiving Khanday da Amrit plus Gurmat Naam.

After taking amrit, this Patwari Singh now stopped accepting any bribes and started working with full honesty. Three incidents occurred in his life, that really augmented his faith in Guru Sahib.

Refusal to Give or Take Bribes

A group of villagers were waiting for Intakaal of their land property. The registry for the land had been done and intakaal needed to be done, which can only be done by the Tehsildaar (The senior-most officer of a town). Intakaal means registering the property within the office of the Tehsildaar and is done after the registry of the land is done. In most cases, registries and Intakaals cost quite bit of money and patwaris are indespinsible in the whole process.

The villagers, as a norm, approached the Patwari Singh for Intakaals and the Patwari Singh approached the Tehsildar for the same. The Tehsildaar asked Rs.10,000 from each farmer, for doing this task. Part of their conversation took place as follows:

“Listen to me O Tehsildaar. I am a Singh of Guru Gobind Singh jee and I am not going to give or take bribe.”

The Tehsildaar was upset hearing this and said with vengeance, “Don’t consider me to be son of a man, if I don’t make you pay me this money”.

They parted with such heated words and the Patwari Singh approached his union. Since all the office-holders of the union too were corrupt, they did not give too much support to the Singh. The Singh then approached other officials but all in vain. Finally, he thought of going directly to the villagers and told them everything. He candidly told the villagers that if they wanted to save money and not pay the Tehsildaar outrageous amounts of bribery, they should support him. All villagers agreed and some got very upset and even talked about beating up the Tehsildaar.

On the other hand, the Tehsildaar thought of talking to the Patwari Singh one more time and as thus visited him in his office. As they were talking, a wounded Nihung Singh came, with blood dripping from his arms. He was wounded in a fight with someone. He came out of no-where and said he wanted to talk to the honest Patwari Singh. The Patwari Singh asked him the purpose of his visit, at which the Nihung Singh said as follows:

“I got into fight with my opponent and during fight have got seriously wounded. I am going to go to the hospital and possibly to jail too. I have heard that the dusht (evil) Tehsildaar is giving hard time to an honest Patwari Singh and I thought that before going to the hospital and jail, why not fix up that tehsildaar.”

He spoke with rage and the Tehsildaar who was present there knew that this Nihung Singh meant serious business. The Patwari Singh somehow pacified the Nihung Singh and respectfully sent him away. In the meantime, the Tehsildaar found out that he had committed a blunder. He apologised to the Singh and promised that he would never try to falter him from the righteous path he had adopted.

The Singh was absolutely delighted and his hands automatically folded in shukar for Vaheguru. His eyes closed and his surtee got concentrated on Naam-Khanda. His faith in Guru Sahib grew manifold after this incident.

Dealing with the Vigilance Department

The Patwari Singh stopped someone from doing something illegal and this person or persons whom he stopped thought of taking revenge from him. They knew the local MLA who in return called the SSP (Senior Superintendent of Police) Vigilance to take action against a corrupt Patwari. The SSP was sitting with one of his acquaintance to whom he said, “Come let me show you how to trap a Patwari accepting kickbacks”.

The acquaintance of SSP inquired about the Patwari and when he found out that it was the Patwari Singh (we are talking about) he immediately came out in defence of him. He told the SSP that this is one of the most honest person he knows. Then they met the Patwari Singh and found out the truth. The SSP was very impressed by the Patwari Singh and apologised for the misunderstanding.

In the Court of a Contemptuous Judge

At another occasion this Singh had to go to the court of law. The judge, it seems to be, had seriously bad opinion of all Patwaris. When this Singh came on the stand, the judge said many bad things about Patwaris e.g. Patwaris are corrupt, they take kickbacks, they suck people’s blood etc.

The Singh was in a different avastha that day and had taken amrit very recently. He brought his surtee inwards and asked Guru Sahib as to why he was being made to hear all this false and hurting stuff when he does not earn his living by dishonest means. He then started japping Naam.

The court was adjourned for a small break. The Singh kept on japping Naam. Within a few moments, the same judge came to this Singh and very humbly apologised for speaking wrong words for all Patwaris.

The moral of the story is that if a Singh resolves to lead his life by honest means, nothing can stop him and Guru Sahib would always help him.

Another lesson we learn is that a Singh who keeps rehit and japps Naam, is protected by Guru Sahib at all times.

I know this Singh personally and met him during my last two visits to India. He is a very good Singh with clean heart.

Name of the Singh has been withheld at the behest of his brother, who narrated me this story. Hopefully this story will inspire us to lead our lives honestly.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Re: A good story of an honest Patwari and a dishonest Tehsildaar -
Posted by: Khalsaspirit (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2007 03:21PM

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Khalsa jio,

What a avasta that Singh have which sets the example of honesty in the corrupted atmosphere. keeping honesty in honest atomosphere (for example in some westren countries) is easier but keeping honesty in one of such a corrupted department really need a Kamai or poorbali kamai to stay that way. When a GurSikh stand up against these situations Guru Sahib really extend his help and that situation becomes like:

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ॥
ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲ ਅਲੇਪ ॥

Otherwise if we look around even within Gurudwara Sahib's see how corruption is going on. Including us if every Sikh and especially Granthees and others parchariks do bharosa (faith) on Guru Sahib then we do not need to lock the GOLAKS in Gurudwaras. The lock on golak tells some one how honest today's Sikhs are.

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Re: A good story of an honest Patwari and a dishonest Tehsildaar -
Posted by: tarlochan singh manjh (IP Logged)
Date: November 14, 2007 04:24PM

good story i like it

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib