ਚੁਕਾਰਅਜ਼ਹਮਹਹੀਲਤੇਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ਹਲਾਲਅਸਤਬੁਰਦਨਬਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰਦਸਤ॥੨੨॥ (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ੧੦॥)

Akal Purakh Kee Rachha Hamnai, SarbLoh Dee Racchia Hamanai

View Post Listing    |    Search    

Seattle Sikh Attacked in Brutal Hate Crime
Posted by: Mehtab Singh (IP Logged)
Date: November 26, 2007 08:33PM

[www.earthtimes.org]

On Saturday, November 24, 2007, Mr. Singh had stopped to eat when two Seattle police officers approached him and asked him to drive home a man who was in their custody. It was the night of the Apple Cup in Seattle, and the man was intoxicated. Mr. Singh agreed to help the police officers by taking the individual back to his residence, but he never made it there.

On the way home, the man began to verbally abuse Mr. Singh, using religious and racial epithets and threatening to kill him. As his anger escalated, he attacked Mr. Singh from the back seat, knocking off Mr. Singh's turban and pulling his hair so hard that locks of hair came out. Trapped in the I-5 carpool lane, Mr. Singh was forced to stop the car to escape his attacker. His attacker tumbled out onto the highway with him and continued beating Mr. Singh until Washington State Troopers responded to the scene.

Mr. Singh was hospitalized overnight, and has been vomiting ever since he returned home yesterday.

"This is not the first time Sikhs have been targeted out of hate in Seattle. Our public officials need to take a strong stance against bias. We expect that this incident will be investigated and prosecuted as a hate crime," said Jasmit Singh, a member of the board of the Gurdwara Singh Sabha of Washington, and a Sikh Coalition board member.

The attack comes on the heels of a report released by the FBI last week stating that hate crimes rose almost 8% nationally from 2005 to 2006, with over half of the incidents being racially motivated. Religious bias was blamed for approximately 19% of the incidents, while ethnic or national origin accounted for more than 12% of the incidents.

Seattle's 10,000-strong Sikh community is outraged that this vicious attack occurred in their hometown. Community members are particularly concerned that a police report on the incident does not include any information on the bias that motivated the crime.

The victim, Sukhvir Singh, is shaken. "I am in a lot of pain, and don't understand why someone would do this to me. I love America and hope that in my case, justice will be done," he said.

© 2007-2024 Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib